NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 303 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rumormill: 2012 Honda Civic details circulate
According to an article in Mag-X (via Temple of VTEC), Honda is hard at work wrapping up the design for the next-gen Civic that's expected to debut in 2011 as a 2012 model. As is customary from Honda, the Japanese, European and North American markets are all expected to get their own unique versions of the popular Civic, with Americans getting their preferred sedan and coupe body styles and the other countries each receiving differing takes on the hatchback theme.

As you would expect, there will be a hybrid version of the 2012 Civic, and it's again slated to get a 1.5-liter gasoline-powered engine mated to Honda's Integrated Motor Assist technology. This power plant will reportedly be shared with the upcoming CR-Z hybrid hatchback where it will be available with either an automatic CVT transmission or six-speed manual.

I'll comment when there's an actual concept car.

·
Super Moderator
43,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!

Honda delays Civic redesign
Honda's redesigned Civic will not arrive until 2011, well past the typical five-year product cadence that would have landed the next-generation subcompact in dealer showrooms this fall.

Changing market conditions and tougher fuel economy and emissions regulations affected the development of the upcoming Civic, John Mendel, American Honda Motor Co.'s executive vice president, said in an interview.

"In general, we are not changing cycles," he said. "We change vehicles as need be. The ability to do something based on more current information is better than waiting a full model cycle. Some of that is being able to have the opportunity to change [based on] what you see happening in the marketplace."
:shrugs: Do what you got to do.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
If the next generation civic gains ANY weight from the previous generation.... it is dead to me forever.

·
Super Moderator
43,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!

Spy Shots: 2012 Honda Civic
Back in May, our intrepid spy shooters managed to snap off a series of images showing the next-gen European Honda Civic hiding in plain sight under an amalgam of ill-fitting current-gen bodywork. The latest set of spy photos seen here prove that Honda's little compact hatchback is progressing along rather nicely.

Unlike previous spy photos, it's clear that the car being tested is wearing its new bodywork... though it's obviously obscured as much as possible with funky matte black panels with strategically placed cutouts for doors, lights and glass. In any case, we can see a clear hatchback body design, as you would expect for the European market, along with an overtly wedge-like profile.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
It's very prius like. The hood is too round, reminds me of a Yaris type car.

Prediction: it's gonna suck.

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's very prius like. The hood is too round, reminds me of a Yaris type car.

Prediction: it's gonna suck.
You could thank the EU for that. The E.U. requires the front and hood to be "pedestrian safe" in case of a head on collision, hence increase egg shape of cars as of late.

A lot of the new safety standards increases weight of the car. It's extremely stupidly difficult to follow government regulations of decreasing gas consumption while increase safety w/ weight. It's like "this is a fuel efficient HEAVY car." Doesn't work that way. I mean, those old skoo civics get 40+ MPG because of it's 1.6L engine AND being barely 2300lbs. Extra 500lbs does increase a lot of load to small engines.

Now if we could get hydrogen hybrids cheaply, then that's a different story. =P

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
You could thank the EU for that. The E.U. requires the front and hood to be "pedestrian safe" in case of a head on collision, hence increase egg shape of cars as of late.

A lot of the new safety standards increases weight of the car. It's extremely stupidly difficult to follow government regulations of decreasing gas consumption while increase safety w/ weight. It's like "this is a fuel efficient HEAVY car." Doesn't work that way. I mean, those old skoo civics get 40+ MPG because of it's 1.6L engine AND being barely 2300lbs. Extra 500lbs does increase a lot of load to small engines.

Now if we could get hydrogen hybrids cheaply, then that's a different story. =P
Yup, pretty much summed it up there.

Personally I say to hell with safety features, they only increase the number of sloppy, indecisive, and downright horrible drivers on the road.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Yup, pretty much summed it up there.

Personally I say to hell with safety features, they only increase the number of sloppy, indecisive, and downright horrible drivers on the road.
This is why I love old cars.

My 944 doesn't have power steering, cupholders, TC, DSC etc - its got ABS.

My Boxster doesn't have cupholders or any electronic stability, but it does have power steering and ABS.

Going from the Boxster into almost any other car makes the newer car feel totally numb, yet going from the 944 S into the Boxster makes driving the Boxster feel like I'm wearing a condom. Power steering really kills feedback and steering feel.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The newer and more luxurious the features, the more the car dies in my opinion.

I also prefer older cars. As for the new[esque] civics, the front is thin and stout, and the rear is big and clunky-looking. Much like the vague body silhouette on these spy shots. To me, the civic died in like, 2000.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I like the current (not new) Civic SI. It's like modernizing the late 90s version of the Civic SI. It handles and feels better, too.

The name Civic still lives, but it isn't the little zippy car we once knew. Just like most Americans, average civic is getting bigger and heavier.

·
Super Moderator
43,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update!

Honda Civic Hatch Prototype with Full Hybrid System Snagged Testing
According to our man with the long lens, the two prototype Civics "left the traffic lights in complete silence", which points to a full hybrid set up with the ability to run on electric power only.

The next generation of the Civic is due for release in 2011 or 2012 the latest. Aside from the hybrid model with gasoline-electric technology which could be offered in Europe in both hatchback and sedan forms, Honda has also confirmed the development of a smaller displacement turbo diesel engine that will fit right under the current 2.2-liter i-DTEC unit.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
That's not a civic, honda needs to kill the name since they are going to kill the ride. From the side it's just as ugly as the X6.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,264 Posts
Well, it's the current Euro Civic body, which has me a bit puzzled, why bother with different body panel colors, it only gives away the testbed status more. :shrugs:

EDIT: Here's a pic.

1 - 20 of 303 Posts