NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed on here before, but maybe someone has more info.

I put this in the FI section since that's where most of the people looking for new motors are gonna be:chuckles:

The best way in most cases to build an engine would be to get one and have the work done to it, assemble it and then swap it into the car. However I have found an alarming discovery...

the salesman that sneared at me for "blowing up" a $10,000 motor was not lying!? (that was a while ago) I did a couple parts locator requests on the internet for 2zz's in junkyards, specified for rebuild, and the places wrote me back telling me they had a great price on one... only $8,900.95 !!!

Are the 1zz's any cheaper? Would it be more cost effective to have a ton of head work done to a 1zz and build it for 20 psi instead of tearing into a 2zz?

I had really hoped to grab another 2zz for my project, but unless someone knows where there's some alot more reasonably priced... I definately won't be spending 9 grand on a junkyard motor!

·
Registered
822 Posts
from what I've seen you should be able to get a decent used 2zz for about $1000 to $1500

the rebuild should cost you around $4500 including parts and the sleeving...again from what I heard :)

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Sleeves are like what $500? Pistons are about $450 and rods are like $700 tops. Engine overhaul kit gasket is like $400. Used engine should be no more than $1500. Machine shop work for the sleeving & boring, resurface head, clean head and block, and kiss mains with line bore to compensate for studs should be about $1200-$1500. Bearings will run you about $200. After that all thats left is labor to build it.

_________
$4850 plus the labor to build (maybe $1500 tops) so it should not exceed $6350 for a fully built motor unless you want P&P work in which case add a bit.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
Boosted nailed it on the head...Thats about what i have spent so far on my engine.....it costs money to go fast....

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, but it looks like when the time comes to get another engine I should look a little further to find a better price for a starting point lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts