NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
i was close to getn one but my lack of knowledge of rotaries scared me and my desire for torque steered me away.but you cant deny its one of the best handling cars out there.and a good sporty car if your thinking of starting a family. those rear doors are nice.

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
2 too many. not by choice.

actually just this week I drove a 2008 porsche boxter.... handled great but a huge disappointment. that szhit is slow!!!

yesterday drove a 2010 camaro SS . after turning off vsc and trac that car is fun. but the car looked and felt cheap inside.

93 + rx7 better than the rx8
Looks like you only care about going straight.
+1

rx-8's are pure junk. This new one wont be anything different than the previous motor prone blown up machine. Its ashame that the car is more in the shop than the person drives it.
end yourself.

·
Registered
97 Posts
2 too many. not by choice.

actually just this week I drove a 2008 porsche boxter.... handled great but a huge disappointment. that szhit is slow!!!

yesterday drove a 2010 camaro SS . after turning off vsc and trac that car is fun. but the car looked and felt cheap inside.

93 + rx7 better than the rx8
And wtf do those other cars have to do with the rx-8? Get a clue or GTFO.
And for the record the boxster is a GREAT car.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
Um...it looks like an older tiburon....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This is coming from somebody that drives only FWD cars, and that is rating a car because "the time it stays at the shop".

Oh im sorry I used to work at a Mazda dealer as a technician. Please save yourself the embrassment. Just keep typing on the computer like you know something.;)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Mazda RX-9 could use 1.6-litre 16X rotary engine
By Brett Davis | November 4th, 2010

Mazda is revealing more details of what is likely to be the new Mazda RX-9 set to follow in the footsteps of the old Mazda RX-7. There

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I drove my brother's RX-8 today for the first time. It was a blast to drive. And I'm coming from a Dinan Stage 2 135i (sold now). The RX-8 was a lot more fun to drive. I'm a sucker for fast cars, but driving the RX-8 reminded me that cars don't also have to be fast (in a straight line) to be fun.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I drove my brother's RX-8 today for the first time. It was a blast to drive. And I'm coming from a Dinan Stage 2 135i (sold now). The RX-8 was a lot more fun to drive. I'm a sucker for fast cars, but driving the RX-8 reminded me that cars don't also have to be fast (in a straight line) to be fun.
This is what we've been saying for years.

·
you dun goofed
2,164 Posts
+1, my rx8 was a dream to drive. very well balanced and all around fun. beats driving the Z by a long shot. alas, there were problems with its reliability so I ended up getting the full cost of the car refunded to me after a month of driving it around due to a technicality. it was fun while it lasted ;)

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
How's that GTI? :gap: Seriously.... Is it a beast?
I haven't reflashed it yet so its a nice, docile, torquey little german commuter.

Reflashed, they basically make over 300 ft-lbs of torque from 1500-5000 rpm. That's more than double what my Civic was putting out at 8000 rpm.

·
Super Moderator
43,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update!

Mazda RX-8 set to return in 2017
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/87430/mazda-rx-8-set-to-return-in-2017
Mazda confirms Wankel-powered flagship coupe for 2017

Mazda is developing a new rotary-engined sports car to succeed the RX-7 and RX-8, Auto Express has learned. Bigger and more powerful than the Mazda MX-5, the car is aimed at a 2017 launch, to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the launch of the Cosmo Sport, the first Mazda powered by a Wankel rotary engine.

Mazda Engineers are working to address the Wankel engine’s inherent flaws – high fuel and oil consumption and meager torque – without resorting to turbocharging.

The answers are being sought through Mazda’s ‘SkyActiv’ engineering philosophy, which focuses on shedding weight and using high engine compression ratios to boost power and efficiency from revvy, naturally aspirated engines. It’s a technique we’ve already seen used to great effect in the current Mazda 3 and 6.

It’s understood that Mazda is targeting a 300bhp output for the reborn rotary engine, up from 238bhp in the most potent RX-8. Mazda could opt for a compact, low-slung RX-7-style coupe body-style instead of the Mazda RX-8’s four-door configuration, in an effort to slash weight.

The RX-8, discontinued in 2010, weighed in at around 1,310kg – 120kg more than a modern Toyota 86. Mazda’s new flagship will stick to rear-wheel drive.

We hear that an extended version of the new MX-5’s rear-drive platform is being used to develop the car, beefed up to cope with the lofty power output. Familiar six-speed manual and five-speed auto gearboxes will be similarly honed for the new high-performance application.

Mazda has a rich history of rotary-powered cars, starting with the Cosmo Sport of the late 60s, which developed up to 129bhp and could hit 120mph.

More famously, Mazda had the RX-7 that was sold in the UK through the 90s and the RX-8 that went on to replace it. Mazda also won the Le Mans 24 Hours race in 1991 with the rotary-powered 787B – the only time a Japanese manufacturer has won the event.
Mazda needs to make up its mind as to which RX they're going to resurrect - the 7 or 8. Rumors for both cars are swirling about.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts