NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spied: Next-Gen Toyota Yaris Just Wants to Grow Up
Our ever-savvy spy shooters have caught what they believe is the next-generation Toyota Yaris B-segment car out testing its cooling and braking systems on European roads. The mule, they claim is built from both current Yaris componentry as well as that from the rest-of-the-world Auris - a slightly larger Corolla-based hatchback (we get the slightly larger Matrix in the U.S.).

The future Yaris mule, our shooters say, appears to be both wider and longer than the current car, which would help to explain some of the Auris improvisation. Rumors of hybrid and electric versions of the next-gen Yaris continue to swirl on the Web, while naysayers remark that packaging constrictions and high development and technology cost will keep this budget-minded B-seg player powered strictly by internal combustion. What we do know is that if an electric Yaris is built, it will likely not be sold in the U.S. where Toyota is said to be planning on making a version of its diminutive Scion iQ it's designated small EV.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,263 Posts
It's a mule, it's not supposed to look good. BTW, the body is all Yaris, nothing of the Auris there, it's just a Yaris sedan with a Yaris hatch grafted to it. The reporters saw more in it than there is.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Every damn new model has to grow each generation. The Yaris of tomorrow will be equivalent to today's Corolla and they'll have to introduce a new model. While the Corolla creeps up on the Camry, etc., etc.

Idiots.

My '00 Celica is HUGELY bigger than the '78 Civic I drove years back. THAT's why nobody gets 40+mpg NA anymore.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,263 Posts
Every damn new model has to grow each generation. The Yaris of tomorrow will be equivalent to today's Corolla and they'll have to introduce a new model. While the Corolla creeps up on the Camry, etc., etc.
Trust me, however wrote that article isn't well informed about this test mule or about Toyota's cars and has been misled with information. There is absolutely nothing of the Toyota Auris (Corolla) in that test mule. I drive a Yaris sedan daily, here's a few pics:

Here's a Yaris 5-door hatch:

That's all it is, a combo of sedan and hatch and knowing Toyota it will be more fuel efficient than the outgoing model. I consider this a fail on the part of Motor Trend.

Here's a pic of an Auris hatch for comparison:

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Just saying that the Corolla used to be that size...

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
Why does it look like 1/4 of another car was welded on to the back? It makes it look like a wagon, not a hatch.

·
Super Moderator
43,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update!

Toyota Yaris hybrid in 2012
Toyota will launch a hybrid version of the Yaris in 2012.

The firm said in a statement that it would make a “small hybrid car” at its Valenciennes plant in France from 2012, which is also where the Yaris is built.

Toyota did not name the Yaris as its next hybrid, but Autocar understands it is the model in question and is the latest model in Toyota’s plans to have a hybrid version of every car in its range by 2020.

"This decision fits in Toyota's strategy to extend the full hybrid technology to an increasing number of models,” read the statement.

The Yaris hybrid will be the third hybrid in Toyota’s range, joining the Prius and Auris, and would be the second to be built in Europe; the Auris hybrid is built in Britain. It would rival the Honda Jazz hybrid, which will be launched at the Paris motor show next week.

·
Super Moderator
43,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2012 Toyota Yaris First Photo

2012 Toyota Yaris First Photo
The Japanese from Toyota have big plans for their new interpretation of the Yaris, a model that is gearing up for a big remodeling for the model year 2012. Expected to be unveiled for the first time at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show, the first photos of the car have been leaked in a catalog coming straight from Japan.

I like the new evil look.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts