·
Registered
4,111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
The "Toyobaru" is "Still on Track"
If you've recently read a story or two about the delay, or even the demise, of the compact sport coupe that Toyota and Subaru are jointly working on, don't believe it. That's the message from knowledgeable PR sources in Japan, who tell Inside Line that this intriguing sports car program is still very much on track.

Both representatives from Toyota and Subaru's press offices in Tokyo have recently denied the story. "The project is still on track, according to the info I have on hand," says a Toyota spokesperson.

What has changed is the production site. The original idea was for Subaru to build a completely new factory in Oizumi, in Japan's Gunma prefecture, to build the car. But the economic crisis has now prompted Subaru to can that project, so the Toyobaru, when it is built, will be made inside Subaru's long-serving Gunma main plant, which is now due to be refurbished.
Believe what you will.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
The bet's still on marc.

It will come to America as a Scion for the Toyota version.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Toyobaru RWD rumoured to be named Celica!

:fawk: Looks like they will be reviving the name once and for all.... obviously we all know about the car but now that it's actually called Celica it takes on a whole different meaning to the members of this forum. I guess it's all in the name....

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/23/report-toyota-reviving-celica-name-for-joint-subaru-rwd-car/

The last report about the on again/off again sports car being developed jointly by Toyota and Subaru was that it's on again. Today comes word from L'Automobile in France that not only is the rear-wheel-drive Toyubaru going to happen, but it will arrive bearing the Celica name sometime in 2010. If Wikipedia is to be believed, this would be the eighth generation of the Celica, which traces its roots all the way back to 1970 when it debuted in Japan as an inexpensive rear-wheel-drive sports car. Through the years it switched to front- and all-wheel drive, with the final seventh generation Celica sold from 2000 - 2005 being a strict cart puller. L'Automobile claims that Thierry Dombreval, Toyota's VP of sales and marketing in France, spilled the beans on reviving the Celica name, so we won't consider this news solid until a second source comes forward or Toyota officially confirms it, neither of which is likely to happen. So for now all you Celica fans should just sit tight and light a few candles for your cause.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
So? Toyota and now Subaru are just shadows of what they used to be before the year 2000.

The only thing they are going to get probably is to sink a little further the name "celica" in the mud with this new version.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,265 Posts
I was growing rather fond of owning the last generation of the Celica. This thing's been on again off again so much that I just shrug off any report as just rumours.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Toyota is going to show this concept on the 2009 Tokyo Auto Show in October.

Another highlight of the Toyota stand will be the reveal of a project rumored to have been put on hold — the Toyota-Subaru jointly developed rear-wheel-drive coupe that employs an Impreza platform and drivetrain. To improve mileage and emissions of the current normally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine, Toyota has developed a unique head unit for the boxer power plant, said to generate around 220 horsepower. Toyota will also display a full range of hybrid and plug-in hybrid vehicles as well as the latest EV and battery technology.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Lies.

If the FT-HS came out as the supra with a hybrid option, people would have eaten that car up for breakfast with steadily increasing sales, assuming the interior, performance, and reliability were OK to the competitors. 6 Cylinders and 30 mpg in a RWD sports car would have been a great selling point.

If they can't TRD this up, or throw some scion badges on it to hype it up to kids, oh well. I bet the NA variant will go to scion, and the hybrid variant will stay with Toyota. But I doubt that since that would attack prius sales. A hybrid 370z fighter with 30 mpg would be a better choice.

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is always a big difference between what youngsters want and what they actually buy!
Supra cost around $40,000 when the dollar had more value. Too expensive for a student. That's why people didn't buy it.

You can go and buy Lexus IS-F with 416hp for $56,000 or Lexus GS Hybrid with 340hp for $56,000. Do you have enough money?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I remember late '99 when the 7th gen first hit. The looks really were polarizing at that time. Folks either loved it or hated it.

I drove by the local dealership every day for two weeks when the SCC article came out on it. After that, I know I WANTED to like the looks more. It wasn't another 2 wks when I started to call local dealerships and ask about the as-yet unarrived GT-S model.

This time around it looks like too little power and that prior-gen Ford Focus rear fender is a huge turn-off. *Shrugs* I guess, since Subaru's involved, it had to be beaten with the ugly stick. *Laugh*

But, remember, back in late '99, the GT-S stickered for right at 25K or so.

Even if they dropped a 2zz in it, you'd get 7th-gen GT-S speed, but I can't imagine the car would handle or look/feel as nice.

Time will tell if it grows on me or if they put any decent drivetrain in it.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
More "news" on the 086A

http://www.7tune.com/086a-to-use-new-legacy-base/

The Second Coming..

With rumors of cancellations and postponements abound for the new Toyota/Subaru sports car, new rumors have sprung up showing that Toyota are still in fact keeping to plan and not letting the global financial crisis get in the way of development.

New Legacy Base

With the green light on for a new coupe to follow in the footsteps of the

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'd rather see a Toyota-only effort. I don't understand their aversion to doing it...

·
Super Moderator
43,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #200 (Edited)
Update!

2012 Toyota/Subaru Sports Coupe
If this future car truly is a reincarnation of the AE86, Toyota and Subaru will have a big hit on their hands.

In fact, most of the engineering seems to be coming from the company known for its all-wheel-drive rally cars. Powering the future coupe will be Subaru's 2.0-liter flat-4 equipped with a new direct-injection system, tuned to produce an impressive 200 bhp and 145 lb.-ft. of torque. We predict the car will weigh about 2700 lb., so expect fairly quick acceleration times, probably around 6.0 sec. to 60 mph. The suspension will consist of MacPherson struts up front and a multilink setup at the rear, with the chassis based on that of the Subaru Impreza and Legacy.

Toyota will mainly be in charge of the car's styling. Although both Toyota and Subaru versions will be offered, the two models won't look much different, apart from badging — think Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe.
No new info about the car, with the exception of this new rendering.

181 - 200 of 6273 Posts