NewCelica.org Forum banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Update!

2012 Mazda RX-7
The RX-8 may not be the last Mazda to have a rotary engine.

Despite reports that the RX-8 will be the last car to have a rotary engine, we at R&T have received information directly from Japanese Mazda execs that the death of the rotary has been greatly exaggerated, and that the company is planning to introduce a new rotary-powered car in the near future. Apparently, there’s a team of engineers currently working on a drastically improved version of the Renesis 2-rotor dubbed the 16X (displayed at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show). Mazda U.S. had no comment on the subject.

Now that we’ve determined that the rotary will be back, the question is, what will it power? We asked our source, who wanted to remain anonymous, and he replied: “That hasn’t exactly been decided yet, but we’re seriously thinking of building a new RX-7, one that brings back the spirit of the original. Therefore, if we do indeed bring the RX-7 back, it will most likely be lightweight and more affordable than the last model, the FD.” The future car’s styling will borrow heavily from the Furai concept and the Kabura show car, while the chassis will be based on that of the current MX-5.

·
Registered
492 Posts
yup a 1.3L engine making more horsepower than a typical 3.0L V6 while weighing 90 lbs less with a lower center of gravity and mounted further back is just horrible.

Lets see what Toyota can do with 1.3L . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_NZ_engine . . . . oh . . 85 hp. Sweet.
Toyota 4efte made 135 hp. Only in Starlets, never in the US. Not that that compares to a 1.3 rotary, but just sayin'.

Wikipedia link

·
Registered
168 Posts
The RX-8 was a complete turn off for me. The styling of the new RX-7 is heavy handed and cluttered. When all is said and done the '93-'95 RX-7 twin turbos are still Mazda's best effort in designing a high performance car.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
The RX-8 was a complete turn off for me. The styling of the new RX-7 is heavy handed and cluttered. When all is said and done the '93-'95 RX-7 twin turbos are still Mazda's best effort in designing a high performance car.
How do you already know what the styling of the new RX-7 is? They haven't even produced a concept car, much less a real car.

Also - building it on the Miata platform is genius - the Miata handles great. Make it lightweight, under 3000 lbs (shouldn't be too hard, the Miata only weighs 2600 lbs) with a 300 hp NA rotary engine and I'm all over it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
How do you already know what the styling of the new RX-7 is? They haven't even produced a concept car, much less a real car.

Also - building it on the Miata platform is genius - the Miata handles great. Make it lightweight, under 3000 lbs (shouldn't be too hard, the Miata only weighs 2600 lbs) with a 300 hp NA rotary engine and I'm all over it.
Agree with EVERYTHING but the 300 hp N/A engine.

There is no way thats going to happen, even if they go to 1.6L

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Slightly unrelated note, I've never understood why rotary engines are often compared to v6s. After a little reading engines like the 13B seem comparably to 2.6L 4 cylinders. High revs no torqs, sounds like a 4 banger to me.:confused:

·
15,579 Posts
Agree with EVERYTHING but the 300 hp N/A engine.

There is no way thats going to happen, even if they go to 1.6L
they're at 240 bhp with a 1.3L

if they go with direct injection, 1.6L, and raise compression they should be able to hit it.

There are NA 1.2L carb rotaries making 500+ hp. Remember, the engine can spin and spin and spin and spin - revs are basically free power if you can keep making torque at that point, and with the 6 port design its basically like 3 stage VTEC.

·
15,579 Posts
Slightly unrelated note, I've never understood why rotary engines are often compared to v6s. After a little reading engines like the 13B seem comparably to 2.6L 4 cylinders. High revs no torqs, sounds like a 4 banger to me.:confused:
power output.

4 bangers don't generally get that big because its harder and harder to keep them in balance.

compare a 2.6L V6 to a 1.3L rotary and you've got similar power outputs, but far less size and weight.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
power output.

4 bangers don't generally get that big because its harder and harder to keep them in balance.

compare a 2.6L V6 to a 1.3L rotary and you've got similar power outputs, but far less size and weight.
Hmm, true they aren't usually that big but the F22C and F20C makes very similar power. I take the whole 2.6l thing just to make the displacement more comparable to other engines through the number of combustion cycles per 2 rotation, like a 4 cycle. I guess it doesn't really matter in the end though. I mean v6 aren't often made as that small.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Isnt that the other way around???

Such a big 4 cyl engine will have no revs at all and will have higher torque instead!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
size doesn't determine hp/torque. it's the bore x stroke aspects. more stroke, more torque, more bore, more hp. not to mention a 2.6L I4 would outweigh the rotary alot.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
not to mention a 2.6L I4 would outweigh the rotary alot.
How do you figure? If at 5.7L V8 comes close to a 13B why wouldn't an engine with half the cylinders and displacement be similar if not better?

·
Super Moderator
44,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Update!

Future Cars: Mazda RX-7
Sports Car to Get All-New Rotary That Runs On Gas -- or Diesel!

But, as our source explains, the green light for production has not yet been handed down from the top. That's because Mazda's engineers, wanting to keep the rotary alive, have not quite worked out the best combination of performance, fuel economy and emissions.

Our source tells that the next generation 16X rotary, as it's called inside the company, has achieved significant improvements in fuel efficiency but still lacks the strong top end punch Mazda is striving for. Other issues include oil consumption -- the current RX-8 rotary swallows burns more oil than it should. Power for the 16X is expected to clear 300 hp, with 0-60 mph acceleration times dropping to under 5.0 seconds.

Intriguingly, the 2-stroke 16X rotary prototype does not seem to mind what fuel it sips, which is why Mazda engineers are proposing it be set up to run on either gas or diesel. In fact, some industry types say that the rotary can run on just about anything, even castor oil. With this combination, Mazda hopes to rectify the prototype's shortcomings.

A recent independent survey revealed that demand for an affordable rotary powered sports car is still as strong as it's ever been in the U.S. If it wasn't for the U.S. market, and more precisely Mazda North American Operations, which continues to push for the introduction of a new RX-7, the car would have been shelved years ago. But the RX-7 lives, and Mazda has even given us some hints as to what the new car might look like, with expressive sheet metal echoing the avant-garde surfacing of concepts such as the Kabura and Furai.

It lives again. Allegedly.

·
15,579 Posts
of course it consumes oil - its a god damned rotary, its supposed to consume oil.

when are these journalist idiots going to wake up, bother to learn how the rotary engine works, and shut up about oil consumption.

141 - 160 of 191 Posts