NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sensational three-door model to give new Ford range an added dose of style as it takes on Volkswagen’s Scirocco.
FULL STORY
These world exclusive pictures give the best view yet as to how the newcomer could look. It takes inspiration from the successful shape of the latest Fiesta with its lower grille, which is accompanied by bold headlights and LED spotlights.

The three-door will have slightly stiffer suspension settings than the five-door for more agility and driver appeal.

Power will come from Ford’s new direct-injection, turbo EcoBoost range with base models getting a 1.0-litre unit with either 89bhp or 108bhp. But most sales will come from a new 1.6-litre turbo in 148bhp or 178bhp guise.

Two new oil-burners are also on the way: a 1.6-litre TDCi with 89bhp, 108bhp or 128bhp, and a 2.0-litre with 168bhp or 197bhp. Manual gearboxes will be standard, but there will also be the option of Ford’s PowerShift twin-clutch transmission.

Bring it to America you fools. I'd take it over the VW.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
I'd rock the 197hp version.

·
Super Moderator
46,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!

New Focus on horizon
FULL STORY
Ford shapes up family car for the next decade with dramatic looks and cutting-edge tech.

Set to go on sale in 2010, the third generation of the family car will take the company’s brand values to the next level. It gets a dramatic new look that’s backed up by a range of hi-tech small- capacity turbocharged engines.

New turbocharged EcoBoost engines dominate the line-up. Entry-level models will come with a 1.0-litre four-cylinder turbo unit offering 89bhp or 108bhp, but most variants will get a new 1.6-litre turbo, available with 148bhp or 178bhp outputs.

These units will combine storming pace with low fuel consumption and CO2 emissions to give buyers the best of both worlds. There is also a new range of diesels in the shape of a 1.6 TDCi, delivering up to 128bhp, and a flagship 2.0-litre with 168bhp or 197bhp.

All engines are mated to manual boxes as standard, but Ford will also offer its Powershift twin-clutch transmission. Start-stop technology is set to be rolled out across the range, too.

We reported in Issue 1,054 that Ford bosses were debating when to launch the car. Sources have revealed that it looks as though the Focus and C-MAX compact MPV will be launched simultaneously in 2010.

The models have been developed alongside each other and could be global cars – ie sold in all Ford markets across the world. They would follow in the footsteps of the latest Fiesta, which goes on sale in China later this year, and in the US in 2010.

I'd drive it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I think ford heading the right way, their cars get more attractive with every generation.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I saw the Focus ST on Top Gear.

Clarkson liked it.

Too bad we still get the same tired old Focus platform from ~2000 instead of the ultra-premium European Focus based on the Volvo S40/Mazda3 platform.

·
Super Moderator
46,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update!

Ford's new Focus family
Ford aims to take its next top-seller to a whole new level – and we have all the amazing details.
FULL STORY

When it makes its debut next year, the MkIII Focus family will offer something for everyone – from a stylish five-door hatchback to a head-turning SUV, as well as a stunning RS super-hatch.

A new range of EcoBoost turbo petrol engines will be available, as will updated TDCi diesels. The former includes 89bhp or 108bhp 1.0-litre units and a 170bhp 1.6. Diesel fans can choose from a 128bhp 1.6 or a 2.0-litre with 168bhp or 197bhp.

Taking its position at the head of the pack will be an all-new Focus RS. To keep weight and costs down without affecting performance, Ford engineers will carry over the existing model’s front-wheel-drive layout.

However, the thirsty 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbo unit is to be dropped in favour of a more efficient 2.0-litre EcoBoost turbo. This should deliver more than the current 301bhp.
They've got all of their bases covered, damn.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Where does the Fusion fit into all this or am I too assume this is another Volkswagon path (Jetta small car/mid size Passat actual midsize and CC full size)

Well in that case I will probably downgrade to a Focus or Fiesta depending on pricing and fuel economy.

·
Impossibru !
527 Posts
America gets the ugly cars. :D

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
The yellow vert looks like Pikachu. :chuckles:

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Ford should bring the Focus RS to the states. I saw it on Top Gear putting out like 300ish HP I think and it looks REALLY good. I just dont get why Europe had better Fords then America :shrugs:

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Ford should bring the Focus RS to the states. I saw it on Top Gear putting out like 300ish HP I think and it looks REALLY good. I just dont get why Europe had better Fords then America :shrugs:
Because they are pretty much Volvos from the chassis to the labor. Ford is trying to make "one" model for all their cars that will be international. So you should start to see a little bit of the "Europe" design in future Fords. The problem is that the diesel engines that are so great in the Focus in Europe woul never sell in America. Maybe that will change if there is another gas spike.

As far as the RS Focus goes I think it would not be worth it. Mazda sells what like "1300-2000" Mazdaspeed 3s? You are not going to get a massive discount on parts/labor (which is what Ford needs to remain competitive) ordering 5 cylinder engines for 1500 cars. Mind you the Celica was canned with sales dipped below 2,000. Now the same engine is in the Corolla that probably sells at least 100,000 cars a year.

If people want a entry level sports car 9 out of 10 Americans think Mustang before Mazdaspeed 3. In fact I bet close to 50 percent of America does not know about the "speed" label of cars.

·
Oh. Snap. Ohsnapohsnap
2,517 Posts
Looks good. As usual, not surprised that our stateside versions here will be the same old vanilla.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Ford Faurus. :laugh:

I'd dig a Focus RS, despite the gaping mouth.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Taurus
Fusion
Focus
Fiesta

In that order. Each car down the line is obviously smaller, weaker (hp) and more fuel efficient than the other.
Might as well just have had the Taurus carry the Lincoln badge anyways and make the Fusion your biggest car.

I can not see why anyone would want to own a Focus over a Fiesta. They are both in the same price range (stupid on Fords part to have a fully loaded Fiesta MSRP at 19,000) and yet it seems that the Fiesta will get better economy, have better options, better build quality and from the amount of airbags it looks to rate better on insurance.

Finally if they are making that 4 door Focus which I assume will have a better built quality than the current Focus how good is the new Fusion? I mean hell I would probably get a Focus over a Fusion when that new one drops.

It is like the Jetta. The Jetta is the biggest small car in its class and yet it is almost classifed as a mid-size, but you are still selling the Passat as a mid size. I am not saying it does not make sense to the market, just not to me. Then again we do not have numbers or demographics of sales so maybe Ford knows what they are doing.
A fully loaded Fiesta should not cost more than 15,000.

1 - 20 of 270 Posts