NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
peeps, I recently changed my clutch in the zze123 corolla 2zzge with a competition clutch stage 2 but after reinstalling everything the car does not want to go into any gears when started but will go into gear when switched off this is very weird Behaviour as I have not experienced this before when changing a clutch. At one point the car would go into gear when raised in the air but when I released my foot of the clutch and the wheels were spinning I applied the brakes ever so slightly and it turned the car off. Fyi i used the clutch bearing that came with the CC clutch. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
You sure you used the correct clutch kit?

· Registered
448 Posts
Appreciate the information so far.

If the fork was cracked and flexing then would that not affect the the gears from going in when the cars switched off aswell as the car does go into gear when off.

During installation of the gearbox the gear selector was knocked out of position. does the transmission have a press type reset point and a reset procedure

Just for clarity based on the flywheel are you meaning that the clutch centre will come into contact with the flywheel bolts if there is not enough material on the flywheel surface to due to previous clutch wear and tear.
A cracked fork can do whatever it wants which includes intermittent clutch engagement while running or while off.

There is no reset procedure other than reinstalling the transmission.

If the flywhell is too thin, it will cause poor engagement due to there not being enough friction. If the clutch disc is installed backwards, it will prevent engagement outright because the dampeners will space out the disc too far.

In any scenario, if the issue is not external, then the transmission needs to come back off and you need to ensure everything was in the correct position. I have never heard of a clutch engaging while off, but not while on, but if I were to wager a guess something is offset or misaligned, and it's very likely the clutch itself.

TL;DR, check everything related to shifting and make sure it's all actuating properly, if it's all good and problem persists, pull the tranny. Fwiw, I also installed it in gear, but it didnt matter because that more affects shift cable placement than it's ability to go into gear

· Registered
448 Posts
Congrats! This is definitely a new one for me in terms of clutch issues, but it's good that you got it fixed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts