NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came accross a 3ZZ engine upgrade for the Celica GT/GT-S today and was just wondering what some of you might know about it.

If you have a GT with the 1ZZ engine you have to do a complete swap - the price is $5700

If you have the GT-S with the 2ZZ engine the swap is $5100.

You could then sell your old engine and basically subtract the difference to get the total upgrade cost.

The reason I am posting this in the F/I forum is because I think it is an excellent alternative to the Blitz Supercharger for GT-S owners. Plus, the 3ZZ engine is essentially a beefed up 2ZZ, meaning that chances are future GT-S super/turbo kits will work flawlessly with it.

The engine alone put out 220 HP (to the crank...not exactly sure what this would come out at to the wheels)...so you can only imagine what the possibilities are with a turbo on top of that. The engine contains improved pistons/rods etc.

I don't know a lot about this engine...so I was just wondering if there is anyone that does that can give me some more information. At this point I am considering making the purchase (I own a GT) instead of a turbo kit...and then maybe look at a turbo on TOP of this somewhere down the line. Also...does anyone have any estimate on what I could get if I sold my 1ZZ engine on eBay? It has 30K miles on it.

-Brock

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Got money for racing gas 24/7 at the pump?

That's what you'll need because the 3ZZ stroker kit will bump compression somewhere into the 13:1 area.

That money would be MUCH better spent, simply dropping the compression level of your motor , and getting the XS engineering Turbo kit, or just plain getting the XS turbo kit with the stock internals.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Not sure if the 3ZZ actually bump the compression. The pistons are higher compression, but I believe the rods are shorter so you still get the same compression of 11.5:1 (that's what their sales told me).

Anyways, NA is the way to go if we have upgraded cams. But since the 2ZZ cams are made by a special way, most aftermarket companies are unable to make one.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yah..i read somewhere that if your'e going to change the compression that you should also upgrade your cams...on a side note, you may also want to consider the cost of labor for both projects and include that in the final price, unless you plan on doing the work yourself.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I think there's a TON of confusion right now as to what this kit actually does. I know that I am right now... .

check out this page:

http://www.trial.co.jp/trial-usa/original/engine/engine.html

and most importantly this quote from that page :

After the kit you get about 220 hp and 20 kg of torque. on Japanese high octane gas (105).
The Engine will hold up to 8,000 RPM. The valves are thought to be week
point of this engine. The stock valves are generally ok up to 7,000 rpms, but if you plan on going over that,
a valve kit is recommended. The valves used on the Trial Shop Car are $2434.95
Note: Quality of gasoline varies from country to country. The above stats were acquired with Japanese 105 octane gas.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Also keep in mind that Japanese 105 octane gas is NOT US 105 octane gas. RON actually has a higher equivalent number to US gas. For example Japanese 100 is about 94~95 in the US.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
What do you guys think about this engine. I am actually thinking of buying it when I get the money. What do you suggest. Like Synapse said, busting this engine will give a lot more power.
It doesn't seem to me like a lot of celica owners are interested in it by the response of you guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you're gonna do something as drastic as that, why not stay all motor? To Turbo something like that would be like the idiots that turbo an ITR...a waste of a beautiful motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts