21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'm definately going to do this swap but i have some questions...

cant i just use a fwd tranny with the 3s ...
Do you think the original axels would line up ??

·
Registered
29 Posts
err i E what ? i am not good with models and parts names.

I am jsut trying to figure out if i have to convert the car to rwd cuz i dont want to to much money....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ok if i may add a few notes here. Hi Boosted! Please make that 4 documented swaps for a FACT.

I have 2 friends with that swap as we speak. a third one will be done in a short while.

Two of the cars are the JDM TOYOTA RUNX Z Aerotourer.
The one awaiting the transplant is a Toyota Matrix (US model)

All three of these cars have owners who have lost confidence in the strength of the 2zz under hard use. Of the 2 complete transplants the following engines were used:

a. The BEAMS Naturally aspirated (red cam Cover) 3S-GE
b. The 3S-GTE from the JDM Toyota Caldina (4wd sports station wagon)

Both cars have manual transmissions and are in perfect running order. the way the wiring is done is really simple (for the person who did them). the stock 2zz loom is not removed from the car, it is spliced into the ends of the 3S loom and everything looks bone stock upon completion. the stock mounting points are used so there is no need to cut the chassis of the car. adapter brackets are fabricated (before u start to guess abt strength, we have cnc machining here at really reasonable rates.)

the changes that have to be made are the radiator, thisis due to the plumbing difference on the engines and also the turbo needs the custom built double core radiator (built locally for around 250 usd and very very reliable)

Here a lot of used parts dealers buy container loads of engines from japan and half cuts and front cuts and nose cuts so its easy to get parts. a 3s-gte with gearbox will cost approx 2000usd.

NOTE: THe Caldina turbo 3S-GTE is supplied stock from factory with 260 bhp. with a greddy system and a boost controller and a few other bits and peieces these engines can make over 300hp pretty easily. The also make this 260 hp with a top mount intercooler. adding a front mount will see instant gains in power output. i will post pictures of the setup for your perusal. i will be working with the owner of the matrix for the swap so i will keep this thread posted with more details.

·
Registered
36 Posts
here are the pics to prove the turbocharged 3S-GTE in the RUNX (pronounced RUN - X)
this car has the same chassis as a xrs matrix or corolla.

now tell me how stock does that look? dont it look like that car came from the factory with that engine? A LOT of swaps happen here in jamaica.

For the real real real toyota enthusiast, if you know of the 4e-fe engine, (from the JDM toyota starlet turbo, 1300cc of displacement, made 453 whp on 25psi and i dont mean this is a one off deal...it ran and ran reallly well until the owner upgraded)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Boosted, if we spend 15,000 that car will make MUCH more power than that guranteed. my friend with a 4age BLACKTOP TURBO in his corolla pulls over 430whp and does an easy 12.1 on the quarter.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
^^ wow that engine bay looks really clean and stock.

Boosted, if we spend 15,000 that car will make MUCH more power than that guranteed. my friend with a 4age BLACKTOP TURBO in his corolla pulls over 430whp and does an easy 12.1 on the quarter.
I agree, the thing is that it seems that mechanics labor in the US is really really expensive from what I have seen in this forum.

Btw I have a 4age blacktop on an ae86 and I was thinking of boosting it with 4agze internals but I'm not sure how much power they would hold. Do you know what pistons and rods is using your friend?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Everything is relative. Those prices are based on other people doing ALL labor, and include the price of engine, trans, etc.

I could swap a 3S into my car for probably 3 grand. But thats because I can do all the work and fabrication myself. But thats not going to be a 450 HP 3S, and inexpensive 3S builds are short lived. (I have a second Gen MR2 Turbo at my house right now with a motor that a guy cratered by going cheap on the tune)

But there is no way in hell I would do that, as the 2ZZ will make more power, and do so quite reliably now that we have the Mahle drop in pistons to work with and Sleeving is no longer required.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I agree. While a 3S is a awesome engine. A 2ZZ is just newer and more efficient. The money you would spend swapping the motor you could spend building your 2ZZ and end up with a faster car. The only problem was the tranny. Up until now! E153 swap ftw!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've always thought the whole point of a 3S-GTE swap is to get the 4WD running gear and tranny...

And that transmission is not indestructable - IIRC Adrian's monster had some problems during round 1 of the Toyota Sprint this year. But he does have rather a lot of power :gap:

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've always thought the whole point of a 3S-GTE swap is to get the 4WD running gear and tranny...

And that transmission is not indestructable - IIRC Adrian's monster had some problems during round 1 of the Toyota Sprint this year. But he does have rather a lot of power :gap:
The AWD version is not indestructible, although the ST205 trans was pretty damn stout. The 3rd Gen MR2 turbo trans is damn near indestructible though - you just can't get enough traction on only 2 wheels to hurt it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
^^ wow that engine bay looks really clean and stock.

I agree, the thing is that it seems that mechanics labor in the US is really really expensive from what I have seen in this forum.

Btw I have a 4age blacktop on an ae86 and I was thinking of boosting it with 4agze internals but I'm not sure how much power they would hold. Do you know what pistons and rods is using your friend?

Hi, he is using the 4A-GZE pistons. I think the management is Haltech if memory serves correctly. you are on the right path..

·
Registered
36 Posts
OK guys i have a video of the start up of the 3sgte in the corolla fielder....i tried to do close-ups of the mount, radiator and the clearances after installation. Once get my blackberry cable i will post the video and put a link here. i also showed how the ecu is setup. the car now uses 2 ecu's one controls the engine operation and the other controls climate control, dashboard etc....

the engine is from the 2003 toyota caldina gt turbo

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.