NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyones changed there camshafts and know if you can do them by just securing the sprockets and timing chain or if you have to take the chain off the engine?

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
you dont have to take the chain off. but you do have to remove the timing chain tensioner. i can install them for ya for 200 bucks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll think about it thanks for the offer. I'm gonna pop the valve cover off and see how bad they look. I've done a couple headgaskets on 240's so I think i can do it.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
2ZZs are notorious for falling out of time when you take the cam gears off - crank spins or the intake cam spins or whatever.

Be sure the VVTi actuator on the end of the intake cam is NOT in the locked position when you bolt it on to the new intake cam.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
turbopig420 said:
I'll think about it thanks for the offer. I'm gonna pop the valve cover off and see how bad they look. I've done a couple headgaskets on 240's so I think i can do it.
If you do, take some pictures and maybe a quick write-up on it. Will help a lot of guys here that are mechanically inclined and never done it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Ya, I'm thinking of going with the stage 2 Piper Cams.

It shouldn't be too hard, just need a general description and I could do it no prob.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
read the lift bolt TSB. it explains how to remove the cams and re install them

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
It's really a pretty easy swap. Mark the chain and sprockets so the same link goes back on the same tooth and you're fine. The chain is mechanically limited from jumping teeth below though I do recommend puting some upward tension on the chain so it doesn't get bunched up down there.

Not a job for a beginner but an easy job for an experienced mechanic.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
monkeywrench said:
The chain is mechanically limited from jumping teeth below
No its not - I've seen 1ZZ and 2ZZ chains jump at the crank when the cams are out

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
monkeywrench said:
The chain is mechanically limited from jumping teeth below
No its not - I've seen 1ZZ and 2ZZ chains jump at the crank when the cams are out
Mine did this. The cams were in but the tensioner was out. It managed to jump a tooth down at the crank. I had to remove the exhaust cam and reindex both cams by one tooth.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
there is no valve adjustment. its jusst changing shimms, but im sure that what you ment

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.