NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got pulled over on my way to school for going 40 in a 25. To be honest, I wasn't even paying attention to how fast I was going because I always drive down this road at the same speed, though I could have been going pretty fast since I just sped up to make the yellow light, dick was hiding behind a billboard though. It's my first ticket, and I don't want my premium going up, so any advice to fight this? He hasn't given me a fine, just said that it'll come in in several weeks if i get a fine or traffic school or w/e. On the ticket he gave me, it does say all my vehicle info, that it's a celica and all, but under that says its a Tesla (he told me at the time of issuing the ticket to ignore it and that it was from an earlier ticket). So can I appeal this in court saying he got the Tesla that was driving in front of me but decided to pull me over instead or what? :|

·
2,644 Posts
you can try
but since its your first ticket, and im guessing you're under the age of 21, you can do "probation before judgement" basically means that you'll be "forgiven" for the ticket, but if you get another ticket within a 1 or two year waiting period (depends on the judge) you'll pay for both of the tickets.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yeah, dunno how it works where you live - or where the ticket was given, anyway - but if you shoot for court probation or whatever they call it, all you have to do is keep your nose clean for 12 months, etc. You might look into that in that area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, ima try that probation thing, should I try any other way to appeal it? Like would the probation before judgement be better than going to traffic school?

·
Registered
132 Posts
as long as you dont get points thats the best way

·
Registered
224 Posts
Depending on what the summons says and it looks like it was handwritten. You might be able to get it dismissed. You can try one of those citation services if they have them in your area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was one of the motorcycle cops and his ass is just hiding behind a billboard at a sharp turn. He printed me out a citation and it says I was driving a Tesla. Maybe I'll go appeal saying he clocked the Tesla but pulled me over by mistake? Would I be better off requesting an alternative punishment or should I plead not guilty?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would note the fact that it says tesla, and that you own and drive a celica. But if that doesn't work, do what you can to get defensive driving. In texas, it's get defensive, pay court costs, pay 25 bucks for the defensive, turn it in, done. If you get another ticket and you've taken defensive that year, you can get deferred disposition, which is where you pay an astronomical fine ($300), stay out of trouble for 3 months, and if you're under 25, take defensive AGAIN. And that is why I'll never speed and launch in front of a cop in the same year again :D

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lucky you didn't get a ticket here in Canada, I'm 21 years old , have a CLEAN DRIVING RECORD, I have insurance on a 2000 Ford F150 under my name, i pay $2,100 a year or $175 a month, also for my celica to be a secondary i pay an extra $900 a year, which i take off in the winter time, get about $100 back in rebates, so pretty much i pay 3G's a year or $241 a month for just insurance, now imagine me getting a ticket, honestly bringing me up to $4000 a year just to drive!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, thanks for the info guys. I gotta wait it out til I get something in the mail, will give me plenty of time to think of a good excuse and story to back it up :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Maybe something to consider but i actually got a ticket for 41 in a 25 a little over a year ago which is bs since he straight up told me he was letting people go up to 40 mph without any issues. But anyways he was a prick and gave me a ticket which i decided to fight or in my case "ask for leniancy" on the points which i eventually won but the point is, after it was all said and done, the court fees costed more than the actual ticket. If you're trying to save some points, i'd say fight it but you might as well except the fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Maybe something to consider but i actually got a ticket for 41 in a 25 a little over a year ago which is bs since he straight up told me he was letting people go up to 40 mph without any issues. But anyways he was a prick and gave me a ticket which i decided to fight or in my case "ask for leniancy" on the points which i eventually won but the point is, after it was all said and done, the court fees costed more than the actual ticket. If you're trying to save some points, i'd say fight it but you might as well except the fine.
Consider the insurance impact, monthly, for these points for the years before they fall off and court costs aren't much.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I got a 69 in a 55 a while ago its the only thing on my record, my insurance only went up $29 a month and that's for 2 vehicles but i just payed the ticket lol i pulled over before he even got all the way turned around.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Considering I'm a new driver, with a coupe, and male, and already been involved in several accidents (which I'm not at fault), insurance is most likely going to be going up for me, and by a lot. I think I'll try to get traffic school with the probation before judgement, if possible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts