NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20XX Infiniti G

2012 Nissan Skyline Coupe
Which will be the first model to get a proper Essence inspired exterior design? The 2012 Nissan Skyline Coupe of course!

The 2012 Skyline Coupe won’t be turbocharged like the Essence, but will use the hybrid “3D motor” along with a 3.7L V6 to produce a total of around 450PS. The Skyline Coupe Hybrid will be the highest grade on offer and HA calls it a “high power luxury sports coupe”. Apparently the 3.7L V6 hybrid will use only as much fuel as a 3.0L engine so it can boast a very environmentally friendly image despite producing power that puts it almost on par with the Nissan GT-R.

The Skyline Coupe prototype will be shown at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show and will go on sale in the 3rd quarter of 2012.

Current G37 Coupe and Essence concept for comparison.

I like the evolution and not revolution of the design.

·
Impossibru !
527 Posts
I dont know...It look the same to me...

·
Impossibru !
527 Posts
Actually, I like this car less and less the more they deviate from the original G35 cupe body...
The G37 doesn't look too bad. I actually think it looks better than the G35.

·
Super Moderator
43,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update!

Next Infiniti G37 to Get Hybrid Option

The next all-new Infiniti G37 will be drastically different than today’s version, that’s what we hearing from Japan. The styling will take a completely new turn, one that’ll be more sporty and upscale than the current car, borrowing heavily from the Infiniti Essence show car and the new M56 and M37.

Also, the next G will have hyrbid power as an option. There are rumors that Nissan is considering mating a 3.5-liter engine with an electric motor, transferring the power to the rear wheels through a 7-speed automatic transmission. Power output? About 400 bhp. Naturally, the car’s fuel economy will be greatly improved. Our sources say that the price tag of the hybrid car will probably be around $60,000 (about $35,000 for the gasoline-powered version).

·
Super Moderator
43,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!

Next Infiniti G to Get Lots of Essence, Hybrid Powertrain
According to a source close to Nissan, we have learned that the next Skyline coupe (Infiniti G37), which could arrive as early as 2012, will inherit a "sizeable" amount of design 'essence' from the, er, Essence. The news isn't exactly much of a surprise, as Infiniti has indicated its Essence concept, which first debuted at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show, serves as a bellwether of sorts for the brand's future design direction. Elements of the Essence can already be seen in Infiniti's recently revamped M sedan lineup.

Reportedly measuring roughly 186 x 77 x 52 inches and sitting on a 110-inch long wheelbase, the next G coupe's dimensions appear more practical for the real world than we originally thought when the covers were taken off the Essence for the first time at Geneva.

We also expect Nissan - which is pushing its green credentials hard as it prepares to launch its Leaf electric car - to fit the next G coupe with a hybrid powertrain option. Our source suggests that it is most likely to inherit a version of the 3.5-liter hybrid combination from the current Fuga (Infiniti M35) that develops around 360 total horsepower.

·
Super Moderator
43,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update!

Rumors: Next Infiniti M and G May Share Platform with Mercedes E-Class
Leaving aside recent rumors of a small Infiniti CUV based on the next generation of Mercedes' A / B Class, Japan's Best Car magazine is now reporting in its latest issue that the Infiniti M and G replacements (Nissan Fuga and Skyline in Japan) will share a common architecture with the Mercedes E-Class.

Even though there's no official confirmation, the prospective move makes sense not only because Mercedes-Benz has already agreed to give Infiniti a range of four- and six-cylinder gasoline and diesel engines for its future models, but also because of the broader savings in vehicle development costs for both automakers.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
Not to encroach on your territory Motor, but here's a little more info, much to Burrcold's dismay I'm sure.

Source
Infiniti’s volume line, the G series, will get a Mercedes-Benz engine as part the global alliance between Daimler AG and Renault-Nissan, the story AutoWeek blew wide open at the end of March.

Carlos Ghosn, CEO of Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co., said the G will use a Mercedes inline four-cylinder from Daimler to improve fuel economy and cut emissions. He didn’t say when the engine would reach Infiniti production lines or indicate the extent to which it will replace Japanese-made four-cylinder and V6 engines used in the G sedan and coupe. Here’s hoping Infiniti’s own V6 stays in the G--it’s one of the best engines on the market.

Mercedes uses four-cylinder engines in European C-class cars and has talked about bringing a four-cylinder to the United States, but for now, V6s are the smallest engines here. Mercedes also plans to begin building the C-class in Alabama in 2014.
If it's true....it's disgusting.

·
Theoretical Gear Head
754 Posts
Makes no sense. MB has many more reliability issues than Nissan. Shouldn't this be the other way? MB using Nissan's engines and platforms? Man, seems this recession is worse than I thought.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
Makes no sense. MB has many more reliability issues than Nissan. Shouldn't this be the other way? MB using Nissan's engines and platforms? Man, seems this recession is worse than I thought.
Exactly, and even then, if they were going for economy, Nissan still could produce the better overall engine. Makes no sense. And I doubt they are doing this for the name brand they can advertise with it, 80% of car owners don't know what type of engine their cars has.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I came across this thread while doing some research for my next possible purchase. I currently drive an '07 Camry but I am now looking for something more sporty, more involving and more dynamically capable and an Infiniti product seems like a good choice.

In my line of work I am constantly traveling between North America and Europe. In Europe I often have to visit various locations where my firm has suppliers etc. I prefer to drive, partly because I love driving and also because it allows me to see much of the European countryside. I tend to rent Mercedes' cars because I find them very comfortable and soothing for long journeys on the high-speed European highways, especially on the German highways.

Anyway, I've been very impressed with the Mercedes' cars I've rented. Many rental agencies offer you the choice of diesel and gasoline-powered cars and I've tried my fair share. Let's begin with the diesels. I've rented a current C class with a new engine from Mercedes. These motors are very refined, agile and the fuel economy was impressive. Needless to say, I was very pleased with the car and I hope that someday Mercedes' will offer them in the United States.

Next, I've tried the C class in C180 Kompressor and C200 Kompressor guise, the latter with a 6-speed manual. A quick search on the Internet tells me that these are the same engines with different settings. Both engines are new. They're refined, responsive, have a great sound and feel like 6-cylinders. Yes, that's right. They feel like 6-cylinders. You'd need to drive them to believe what I am saying here. These are a far cry from the 4-cylinders Mercedes' sold in the US with that little sport coupe car a few years ago. At higher speeds, the engines were fairly quiet, too. A downside was the 6-speed manual, which felt rubbery and imprecise. I think the C180 Kompressor had the 5-speed automatic (unless it's offered with their excellent 7Gtronic now) and I actually preferred it to the manual, even though I prefer manuals (and I'm not the youngest anymore).

So, if Infiniti should get these engines, I wouldn't have a problem with it. These are great engines, which also have been greatly received by the British automotive press (the only European reviews I can understand since my French and German is non-existent!). Besides, these Infiniti's with Mercedes' engines will most likely be for markets outside of North America.

Regarding the platform issue, Mercedes' sells more cars globally than Infiniti. Infiniti receiving Mercedes' platforms makes more financial sense than the other way around. This move would allow Infiniti to save huge sums of money (as well as Mercedes due to economies of scale).

Also, the engines that Mercedes' produces are very reliable. Mechanically, Mercedes is pretty solid. What plagues some models are small electrical gremlins. That's not to say every Mercedes' suffers from them. My son-in-law's (married to my daughter) early 2000 Mercedes E430 has been bulletproof for example. They also have a 2010 GLK350 which has been wonderful to them.

My wife and I have been debating whether or not to even purchase a BMW or a Mercedes, although I am still leaning towards an Infiniti, preferably a G or M sedan. The new 2.5 engine sounds interesting and as I will be spending more time in the United States again, I can finally get rid of the Camry and purchase a car that will bring more smiles to my face.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts