NewCelica.org Forum banner

321 - 340 of 6281 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well we don't know what the power of the engine will be, for the time being the press thought its the 2.0 litre boxer N/A which is yes weak hp. But a preview from the GT5 shows an engine code called C-45 Boxer. So this is not the same 2.0 litre you get in Impreza ( I think it's called EJ20).

Plus, if this car is to be the spiritual succesor of AE86 it must be able to do one thing and be really good at it: drifiting. So there should be ample power and torque to carry the weight. Enough to make it slide like a champ.

Furthermore the man behind this project is the boss himself Mr Toyoda, the grandson of the founder of Toyota; a well known petrol head. He was influental to get Lexus LF-A into production (a car which was forever delayed). He even raced it on the 24 hour race.

So with this sort of CEO behind the wheel, we Toyota fan should be happy. At least he is trying his best to bring back good old Toyota affordable sports car back. If there is any hope to see another affordable Toyota sports car then this is it.

Still 2 years to go until we see it on the road, so time to save up and hope for the best.

·
Super Moderator
44,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #322 (Edited)
Toyota goes sporty with FT-86
“Sports cars have to be red, but we wanted a new red,” chief engineer Tetsuya Tada said. “So we came up with shoujyouhi red, the traditional red color of a Japanese monkey's” backside.

Toyota and Fuji Heavy plan to start producing a sporty car in late 2011.

Toyota will be responsible for most of the engineering. Fuji Heavy will supply the horizontally opposed engine and manufacture the car at a Subaru plant.
Club Lexus chop.

Supraforums chops.

NASIOC chop.

Subaru's new coupe plans

Subaru has started design work on its own version of the co-developed 'Toyobaru' coup

·
Argentum Chaos Vae Victis
6,652 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Aren't all Subaru cars AWD?

It will have to have a new NA boxer engine. The current 170hp NA boxer won't cut it. I'd guess it will get a high revving 2.0L with 200hp. If the car weighs 2500lb, then 200hp gives it about the same power to weight ratio as the 3229lb 265hp WRX.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
I those are a PITA to modify relative to port injection engines... the tech is still fairly new to tuners.
Modifying them is not hard. Tuning is harder though.

But it seems that companies like Cobb & Vishnu already have a grasp of it.

Direct Injection is a great thing, hell, look at the gains found with simple bolt-ons on a 3.6 Caddy CTS

That was just with a Corsa Exhaust & an Intake. Granted, not all DI engines will see exactly the same increases as this one, but fairly close.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
^^^ Cool, thanks!

So Cobb already has user friendly engine management for DI engines? Is there another DI fuel pump option besides the pricey APR ones?

But a preview from the GT5 shows an engine code called C-45 Boxer
Oh -- forgot to respond to this. I know it looks a bit like a "C", but that first character is actually most likely a "D", and the engine is really badged as a "D-4S".

D-4S is the code for the new Toyota direct injection system the motor is supposed to be getting.

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/environment/powertrain/engine/

http://paultan.org/2009/10/09/toyota-ft-86-to-feature-d-4s-boxer-engine/

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
OOps, I thought the engine code reads C-45, it's actualy D-4S!
Hey -- I just noticed that the D-4S system involves a combo of DI and PI -- that's interesting, because it suggests you could leave the DI alone, and just upgrade the regular injectors to accomodate power mods.

Neat-o.

http://www2.toyota.co.jp/en/tech/environment/powertrain/engine/

And given D-4S tech, some decent power might be extracted from the otherwise lackluster performance of the N/A 2.0 engine

http://www.globalpost.com/webblog/wheels/toyota-ft-86-feature-d-4s-boxer-engine

321 - 340 of 6281 Posts