NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are spacers for the 1ZZ but not the 2ZZ available right now. I talked to the head of product development at Street & Performance Electronics & he wants my help to develop a spacer for the 2ZZ. Do you guys think there will be any restrictions on it as far as moving the throttle body over an inch or two to the right from where it sits now ? I can't see it being an issue but my experience is very limited. Basically he wants me to detach the TB & take pics of the fitting & he's gonna ask toyota to work with him to fashion a gasket. Is there a reason this spacer hasn't been made yet because of space/sizing restrictions ? I was supposed to do it last weekend but I got rear ended & had to have my bumper taken care of instead. Is there anything I should know specifically about detaching the TB or is that gonna be pretty straight forward? I'll have a mechanic helping me, I just thought I'd ask you guys what your opinion was on this. Whether you think it will work, if it should provide any noticeable gains, & if anyone on here has a 1ZZ with a spacer on it? ( & did you notice decent gains? ) I'm gonna try to get dynos after he fabricates the part for me. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JB :newbie: :eatpop: :werd:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah gravel I think that's pretty much how it works, all I really know is it's supposed to help you force in more air. I'll ask Dean the guy I'm dealing with exactly what the theory is behind it. I didn't realize I posted this in the F/I forum, it probly should be moved. My bad. :newbie: :laugh:

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
marginal if you ask me. do it hondata style out of that strange rubbery material and it may help reduce the intake temps into the TB.

why dont you just take off the stock tb gasket and give that to the guy making the spacer? he could copy the design then make it thicker with his own material.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, I'll run that by him & see what he says. I was wondering wtf he was gonna do with a damn picture anyways. Just an f.y.i. they claim 20 hp gains with these things but I doubt that's whp.... :puke:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Rombomb420 said:
Interesting, I'll run that by him & see what he says. I was wondering wtf he was gonna do with a damn picture anyways. Just an f.y.i. they claim 20 hp gains with these things but I doubt that's whp.... :puke:
If 20mm of metal tube would add 20hp to the engine's output, dont' you think Toyota would have added it to their amazingly elaborate inatke-manifold design?

I suppose at least snake oil is carbon neutral ;)

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Sorry - but I fail to see the point in a throttle body spacer. If you're using it to attach a less expensive overbore TB off, a mustang, for example I could see value in that I guess, but I doubt thats what this is.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[email protected] forward your questions/complaints to this guy he's the one who is claiming this, I'm just passing on the info. I don't know sh!t about cars compared to you cats so if you wanna flex your knowledge be my guest.

Boosted this company makes spacers for all kinds of motors, import & domestic, including the 1ZZ. What makes you so certain it won't work if it works for so many other motors? I know a guy who used one on a used cop car. Now obviously it's not a 2ZZ but it's still fuel injected & he felt he got gains off of it, which is why I was looking into it in the first place. :gap:

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Rombomb420 said:
Boosted this company makes spacers for all kinds of motors, import & domestic, including the 1ZZ. What makes you so certain it won't work if it works for so many other motors?
A degree and 13 years as professional in the automotive industry is what makes me certain. I understand the physics behind an intake system. The throttle body lets air into the plenum. Moving it away from the plenum means you will gain a tiny amount of plenum volume and nothing more. A slightly larger plenum doesn't make power beyond a fraction of a percentage. The only other reason would be either to adapt a different throttle body (which might help depending on the situation) or to prevent heat transfer from the manifold into the TB, but simply bypassing the coolant lines to the Throttle body would have a much greater effect on that. Plus the GT has a plastic manifold that doesn't transfer any heat anyways. If its meant to be used for nitrous hookup or something like that then it would make sense, but thats about it.

So whats the theory behind it? Why does it make power? Whats cars has it been proven on with dynos and what type of engine was it with what type of fueling? Tornado and JET performance make lots of products too and none of them make power - why should this be any different?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you say so coach, I've got other things I can put my time into with this car, I was just curious about it. :AF:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
Rombomb420 said:
Boosted this company makes spacers for all kinds of motors, import & domestic, including the 1ZZ. What makes you so certain it won't work if it works for so many other motors?
A degree and 13 years as professional in the automotive industry is what makes me certain. I understand the physics behind an intake system. The throttle body lets air into the plenum. Moving it away from the plenum means you will gain a tiny amount of plenum volume and nothing more. A slightly larger plenum doesn't make power beyond a fraction of a percentage. The only other reason would be either to adapt a different throttle body (which might help depending on the situation) or to prevent heat transfer from the manifold into the TB, but simply bypassing the coolant lines to the Throttle body would have a much greater effect on that. Plus the GT has a plastic manifold that doesn't transfer any heat anyways. If its meant to be used for nitrous hookup or something like that then it would make sense, but thats about it.

So whats the theory behind it? Why does it make power? Whats cars has it been proven on with dynos and what type of engine was it with what type of fueling? Tornado and JET performance make lots of products too and none of them make power - why should this be any different?
:eek:wned:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts