NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

Since I 've found no info regarding stock VVT values of the 2ZZ-GE, I will provide these values as a result of a V-Manage log. These values are from a european ECU of a Corolla T-Sport.

RPM - Degrees of VVT advance
3000 - 24
3300 - 24
3500 - 34
3700 - 38
3800 - 38
4500 - 24
4800 - 24
5700 - 13
6250 - 13
6300 - 43
6500 - 43
6600 - 40
7000 - 40
7800 - 26
rev lim - 26

Here is a screenshot of the log:

Here is a screenshot of the above values plotted by Excel:

I think that they match almost perfectly.

Hope this helps anyone doing VVT tuning!

Reactions: Lucassanabria

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
That's pretty neat. Any chance you call pull some additional values? I'd like to see what the values are at idle and when you take off from a stop. I'd really like to know what it looks like from 1000-3000 rpm.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi!

I will do that soon... As of now, I am in the process of finding out what is wrong with my motor. I did a compression test and found out that the 1st cylinder has 9.5kPa instead of 11.5-12 that the others had.

Wish me luck!

G.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Yes, pretty neat stuff. I'm with Jesse on this, but in my case I'm trying to figure out how the VVT-i behaves when shifting at fuel cut and hitting the rev limiter momentarily between upshifts.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
That's some real nice info!
I have a graph I made on a dyno of every VVT by step of 10 when I had my stock engine. I have to admit your values are almost complete opposite of the best values I found on a i/e setup. Maybe your measurement is the opposite compared to the one we set on the PFC ?

And yeah, having idle values would be interesting!

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
That's some real nice info!
I have a graph I made on a dyno of every VVT by step of 10 when I had my stock engine. I have to admit your values are almost complete opposite of the best values I found on a i/e setup. Maybe your measurement is the opposite compared to the one we set on the PFC ?

And yeah, having idle values would be interesting!
It is -- higher numbers = more advance on stock ECU.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
It is -- higher numbers = more advance on stock ECU.
Ok, nice! so, how do they translate exactly ? PFCvvt = ~50 - STOCKvvt

50 is close to the max value that changes something on the PFC.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
If that's the right formula, it does not look bad but I see some optimization only using a pfc. Kindda explains part of th egains with a PFC.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
How are you liking the v-manage? Did it wire in just fine? Mine's sitting under my bed, waiting for an emanage ultimate to accompany it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How are you liking the v-manage? Did it wire in just fine? Mine's sitting under my bed, waiting for an emanage ultimate to accompany it.
We had no trouble wiring the V-Manage. However, I have still some issues with lift, I have not managed to alter the engagement point yet. The thing is that while playing with the V-Manage, I managed to break down my engine. I have a GReddy supercharger and made some runs with no overlap (I am an idiot, I know...). End result, I had some 20+ psi which resulted in damaged sleeves and a broken piston.

In 2-3 weeks, I will have my engine ready so I will post extra data regarding stock VVT settings.

If that's the right formula, it does not look bad but I see some optimization only using a pfc. Kindda explains part of th egains with a PFC.
Yes, that's true, espeicially when you have aftermarket cams and forced induction.

That's pretty neat. Any chance you call pull some additional values? I'd like to see what the values are at idle and when you take off from a stop. I'd really like to know what it looks like from 1000-3000 rpm.
After finishing my rebuild, I will post lots of data!

Yes, pretty neat stuff. I'm with Jesse on this, but in my case I'm trying to figure out how the VVT-i behaves when shifting at fuel cut and hitting the rev limiter momentarily between upshifts.
From what I 've seen in my datalogs, there is no change in VVT settings when hitting the rev limiter. VVT settings are constant after 7800 rpms or so...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I have pretty much run my PFC through all the VVT cam angles possible, and never encountered 20+ psi. I maybe got +2~3 psi at most.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you tried putting a value of 50 at all your cells at your PFC and see what happens? I would not suggest it...

The 20+ was an instant value. As you know, boost reading fluctuate quite a bit so I guess, a boost gauge would indicate something like 14-15 psi.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Have you tried putting a value of 50 at all your cells at your PFC and see what happens? I would not suggest it...

The 20+ was an instant value. As you know, boost reading fluctuate quite a bit so I guess, a boost gauge would indicate something like 14-15 psi.
Yup I ran through all the VVT settings from 0-50 to try and ass tune it, It didnt work so great... I have a peak and hold setting on my boost gauge, it has never spiked that high.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It's too bad it can't go below 13 at 5700. I think that is the cause of our NA "death valley" from 5000 to lift. Can you log the VVT solenoid duty cycle? If it is 0% that might be the physical limit of the VVT actuator. But that should be about the same as idle.
dB

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
deltaB,

According to my logs, ECU commands and actual measurements differ by only some 0.2-0.3 of angle so the 13 degrees you see there is in reality 13. If someone has a V-Manage, CamCon or PFC, he can lower it to 0.

When I changed my settings to 0, the V-Manage logged 1.4 degrees of actual timing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
deltaB,

According to my logs, ECU commands and actual measurements differ by only some 0.2-0.3 of angle so the 13 degrees you see there is in reality 13. If someone has a V-Manage, CamCon or PFC, he can lower it to 0.

When I changed my settings to 0, the V-Manage logged 1.4 degrees of actual timing.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Idle and below should hold steady since the lock pin inside the VVT-i mechanism is supposed to be locked in the max retardation. If I'm understanding this correctly, changing your settings to 0 will make the VVT-i go to the maximum retardation setting, which by my opening statement would mean the VVT-i would probably engage the lock pin, which in turn might explain why you got the 1.4 degree of actual timing with a 0 setting: can't retard more than the lock pin will allow mechanically.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
It's too bad it can't go below 13 at 5700. I think that is the cause of our NA "death valley" from 5000 to lift. Can you log the VVT solenoid duty cycle? If it is 0% that might be the physical limit of the VVT actuator. But that should be about the same as idle.
dB
In practice it doesn't work. The engine has a really hard time making that huge jump in cam timing. If you try it on a PFC, you get a huge bog, misfiring and in many cases knock right at that point.

The real answer is that there's no reason to hold the small cam that long. I'm pretty sure it was done by Toyota purely to give the big kick that really sells the GT-S. On a PFC, if you lower the VVL engagement point, you don't have to retard out the small cam as much and the big cam comes in much smoother.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts