NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Super Moderator
50,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Toyota Dedicated Hybrid Concept
Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. will stage the world debut of a new dedicated hybrid concept vehicle during the 2010 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The vehicle will be revealed during a news conference held on Monday, January 11th in the Riverview Ballroom at COBO Hall. News conference schedules are being finalized and exact timing will be revealed in the coming weeks.

Based on those pics it looks like it's the size of the iQ. Miniature Prius anyone?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I have a feeling it will look a bit weird.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Not much is known about this car, but one thing is for sure.

It will be ghey.

·
Super Moderator
50,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYe67uEXDiw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYe67uEXDiw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fyu8f5ud22s&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fyu8f5ud22s&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

First Look: Toyota FT CH Concept
Looking for a smaller Prius? Toyota officially announced the Prius sub-brand of vehicles (all powered by the Hybrid Synergy Drive system) will become a reality at the 2010 Detroit auto show. Toyota's FT CH concept will be smaller and cheaper than the current Prius if it reaches production. Though the FT CH is quite a bit smaller than the Prius, it is nearly as wide and has been designed to maximize interior volume.

No details have been released as yet about platform, powertrain, battery, or performance, but it's likely that the car will be sufficiently smaller and lighter to accommodate an engine that's smaller than anything currently on offer in a U.S. Toyota. A smaller Nickel-Metal-Hydride battery pack will probably be used in order to keep the price down, but if Lithium-Ion technology is not out of the question if the prices fall enough. Downsizing and light-weighting of all components, along with continued improvements in efficiency will probably lower prices to within spitting distance of rival Honda's Insight, though the more sophisticated hybrid system is likely to deliver superior fuel economy.

Toyota Unveils Compact Dedicated Hybrid Concept, Reveals Future Plan for 'Prius Family' North American Marketing Strategy
The FT-CH is a concept that would address Toyota's stated strategy to offer a wider variety of conventional hybrid choices to its customers, as it begins to introduce plug-in hybrids (PHVs) and battery electrics (BEVs) in model year 2012, and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles (FCHVs) in 2015 in global markets.

"Within the next 10 to 20 years, we will not only reach peak oil we will enter a period where demand for all liquid fuels will exceed supply," said Jim Lentz, TMS president. "A century after the invention of the automobile, we must re-invent it with powertrains that significantly reduce or eliminate the use of conventional petroleum fuels. One of many alternatives is through what is commonly called the electrification of the automobile. By far, the single most successful example of this has been the gas-electric hybrid."

The CH stands for compact hybrid as in compact class and it's a concept that can best be defined by comparing it with the mid-size class Prius. The FT-CH captures the spirit and functionality of a car that thrives in the inner-city environment; sized right to be nimble, responsive and maneuverable.

"It's a package Toyota dealers and customers have been asking for," added Lentz.
The FT-CH was styled at Toyota's European Design and Development (ED

·
Super Moderator
50,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update!

Toyota plans 'sporty' hybrids
Toyota’s powertrain guru, Gerald Killman, confirmed the company would be launching more hybrids and its current hybrid system could lend itself to sporty driving characteristics.

“Our hybrid technology is adaptable,” he claimed. “There is flexibility in the application of our hybrid system; we don’t want to develop a new one when we can give ours more character.”

Toyota has long been rumoured to be developing a sporty hybrid to rival the Honda CR-Z. The FT-CH concept from the Detroit show in January previewed how such a car might look.

Asked whether new hybrids would also take the Prius name to make a family of cars, Killman said, “That’s for the marketing department to decide.”

·
Super Moderator
50,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update!

2012 Toyota Prius C Concept Revealed
Toyota has today unveiled its vision of the future for the small hybrid, in the form of the Prius C Concept.

Essentially a restyled version of the Toyota FT-CH concept, the Prius C Concept is described as an "eco-sensitive, high-mileage, fun-to-drive Prius."

Primarily a city car, the Prius C is aimed at young singles and couples that want both a stylish urban mover and the knowledge that their car's carbon footprint is as low as possible.

Like the FT-CH, the Prius C is around 560mm shorter than the regular Toyota Prius, while maintaining nearly of its width - only 25mm has been cut from its sides, giving it a much sportier look than its larger sibling.

While Toyota has offered little in the way of technical details at this stage, the Prius C has been confirmed for an international market debut in the first half of 2012.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
It looks ok. Would have been too much to ask for it to be rwd I suppose.

·
Bazinga.
3,255 Posts
i like the mesh office desk chairs lol. im really not enjoying any of these snapshots.

·
Super Moderator
50,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would have been too much to ask for it to be rwd I suppose.
No worries, the FT-86 is coming out next year and its four-door counterpart (rumored) a year after that. :chuckles:

Regardless I love the car, but hate the interior.
Honestly, I'm surprised to read that from you. I half expected you to trash the Prius C and say that some competing model from another manufacturer is better. I agree with you, I like this car, too. It's going to be a cheaper, lighter, more fuel-efficient and arguably better looking than its bigger sibling.

·
Banned
1,470 Posts
Honestly, I'm surprised to read that from you. I half expected you to trash the Prius C and say that some competing model from another manufacturer is better. I agree with you, I like this car, too. It's going to be a cheaper, lighter, more fuel-efficient and arguably better looking than its bigger sibling.
I looked at a Prius for a while I could just never get anyone to come down on pricing. This is when gas prices were at their lowest 2 years ago, but that did not matter.

Plus I have no brand loyalty. I just like what Ford is doing. I wouldn't be driving a Fusion if it wasn't for employee pricing.

·
New Mexico Representative
770 Posts
Give me 100+ mpg and I'd drive it.

·
Super Moderator
50,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update!

Toyota Prius C Caught Testing
The C -- for city-centric -- is the new smaller and cheaper product out of the Prius family. The 2011 Toyota Prius starts at $22,120 and returns 51/48 mpg. A smaller, cheaper version with better / same fuel economy seems like a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
'Rear looks like a Mazda 5.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Under wraps, it looks like a bigger Scion/Toyota iQ, which might not be a bad thing. But yeah, if they can sell it at 22K, Toyota's gonna be printing money like Nintendo. :chuckles:

1 - 20 of 85 Posts