NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Ye gods, but that rendering is fvcking hideous -- the color, the front end, the wheels -- everything except the headlights makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

I have nothing against a hybrid sports car, but the power number needs to be closer to the torque value for me to consider trading in my current Zed.

Or they need to build it so that it weighs about 2000 lbs...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I remember when Hyundais used to take styling cues from everyone else... now it looks like the tables have turned...

·
gb2 ff
455 Posts
headlights, roof line, windows, rear quarter...just put a scoop on that thing and call it a 2012 celica

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
^^ I thought that too. It's like a 7th gen celica mated with a Genesis Coupe and out came the purple CO2 eater.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm glad I"m not the only one who had that thought. I personally am against a hybrid sports car, that seems like an oxy-moron to me.

·
Super Moderator
46,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that rendering is fvcking hideous -- the color, the front end, the wheels -- everything
Hyundais used to take styling cues from everyone else... now it looks like the tables have turned...
i don't think its that bad
just put a scoop on that thing and call it a 2012 celica
It's like a 7th gen celica mated with a Genesis Coupe
Way to shift_in_reverse.
I'm glad I"m not the only one who had that thought.
Guys, that's NOT an official sketch from Nissan. That rendering was done by an Autocar artist, and it's purely speculation.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
Guys, that's NOT an official sketch from Nissan. That rendering was done by an Autocar artist, and it's purely speculation.
It was that or comment about this crap 4 banger they are going to put in it.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
i see a celica

·
Super Moderator
46,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update!

Next Nissan Z, Going Diesel, Hybrid?
A Nissan Z powered by a Mercedes diesel, hybrid, or even a Diesotto engine? It may sound like we've been sniffing too many fumes, but as the dust from the Renault-Nissan/Daimler deal begins to settle, a source close to Nissan has revealed to us that the next-generation Nissan Z will likely be among the vehicles fitted with Daimler-sourced engine options.

The new deal suggests Renault-Nissan will supply Daimler with 3- and 4-cylinder gas engines and electric vehicle technology while Daimler will deliver 4-, 6- and 8-cylinder gas, diesel and hybrid powerplants to the Franco-Japanese alliance.

There are no doubt a lot of Nissan fans in Japan and the U.S. who will question any move to replace Nissan engines with those of a competitor, especially when you consider that the VQ series V-6 has been rated at or near the top of its class for the past decade (although it has begun to lag behind in mileage, emissions and overall refinement). But with stringent CO2 and fuel efficiency regulations in the offing for both Europe and the U.S., radical course changes are probably inevitable.

Nissan reportedly has its eye on two Daimler diesels: the 210-horsepower, 3.0-liter BlueTEC already available in several U.S. Mercedes models, and more strategically, the even more efficient, 2.2-liter four-cylinder E300 BlueTEC diesel-hybrid. (The automaker also recently unveiled its own 3.0-liter diesel unit for its European Infiniti lineup.) Another potential engine that might find its way into the Z at some point is the Mercedes Diesotto unit. Combining the best features of diesel and gas engines into one powerplant, the Diesotto is a 1.8-liter 4-cylinder generating 238 horsepower. But that engine is still in development and would likely be a long way off for any Z application.

On the gasoline hybrid front, the next Z had been expected to inherit Nissan's new V-6 hybrid powerplant set to debut in the Infiniti M shortly, but rumors now suggest the engine could instead be a version of the 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid from the S400.

Renault-Nissan head man Carlos Ghosn has reportedly been keeping a close eye on sports cars powered by hybrids, especially the Ferrari 599 hybrid concept and the Porsche 911 GT3 R hybrid, which proved its mettle during last month's Nurburgring 24-Hour event. Whether it turns out to be a diesel, hybrid, or a combination of both, Ghosn looks to be eyeing a similar blend of performance and efficiency for his next Z. Whatever happens, it likely won't be anytime soon as we don't expect to see the new car until late in calendar year 2012 at the earliest.
More rampant speculation.

·
Theoretical Gear Head
754 Posts
Power is power. Gas, diesel or electric. Where the power comes from makes no difference as long as the car performs well. If the car pumps less chit into the air, gets better gas milage and performs well so much the better.

Looks as if the reasoning behind Renault-Nissan's partnership with Daimler was for R-N to get their hands on Daimler's diesel tech to meet future co2 and fuel efficiency regs. Makes sense.

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts
Power is power. Gas, diesel or electric. Where the power comes from makes no difference as long as the car performs well. If the car pumps less chit into the air, gets better gas milage and performs well so much the better.

Looks as if the reasoning behind Renault-Nissan's partnership with Daimler was for R-N to get their hands on Daimler's diesel tech to meet future co2 and fuel efficiency regs. Makes sense.
Where the power comes from absolutely determines how it performs...read up on your facts.

·
Theoretical Gear Head
754 Posts
Where the power comes from absolutely determines how it performs...read up on your facts.
Depends on what performance we are talking about of course. If as I, you mean the ability to get around a race course as quickly as possible then, nope, not absolutely. Of course all power sources have their advantages and limitations. However the limitations of diesel, hybrid and electric cars can be overcome to produce performance equal to or better than a purely gasoline powered car. Therefore if you can have an hybrid vehicle that performs just as well as a purely gasoline powered vehicle but gets better mpg and pumps less co2 into the air all the better. The Audi R10 TDI and Tesla are great examples.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts