NewCelica.org Forum banner

161 - 180 of 6273 Posts

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
Insider: Toyota to Bring Subaru Co-developed RWD Coupe as a Scion TC in 2011
Remember our bet marc?

Whatever it was, pay up, even if it's nothing. Toldyaso!!!!!! :) haha

I mean...it's an obvious move...unless the future tC has a better flowing variant of the 2.7 Liter Venza motor for at least 190-200 hp and lighter weight to compete with other sport hatch/coupes...this was the smartest move to get back into the "tuner" realm and not just be a damn poser along with regressing car sales...

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Remember our bet marc?

Whatever it was, pay up, even if it's nothing. Toldyaso!!!!!! :) haha

I mean...it's an obvious move...unless the future tC has a better flowing variant of the 2.7 Liter Venza motor for at least 190-200 hp and lighter weight to compete with other sport hatch/coupes...this was the smartest move to get back into the "tuner" realm and not just be a damn poser along with regressing car sales...
read the post I just made - their source claims the project has been ****canned completely, not postponed.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Toyota 086A sports car

Looks like Aston Martin.

The next President of Toyota Motor Co. Akio Toyoda gives us a little more insight into the Toyota/Subaru compact FR sports car.

In a press interview at the Tokyo Auto Salon last month, the next President of Toyota Motor Co. Akio Toyoda was asked many questions about where Toyota was heading and also one question which might be of particular interest to Japanese sports car enthusiasts, “How’s the development coming along regarding the sports car jointly developed with Subaru?” This question was answered in 3 parts:

Project Moving Ahead

Despite some reports to the contrary, the Toyota/Subaru compact FR sports car was not cancelled (even partially) and will continue to go ahead. It is seen as a vital part of Toyota’s “rejuvenation” efforts and reflects the company’s desire to develop a car that appeals to the younger generation of car enthusiasts. Having a FR sports car at the entry level end of the market is Toyota’s way of cementing its image as an rejuvenated car company and will surely dominate the segment as its competitors struggle to keep up.

Codename: “086A”, Delayed Production

Development of the body and chassis is complete and we’re told the development code for the new FR sports car is “086A”. The numerals “86″ should make fans of the now legendary AE86 Sprinter Trueno/Corolla Levin happy as it’s rumored that the numbers will be carried over as the chassis designation. It was thought that the freeze put on construction of the new Subaru factory slated to produce the Toyota/Subaru sports car was the main reason for delays in production, but this is actually in no way related and the real reason for the delay is that production will postponed for several months so that D-4S direct injection could be applied to the flat-4 boxer engine. Production will be postponed until March 2012.

Price Unchanged

Akio Toyoda also confirmed that the price of the Toyota/Subaru compact sports car is still 2,000,000 yen and that there will be no changes to the original plan to build an affordable entry-level sports car. The car is seen to be a formidable model when it joins Toyota’s line up as it will surely push the boundaries of a market segment occupied by front wheel drive compact cars.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Errrr so they are building this as a tC replacement I bet. Makes sense. I don't see why it would be delayed. The tC is overdue for an update.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,264 Posts
The other renderings so far have a lot of tC styling elements in them. Hachiroku in Japan, tC in US I suppose.

·
Lurking06 Celica07 Join08
5,306 Posts
hmm think of it this way: with how fast automotive technology is growing, imagine what new add ons they might use during these three years.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
hmm think of it this way: with how fast automotive technology is growing, imagine what new add ons they might use during these three years.
what part of cancelled don't you understand?

even if they do resurrect it, realize that they won't ad "cutting edge" stuff to it, no car company does because it takes so long to develop and test a vehicle.

at best I think some have got it down to one year using computer modeling, but that's hardly enough data for reliability - I think Ford was doing this and we all know what giant heaps of **** their cars are.

·
Super Moderator
43,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #177 (Edited)
Subaru-Toyota compact project is on hold
The sporty compact car Subaru and Toyota were developing together has been put on hold because of the worldwide economic slowdown, both companies confirm.

The 2+2 compact sporty car had been slated to use a version of the Subaru Impreza's platform, horizontally opposed boxer engine and transmission. It reportedly modified Subaru's all-wheel drive drivetrain to a rear-drive setup and moved the engine slightly rearward in the chassis to improve weight distribution.

The car would have filled one of the few obvious gaps in Toyota's lineup, a small and affordable sporty car.

It would also have given Subaru a performance model priced below the $24,995 all-wheel drive Impreza WRX.

The Toyota and Subaru models reportedly had different exterior designs.
It's dead again.

161 - 180 of 6273 Posts