NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you have seen my other post about the MWR pistons, well after my first phone call with them and they told me to take a hike I went and ordered Darton Sleeves (since I have 2 engine I thought that if MWR actually came threw I would sleeve both engines, but they didn't)

Anyways, they were $360 usd, I bought them direct from Darton (http://www.darton-international.com). Darton doesn't list them on their site (alteast last time I was there they didn't) but if you call them up they have all the dimensions and everything they just have to make them up. It took them 4 weeks to make them up, they look dam nice. I haven't installed them yet, probably won't until the new year, but will post pictures of them once they are installed.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you have to bore out the mmc lining and some of the aluminum to put them in, and the inside of the sleave is smaller then oe (oe is 82 mm and these I think are 81.5mm). Darton does that because when you put them in the machine shop is suppose to measure the pistons going in and bore the inside of the sleaves to 0.003 " bigger so that you get a nice tight even fit.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
many said:
Warren who is going to mill out the block?
I found a specialty shop in Edmonton that will do them for me, but will only do them in december or january, they exclusively do high high end engine's for race teams and don't usually do off the street work. I got refered to them by some guys in my local race club and had to beg them to do the work for me. But I'm told the work will be outstanding and it will be totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Originally posted by larryd
Are the sleeves the same size as OE?

OEM bore tolorence is 82.000mm - 82.013mm
Darton sleeves come bored at 81.661 with a max of 82 mm
to be specific...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
What material is that? I'm curious as to how the ring and liner wear will change without the MMC linings. You are revving higher than 8300RPM are you not War?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by 00 scrub
What material is that? I'm curious as to how the ring and liner wear will change without the MMC linings. You are revving higher than 8300RPM are you not War?
I would believe so. Since he has a PFC

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
00 scrub said:
it's cast iron, I've talked to a few places and read some stuff, they are all said that the rings used with the mmc lining are the same rings used with cast iron. I haven't decided if I'm going to run stock pistons or my wiseco pistons yet, but I'm told both are compatable. I have to decide if I want to run in any SCCA events under DSP, if I do I will be putting in the stock pistons, otherwise I'll do the wiseco's.

I'll be running to 8800 rpm (stock springs) either way.

·
Registered
285 Posts
my cylinder walls were badly scalded by my mechanic (remember long story months ago :( ) and my mechanic had to buy me a whole new short block from toyota costing CAD$2300. Seems only a few places do the boring of the lining. How does the steel measure up to the MMC?

mark

·
Registered
445 Posts
are there any other 1zz sleaves out there besides monkeywrench.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Anyone ever had any problems with the stock MMC liners due to too much power that they needed to use new sleeves? I don't think there where issues with them but I dont frequent the FI forum. For an N/A application I would stay with the MMC for sure.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
voidhawk said:
If the OEM MMC is that good, why sleeve the block :confused:
I have to sleeve the block, the MWR pistons I put in damaged the MMC lining which cannot be repaired. Take a look that the 121 compression pistons thead I started.

Wiseco said they might start recommending sleeving your engine if you run their pistons. But they have now redesigned their pistons and will put a special coating on them upon request, which they say will probably make them compatable with the MMC lining.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
WAR said:
I have to sleeve the block, the MWR pistons I put in damaged the MMC lining which cannot be repaired. Take a look that the 121 compression pistons thead I started.

Wiseco said they might start recommending sleeving your engine if you run their pistons. But they have now redesigned their pistons and will put a special coating on them upon request, which they say will probably make them compatable with the MMC lining.

What would happen if they didn't coat them? How is it not compatible?

Jon

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JohnnyWash1 said:
What would happen if they didn't coat them? How is it not compatible?

Jon
The new redesigned pistons from wiseco may be ok without the coating, I don't know, but they recommended the coating to me (and offered me the coating for free) if I was going to run them in a engine with the stock MMC lining. I told them not to bother since I was going to run them in a sleeved engine.

All I know is that the stock pistons are coated and the TRD pistons are coated. I ran the MWR (wiseco) pistons in my engine, they were not coated and they had a design flaw in them. Below is what happened to the cylinders.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts