NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.

I've been a lurker for a while, and finally have a reason to post. :)

I have a 2zz-ge with around 135k on it, and I believe that it has had bent valves for a long time. I have finally gotten around to pulling everything apart and decided to check the feasibility of a rebuild. Except for the bent valves, everything else in the engine looks great and has measured out within spec. That is, everything except for the cylinder bores.

There are no scratches in the cylinders at all.. they're smooth as glass. The problem is that the upper part of the cylinders have measured just outside of the maximum spec (within about 0.0015" at the worst).

My question is, do you think I could get away with this or is it worth scrapping the block over? It seems so close that I would hate to have to spend $1k for a sleeved block over it.

The car will be a daily driver.. I was thinking about getting the MWR Stage 2 cams, their stainless valves, and the mahle pistons but pretty much everything else would be stock.

Thanks for any advice! Cylinder specs are below.

Cylinders #1 #2 #3 #4
Axial - Top 3.2280 3.2280 3.2280 3.2282
Axial - Middle 3.2280 3.2285 3.2285 3.2280
Axial - Bottom 3.2278 3.2285 3.2282 3.2285

Thrust - Top 3.2295 3.2300 3.2305 3.2295
Thrust - Middle 3.2290 3.2290 3.2295 3.2290
Thrust - Bottom 3.2290 3.2295 3.2295 3.2290

Maximum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking about just scrapping the rebuild project, as I haven't bought any parts yet. I will probably go with a JDM engine and try to sell or trade my engine. Everything else is good and usable except for the damn block.

Has anyone used JDM New York? They have 2zz-ge engines listed on e-bay for $1299.

I wonder if MWR will take my old engine in trade for some parts..

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm thinking about just scrapping the rebuild project, as I haven't bought any parts yet. I will probably go with a JDM engine and try to sell or trade my engine. Everything else is good and usable except for the damn block.

Has anyone used JDM New York? They have 2zz-ge engines listed on e-bay for $1299.

I wonder if MWR will take my old engine in trade for some parts..
If you are considering getting any used engine, I would definitely have someone knowledgable examine it thoroughly. If there is no warranty if something goes wrong, you would be 1,000 and some change short of money. Unless you have the spare money lying around, I would play it safe.

·
Super Moderator
12,227 Posts
if the cylinders look like glass. then I would re-use the block. as long as you dont feel any imperfections as you run your fingers down the cylinder. you should be fine.

I have seen some 2ZZ blocks a tad out of spec and work fine. get some new rings, clean the ringlands on the pistons good and put it back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. It is like glass, but you can definitely feel the wear in the thrust direction. The axial direction feels completely smooth all the way up the bore. I guess I'll go with new rings and see how it goes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So your engine was working before the only issue was with the valves, so I'd think it would be fine with a proper rebuild. How long it is going to last is the question of the day. Personally I'd have the block sleeved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts