NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Celica enthusiasts
I have a question relating to the 2ZZ ge engine installed in my year old Lotus Elise. On a number of occasions there is a loud rattle from the engine on start up when the engine is warm. It only lasts for around half a second or so and so far I don't think it has caused any problem. My dealer hasn't any clue what it is. It appears to come from the timing chain end of the engine. Oil is full, only 9000km on the clock. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Have the dealer remove the accesories belt with the engine warm and start it briefly without the belt. If the noise goes away it can be the belt tensioner, it can make a rattling noise at the piston.

I have a short rattling noise that comes from the timing chain area, but it's only at coldstarts so I highly doubt you have the same noise if yours does it when warm. If you search for the terms "loud rattle" I think you will find some info in this R&M section.
Otherwise have them check the timing chain tensioner too if they didn't. It does have a non-return ratchet, but runs off oil pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking along the timing chain tensioner route from other information I have obtained regarding this engine, but was a little concerned that it may be related to the VVTi sprocket in the same area, which may lead to future problems. However, I have not read of any other people having problems so perhaps this worry is unfounded.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I'm doing some research on the VVT-i sprocket issues. Maybe you should have the valvecover removed and do a visual of the sprocket and the chain guides for looseness. There have been a few cases of VVT-i sprockets coming apart and causing major damage.
I'll have some more updates in the OCV thread sticky as I go through the papers and my old head and sprockets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your suggestions, I will put them to the garage when the car goes in for its 10,000km service shortly and report back any outcome

·
Registered
265 Posts
GSBoek said:
I'm doing some research on the VVT-i sprocket issues. Maybe you should have the valvecover removed and do a visual of the sprocket and the chain guides for looseness. There have been a few cases of VVT-i sprockets coming apart and causing major damage.
I'll have some more updates in the OCV thread sticky as I go through the papers and my old head and sprockets.
from what i know, when the VVT sprocket fails, a code will pop up... im not sure what code tho... possibly a P1349 VVT system malfunction... IMO it could just be the oil making its way up to the head when that noise happens... cuz if there are parts failure, then the noise would be constant...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts