NewCelica.org Forum banner

41 - 60 of 6274 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
First Sketch Of The Rear-Wheel Drive Subaru Impreza Coupe?

Ever since Toyota started riding Subaru, we'd heard the rumors. Supposedly, that sketch right there

·
Registered
261 Posts
Update: Car is confirmed...2010,2011

From Jalopnik

Yesterday we showed you a concept sketch of an alleged coupe to be made by a Subaru-Toyota partnership. Scratch the "alleged" as we now have official confirmation in the form of an official statement from Toyota CEO Katsuaki "Ken" Watanabe:

The compact rear-wheel drive sports car is envisioned to offer a new 'fun to drive' experience based on an all-new vehicle platform."

In addition we're told production will start in 2010, and Subaru's boxer four-cylinder engines will be used. The RWD Subie sports car should be available in late 2010, with the Toyota coming a few months afterwards in early 2011.

No names have been given for the two new vehicles, though the fan-boy forums are abuzz with rumors like "Subaru Impreza Coupe" or "New Toyota Supra." Both valid options and ideas. We guess we'll have to wait a year or so. Although the last drop of information wrung from Ken today was that the two new cars will be made at a new Subaru factory in Gunma, Japan. Although that facility hasn't yet been built. All of this comes on news Toyota confirmed that it's increasing its ownership stake in Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries, from 8.7% to 16.5%. What a day, eh? [AutoCar, MotorAuthority, Automotive News]

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Update: Car is confirmed...2010,2011

From Jalopnik

Yesterday we showed you a concept sketch of an alleged coupe to be made by a Subaru-Toyota partnership. Scratch the "alleged" as we now have official confirmation in the form of an official statement from Toyota CEO Katsuaki "Ken" Watanabe:

The compact rear-wheel drive sports car is envisioned to offer a new 'fun to drive' experience based on an all-new vehicle platform."

In addition we're told production will start in 2010, and Subaru's boxer four-cylinder engines will be used. The RWD Subie sports car should be available in late 2010, with the Toyota coming a few months afterwards in early 2011.

No names have been given for the two new vehicles, though the fan-boy forums are abuzz with rumors like "Subaru Impreza Coupe" or "New Toyota Supra." Both valid options and ideas. We guess we'll have to wait a year or so. Although the last drop of information wrung from Ken today was that the two new cars will be made at a new Subaru factory in Gunma, Japan. Although that facility hasn't yet been built. All of this comes on news Toyota confirmed that it's increasing its ownership stake in Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries, from 8.7% to 16.5%. What a day, eh? [AutoCar, MotorAuthority, Automotive News]
Hadn't they just "confirmed" that they didn't want any more ownership in subaru? Oh well, it's all going to turn out well in the end, it seems.

That's like the umpteenth confirmation that they're actually making the car. We know this.

Thanks for the scoop.
I'm sick of holding my tongue. Until you have something useful to say, unplug your keyboard.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Actually, this is sort of a worthwhile update. We knew there was a test mule, but no definitive statement on whether or not it would go into production!

Wow!

This is actually pretty awesome, though I'm a bit bummed to have to wait until 2011 if I want the Toyota version (feels like the Camaro/Firebird of yesteryear all over again...).

Looks like there are quite a few fun cars on the horrizon -- cool! :thumbup:

Here's that Jalopnik link http://jalopnik.com/tag/2010-subaru-impreza-coupe/

·
Registered
57 Posts
as an illustrator.... i want to voice my concerns if this is real due to the lack of perspective, viewpoint, and well... most artistic talent

·
Lurking06 Celica07 Join08
5,306 Posts
hehe i just bought my celica gts like last month, good thing i paid off the same day i got it. now its time to save up for that one :) awesome! i wonder how much its going to go for? probably somewhere in the 30k -40k range?

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
hehe i just bought my celica gts like last month, good thing i paid off the same day i got it. now its time to save up for that one :) awesome! i wonder how much its going to go for? probably somewhere in the 30k -40k range?
Most likely less, around 20-30k.

41 - 60 of 6274 Posts