NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All right, so recently I installed my TRD Action Package Wing and when I got to setting up the wiring for the 3rd brake light, I found conflicting information about the end result. From reading the official Toyota installation instructions, I gathered that after you switch the power wire that's going to the connector for the high-mount brake light to the connector for the wing's brake light, you'd only have the wing's light coming on instead of the high-mount. Since the high-mount no longer acts as a brake light in this case, it's typically covered up using a supplied brake light cover. However, after I found a couple forum threads where this one person somehow managed to end up with all 4 brake lights coming on (How do I disable the 3rd brake light? someone help) (Does anyone know how to disable 3rd brake roof light?), I became confused as to how that even happened. More research revealed that the only way this usually happens is if the power wires are spliced together in some way (a version using a long jumper wire can seen in this video:

Well, after processing all of this I became curious. Why do you have to switch the power wires anyways? Why don't all 4 brake lights come on as soon as you connect the wing into a connector that's on every Celica from the factory? That's when I decided that I had to get to the bottom of this mystery. First up, the aforementioned power wires (wing's power wire on the left, high-mount's on the right). Both wires are green with a white stripe, and as per Toyota's instructions, these wires are to be switched in order to get power to the wing's brake light.

Well, after doing the switch myself, I did indeed confirm that power only went to the wire that went to the connector for the high-mount brake light. Whichever connector gets that wire will have power, while the other is a dud. Now I had yet another question, why is one wire a dud? Both wires run from the same section of harness, so unless one was disconnected, shouldn't it also be getting power? This prompted me to follow the harness down and see where the wires go.

Not too far down from where we started, I found this connector fastened to the wall under the upper rear panel behind the driver. See both green and white wires in front of my finger? These are our power wires for the wing (left) and high-mount (right).

Here's our culprit, there is no pin going to the power wire for the wing's connector! This explains why Toyota wants us to switch the wires up top, the power is only ever going to one wire, while the other is only there to be switched out when installing the TRD Wing. This is why you will only have 3 out of the 4 lights come on when you install the wing on a Celica with a high-mount brake light. It also turns out that Celica's with the Action Package from the factory had "dummy" high-mounts that had no internals, meaning they likely also lacked the wiring coming from it as well (I haven't been able to confirm this, if anybody has a Celica with the Action Package Wing installed from the factory, please post if the wiring varies). Anyways, I personally liked the idea of having all 4 brake lights come on, but I didn't want to cut and splice any wires, so I instead devised a very clever way to do this.

This here is a connector that went to my airbag module. Two of the wires were chewed off by mice and I had to replace it, but I kept it just in case. I chose this specifically because the gauge and strand count is similar if not exactly the same as the wiring for the brake lights. I cut one of the small wires off of it, then stripped it and twisted it. This resulted in the perfect mini jumper wire.

I then placed one side of the jumper directly in the slot where the pin would have gone in for the wing's power wire, and the other in the opposite side of where the pin goes in for the high-mount's power wire, but within the same in the terminal. Afterwards I reconnected the connector, being careful to not let the jumper fall out, and made sure everything else was hooked up fine. I actually also switched the power wires up top back to their original connectors since the wiring flows better that way in my opinion.

And voila! All 4 brake lights come on nice and bright without any issues. I'm very glad I was able to do this without having to cut, splice, or run extra wires. It keeps everything as original as possible and makes use of a factory wire that otherwise has likely never been used by anybody.

Finally, an extra night picture just for show! Ironically enough, the creator of the threads I linked wanting to get rid of this look is what inspired me to get it. A couple people in the first thread even wanted pictures. That was way back in 2004 :eek:! My car was only one year old at that time and I was still in elementary school. I wonder if they ever got them? I'm almost tempted to resurrect those threads and deliver after 17 years :ROFLMAO:. Anyways, if you read this entire thing, thanks! I hope this post helps anybody else trying to do this mod without having too much hassle.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Don’t know why you didn’t just strap some 2x4 across the wing and zip tie the light before using scotch locks to jump the cables.,

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good

Sent from my TECNO KC8 using Tapatalk
i love how a friggin bot revives this

Don’t know why you didn’t just strap some 2x4 across the wing and zip tie the light before using scotch locks to jump the cables.,
Can't tell if a joke or not... On the hand, it seems absurd. On the other, I wouldn't be shocked people do that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts