NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that the jdm 2zz has a higher rev limit (8600) and lower lift engagement (6000).

Some facebook groups have said that when they did the oil pump on their jdm spec 2zz, they found the oil pump is actually different than ours. Which makes sense because of the higher rev limit. But he did not specify if it was the gear or the pump.

Another post I found said when he used a jdm ecu on his usdm block it ran like shit. Same case with a USDM ecu on the jdm block. He insists the jdm spec had different components and specs.

Another post I found said the throttle body is slightly bigger (2mm). Same case with the intake manifold.

Has anybody opened up a jdm spec 2zz?? I've found zero info besides these facebook comments and there is zero info on google.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Do a search the answers are here:

I read the JDM has different octane ratings thus tuned to such, and the ecm was revised several times over the years along with its knock sensor. I don't recall the exact details of each limiter.

99-00 lower lift engagement
00-01 higher rev limiter

02-03 new knock senor
04-05 limiter reduced

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Precisely, they are indistinguishable from USDM 2ZZ motors. There are 2 things you can do;
  • Confirm it has a link throttle and single wire thump sensor. All JDM 2ZZ motors are this way, none are drive by wire or 2 wire thump sensor prepared.
  • Check the part number on the ECM and guarantee it is from a JDM model. The 2ZZ from a manual transmission Celica is 89666-20060 which will work when you do the swap into an MR2.

As a side note from somebody who has bought a few JDM cars for sale throughout the years, it is ideal on the off chance that you can see them face to face, particularly to check with a boroscope and leak down analyzer.

Attachments

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
The engines themselves are physically exactly the same so it's really down to the knock sensor and throttle body. If these are swapped over it all works properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts