1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So can it be done?
Who makes a mount kit?
How much will it run?

JUST KIDDING!!!!! Not another one of those!
This is a project I have been thinking about for a few years, ya know take the bitch out of my 7th gen GTS...
I got a 3SGTE/Wiring harness/ECU/etc... about 6+ months ago and have been waiting for time.
I got some time this week and we got it hung so far! Axles are super straight! Making front and rear mounts next week and I am going to need a SMIM (Sheet Metal Intake manifold).
There is some space issues with the cowl and the long intake manifold that came with my 4th gen 3SGTE.
I could hack up the cowl and make it fit then fab somthing for the windshield wipers OR I could leave the cowl alone and make a SMIM to fit and the SMIM will make more power... No brainer there! SMIM it is!
This is not one of those 'Can I do It threads'
I am doing it and just going to fill ya'all in...
There will be more to come next week!
Not a great pic but that is a Caldina 3SGTE (Coil Pack Motor) sitting back with that S Engine Family Gangsta Lean.
My goal is to keep everything functioning like stock, AC, Gauges ETC...

BTW, the 3S motor fits pretty great so far... maybe there is something I have not run into yet that is the reason everyone acts like it is impossible. I cant believe no one makes a kit...
After i get this running in FWD mode I am buy the rear subframe assembly from a GT4 and going to explore the possibilitys!

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Also, it looks like you could angle the engine up a little straighter to get more room back there maybe.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
#4 i know of

#1 fensport
#2 was done by guy from cali cant remember who it was silver and he tried selling it on here or i saw it on craigslist
#3 was done by some shop back east

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure why more people have not done it!
I know there are a few out there...
fensport
I thought TRD did one
The guy in S FL but the shop closed up and there is somthing about him and some turbo kits on the Tc forums IIRC, bottom line I dont think he is going to surface.
I have seen another, I think a west coast car. It was black and clean looking.
Anyways, not enough of them out there so hopefully sooner than later one more. Ill snap some pics of my caldina manifold and the clearence I have. Not much under the cowl but this is the best placement for the motor so I will work around it.
Too bad, out of all the factory 3SGTE manifold I liked this one the best, fatter runners and only 4!
I guess i can sell it to a 3rd gen 3S guy
I found some pics of the Caldina Manifold thanks to google.com

·
Call me DIM.
1,149 Posts
what r the gains even? It just seems like the wieght of this will just throw the car wiegh off balance.
I remember reading this off a 3S-GTE swap thread:

again the 3S-GTE is NOT NOT NOT faster than a 2ZZ. it weighs about 4 times as much and only makes 20 more HP, you are actually going to loose speed because of the heavier engine going by HP to weight ratio. and then there is all the blah blah blah custom fab work to install it.

So in the end, I don't think the swap is worth it.

2zz > 3S-GTE :headbang:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I remember reading this off a 3S-GTE swap thread:

So in the end, I don't think the swap is worth it.

2zz > 3S-GTE :headbang:
Hate to say it, but yeah. People think that because it's a turbo and makes more power, it's gonna be faster. They forget weight...

BUT, to the OP, I give you mad props for taking on the swap! Takes balls to dive into something like this, keep us updated!
[email protected] lean. Imma remember that one

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lol, i like drag racing, that takes power...
Sure there are a few high power 2ZZ's out there. Just not my cup of tea... I have been all through several 2ZZ motors. I am a Expert leval Toyota Technician.
Its a good motor, but not my style (my style would be cast iron, strong, and ready for lots of airflow lol)
Call me old school, heh.
Better or not, it how I am going to be rolling and I think its fukkin groovy!
I will dyno the car after and weigh it and post up the data so everyone can stop thinking they know something and have some facts to go off.
JJSpec has a in house Mustang Dyno
Here we are playing around on it with a AR motor/auto and some spray out of the fill station (2.5 2AR '10MY and up);
http://youtu.be/ncSGnJxQwBM

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to show I am not a noob to the 2ZZ, I will be posting a very clean LOW milage 2ZZ 04+ (air injection)This is a factory low milage motor with vin numbers (06 XRS) to verify milage and a almost new (2011) factory fresh C64 for sale soon.
I not a newb to 2ZZ's, just always wanted to do this and for years not many have so about 6 months ago I finally got the balls to buy the motor. Now the project is rolling.
Not trying to advertise this stuff for sale here, I am just trying to show I know a little bit about the ZZT231 Platform...
Please dont PM me about the motor or trans until you see a FS add for it. I am saving it for when I run out of money on this project...

·
Registered
479 Posts
neat swap. your one of the few that have said it done and hopefully make it work. good luck with everything.

the only gain that most of the other swaps got from the swap was that they went all out and did the AWD conversion also. now thats something i would consider a benefit from the swap. only the dude that wanted to sell the silver celica here stayed FWD and there was also a yellow celica with the swap that only claimed to be AWD. good luck and keep us posted

·
VVTL-OL
307 Posts
I got trolled by your intro lol

Who cares if it weighs more....its an iron block. They've been proven to make power. All of the best engines are iron. JZ's, RB's, 4G63's....

Get the awd drivetrain and leave the front axles out= rwd LOL

In for results!:thumbup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got trolled by your intro lol

Who cares if it weighs more....its an iron block. They've been proven to make power. All of the best engines are iron. JZ's, RB's, 4G63's....
AMEN! My 4G63 in my sig is a STOCK block! Stock Crank, just pistons and rods!

I belive the motor and trans is about 200 lbs heavier than the 2ZZ + C60 but then i will have added wieght of the FMIC, and heavier exhaust. I know my new sheet metal intake manifold will be lighter than the factory one!

Got a Update for you guys! Uploading pics now!
BTW, This is a ST215 3SGT (Coil Pack Motor), just to make it a little harder on myself :)
BTW a 3SGTE is 86mmX86mm... Do you know what other Toyota Motor is 86x86?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is in and it fits really well! Like it was suppose to be there...
We were able to use all the 7th gen body portion of the mounts. new engine/trans mounts were fabricated. I like the fact that all the factory vibration isolators (NVH) are still in use.

After discussing, I am going to use the 3SGTE AC Compressor and have new lines made. It seems easier than using the 2ZZ AC Compressor. I am also going to use the 3SGTE PS pump, should be simple.
Still unsure of shift cables, will update that later.
I have the axles all sorted, they are being made.
The fabricator sketched me the intake manifold he has in mind and it looks sweet! Short and fat! He said a week plus on it though :(
Fabbing a 3" exhaust, I have a trick up my sleeve for that and am hopping it ends up REALLY quiet.
Fabbing IC piping for the FMIC.
I am sure there is alot more I am forgeting right now, oh yha, like the fuel system problem (returnless in the 7th gen)

This rear mount was the most detailed for fabrication

I will have many more updates

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
AMEN! My 4G63 in my sig is a STOCK block! Stock Crank, just pistons and rods!
The 839whp 2ZZ in MWR's drag car is also STOCK open deck alloy block, STOCK crank, just pistons and rods. :shrugs:

Nice swap none the less.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts