NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I am going to try Edge on my next oil change. I am still trying to decide what to use for my tranny though. I was going to use MT-90, but found the thread where some of you said you didn't like it that well for shifter smoothness. I then saw you recommended "the cocktail" mix and so I went to the nasioc forum and started reading on that.

That thread has a lot of varying opinions on it. As of now I was just going to pick up some Valvoline synthetic as most agreed it was within trans oil specs and pretty good. I like the fact that I can grab some locally as well.

You are using MT-90 correct 2 way? Do you like it a lot better than the standard dino oils?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I found this while googling.

"I decided after writing Redline and from the responses, to use the Redline 75w-90ns instead of the MT-90.This is the reasoning; MT-90 has friction modifiers for limited-slip transaxles which makes the gear oil more viscious and in the process harder for syncros to match speed.The 75w-90ns not having these modifiers would be a better choice for our MZ3s in that the syncros will be able to match speeds quicker especially in low temps.....I've been using the 75w-90ns grade for approx 2 years and this past winter I had no problems with hard shifting at all, even starting her up in -30C temps.

For the Speed guys, I would suggest trying the basic 75w-90 over the MT-90 for the same reason basically as the standard 75w-90 still has limited slip modifiers, but less so then the Mt-90, and according to Redline this should provide better low temp operation."

I also read there is a castrol synthetic gear oil that may be available locally. Would that be a good one to use? What would be your other suggestion besides the MT-90, as it is pretty spendy stuff to be changing out too often? All the online sites charge you $10 + a usually high shipping charge.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
so Wall-Mart sells Castrol EDGE?
I've never seen it there maybe never looked for it there. I'll try this weekend, check out Wall-mart for it.
None at 2 of my local walmarts. :( You may have luck in a bigger city. I got Castrol Syntec for $19 for a jug though. :D I did find it at Advanced Auto, but it was like 7.99 a quart. Screw that.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.