NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 40 of 6273 Posts

·
Oh. Snap. Ohsnapohsnap
2,517 Posts
doesn't look THAT bad, i think the wheel wells are flared out a bit too much though, i would consider buying this car as a DD, with still being able to put a little bit here and there into it along the way, but hell, i'm tired of seeing all these "upcoming" pics of future toyotas, let's get them rolling already...and THUMBS down for the part that says "target group: europe"

·
Daddy Daycare
20,265 Posts
This is the kind of thread I enjoy, devoid of needless flamewars LOL

I can dig the thing, styling doesn't offend and it's RWD.

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
mixed feelings on how the concept looks. although it resembles the tC, it looks better probably less pudgy. 110hp EL15 doesn't bother me though... i'm just glad to hear Toyota is making a cheap rwd. Just sucks that they're aiming towards the european group.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Zenith said:
perhaps it'll have different engine options in the u.s. if it makes it here. it is after all very common for that to happen.
Well, franky, even a 1ZZ or the scion engine (what the hell is its code...? I can't remember) would be a HUGE upgrade over that 1.5 engine they intend to put in there.

Basically, it will weigh as much as a GT, but have considerably less torque and power. We're not exactly talking a rocket here. This car needs some help to get moving. Hopefully, it will have awesome handling, though.

The fact that the rear differential is described as the "weak link" is worrisome... that may mean if you add FI you need to replace the dif as well.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
jlitman said:
Well, franky, even a 1ZZ or the scion engine (what the hell is its code...? I can't remember) would be a HUGE upgrade over that 1.5 engine they intend to put in there.

Basically, it will weigh as much as a GT, but have considerably less torque and power. We're not exactly talking a rocket here. This car needs some help to get moving. Hopefully, it will have awesome handling, though.

The fact that the rear differential is described as the "weak link" is worrisome... that may mean if you add FI you need to replace the dif as well.
It will however have rwd. The 240sx while having a pos (power wise) motor could still do some extremely difficult things for a novice to even try (deffinately a car one can grow with). Also, since it seems like they're trying to make it a parts bin car it should have some compatible existing swaps. Especially if it is a subby rear diff.

IMO I would be disappointed with a Tc motor. There is decent power down low but it falls on it's face in the upper rpm. At least that's my experiance from driving a Tc. A new version of the 2zz would be ideal (imo) if it had the proper gearing and a box that wasn't fragile.

Honestly, I would enjoy an old ca18det. Reguardless I think it will be very interesting to see how they pull off a small motor entry level "sports" rwd. Especially considering most a to b cars are rather quick now.

edit-- did a bit of checking, apparently subby likes to use the r160 and r180 rear diffs which are upgradable to r200 (silvia diff) which with some more mods is upgradable to the r230 (z32 fairlady z) if they go with one of those, and i suspect they will it shouldn't be to big a deal, a simple junkyard visit away or about $200 for viscous lsd :D

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My theory right now stands as such...

RWD toyotaru = Scion badged ae-86 ******* child
FT-HS = Toyota badged celica revival
LF-A = Lexus badged supra offspring

Good to hear this all, though. I foresee easy engine swaps and AWD swaps in plentiful numbers. It'll win back the hearts of all the poor-toyota fans and breed a new generation of Toyo-fanboys... hopefully.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Meh...It looks like a Scion to me.

1.5...we suck again.

I'm tired of seeing Toyota building cars w/ accessories. We offer a S/C for 4K installed!

Don't want to engine swap, or have to pull the motor to beef the insides.

I want a pocket rocket, that people walk up to and ask, "So what'cha ya done!?"
Welp I put gas in it, I start it, and I...drive it.

Start building the reputation of a solid motor like the 4G/2JZA/RB/SR.

Just pull what the dodge or cheeby boys did w/ the SRT or SS cobalt cept' make it right way wheel drive and call it a day.

Don't think it's that hard to build a 2 door coupe/right way drive/ S/C or Turbo/ Ton of factory backed go-fass parts. Especially with the help of Scoobaru.

220HP+ stock. Plenty for the masses, but plenty of room to expand on since the motor is built for boost.

IMO they would make a killing in the 16-25yr old age group.

Think about if the 7th gen was set up like a all-trac? SERIOUSLY.

Killer looks, great handling, AWD, and plenty of power with room to expand.

They're killing in sales right meow, take a chance and build something everyone wants.

Who cares if it's Scion or Yota. Wake up the testosterone and bring back the days of yore!

Instead of building something sub-par, for the masses, and just "enough".

Sidenote--->>Quit with the whole "read only" ECU's too. I'm quite jealous of everyone else having access to tune the ECU, but us.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
TRD1zz00GT said:

1.5...we suck again.

I'm tired of seeing Toyota building cars w/ accessories. We offer a S/C for 4K installed!

Just pull what the dodge or cheeby boys did w/ the SRT or SS cobalt cept' make it right way wheel drive and call it a day.

Don't think it's that hard to build a 2 door coupe/right way drive/ S/C or Turbo/ Ton of factory backed go-fass parts. Especially with the help of Scoobaru.

220HP+ stock. Plenty for the masses, but plenty of room to expand on since the motor is built for boost.

They're killing in sales right meow, take a chance and build something everyone wants.

Who cares if it's Scion or Yota. Wake up the testosterone and bring back the days of yore!

Sidenote--->>Quit with the whole "read only" ECU's too. I'm quite jealous of everyone else having access to tune the ECU, but us.
you clearly have no concept of how Toyota has achieved world domination, sells cars, or conducts marketing

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
TRD1zz00GT said:

1.5...we suck again.

What you're describing is basically a WRX.

·
Registered
261 Posts
neological said:
What you're describing is basically a WRX.
Yup, Yup.

Scooby did it with the WRX.

Mazda did it with the Speed 3.

Should be no reason Yota can't build something in same price/powa range.

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
marc said:
and in doing so, they alienated buyers such as myself
sad but true, I predicted this but its unfortunate. Also reminds people that naysayers in the performance car world have jack to do with what sells and makes money.

Although toyota fans should know exactly how that feels.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-02-2007/0004674533&EDATE=

Subaru September Sales Reach 20-Year High
- Subaru Impreza sales lead the way with best September ever -

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Oct. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America, Inc. today reported its best September sales in 20 years with a total of 16,457 units, up two percent from the same period last year. Sales of the all-new 2008 Subaru Impreza lead the way by posting the line's best September sales total in the company's history.

"September was our first full month of sales for the new 2008 Subaru Impreza," said Tim Colbeck, vice president of sales, Subaru of America, Inc. "The market has responded with enthusiasm to the new product and we see this trend continuing through the end of the year."

Subaru Tribeca sales were up 19 percent with 1,730 units in September. Also up for the month were sales of the Subaru Legacy that recorded sales of 6,777 units, a 5 percent increase over last year. The Subaru Outback accounted for 4,796 sales units of the Legacy line total. Subaru Forester recorded a September total of 3,746 units, while the Subaru Impreza was up 11 percent with a September record of 4,195 units for the month. The discontinued Subaru Baja also recorded 9 units in September.

For a complete sales chart and additional information about Subaru of America, Inc. and Subaru vehicles, visit our media website at http://www.media.subaru.com.

About Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru of America, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J., the company markets and distributes Subaru Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of more than 600 dealers across the United States. Subaru makes the best-selling All-Wheel Drive car sold in America based on R.L. Polk & Co. new vehicle retail registration statistics. For additional information visit http://www.subaru.com.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
21 - 40 of 6273 Posts