NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Celica (VVTi, 140) soon and I have found one that ticks all the boxes for me - except that recently it went 20k miles and 2 years without an oil change, under its current owner. Before that, it had a great service history, and was serviced every 5k miles or every year.

The car has 107k miles on it. Between 85k and 105k there was no oil change. I'm unsure about the level of damage this could have done. If I go and test drive the car and there aren't any obvious problems, would you say it's good to buy?

Thanks!

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,310 Posts
Only if it is an '03+.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Make sure it's at least topped up on oil before you drive it....
Take the oil cap off and look inside... If it's not crusty and brown.... But (light) golden or silver color it is probably ok. Be sure you get to cold start the engine so you can listen for VVT gear rattling or any other odd noises from the internals due to oil system neglect. Do not let the owner drive it to you.... Then you don't get the cold start.
If you do buy the car. with that first immediate oil change I'd recommend a vetted oil system cleaning additive, like AutoRX. I'd also recommend pulling the VVT solenoid and checking the screen for debris.
Shame on someone taking such a clean example of a car it's age and complete neglecting it ...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I drove my 2005 Celica without an oil change (just top up) for about 20,000 km (~12,500miles) and the car never skipped a beat. I actually did the service out of guilt for neglecting my baby. I would by the car and use an oil flush to get the gunk out then use a sticky synthetic. I find that when old cars use multigrade modern oils you can have problems because the gunk has actually been blocking seals etc so you are better off getting synthetic oils that adhere to the engine components

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your helpful replies.

I did buy the car, it's an '06. Light gold under the oil cap, and the engine sounds great, no rattles. Has plenty of power. I think it's come off fine from its long service interval. I'll be getting the oil changed regularly from now on!

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
Hope it gives you good driving pleasure for a long. I've seen other cars (not Celica or Toyota per se) go at 10K miles without oil change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don’t, DON’T do a flush with an engine flush for any reason with an engine that is fine!! You will do more harm than good.
Many cars go now with 14000-20000 mile service intervals, my 1 series bmw has 14000 miles 1 year Services and i have not done it for 18 months.
what you dont know is the quality of oil it had but seeing as it is fine do not mess.
If you must then do another oil change in about 500 miles.
The only thing I would ever do is use a good quality diesel oil as it has higher detergents but as it is fine i would not even do that especially with vvt!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got around to pulling the VVT solenoid and the filter. Both look very clean. No deposits or anything on either of them which is reassuring.
IMG_20200622_124336542_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200622_130136401_HDR.jpg

Unfortunately I do think the car has VVT gear rattle. I specifically listened for the noise when I viewed it and it wasn't there, and I didn't hear it for a week after I bought it as I drove it every day. However, once the car has been sitting for 24 hours or more it will occasionally make the noise:

I assume this is VVT gear rattle, although it sounds different to some other reports of the issue which have a more knocky-type sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts