NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...looking to dump the Celica, but trying to find either an even swap or something that is worth less than my Celica. KBB private party value on my Celica is aroun $10,000.

In an attempt to lower my monthly payment (which I purchased 1 year ago for $7200 and pay $200 a month for 36 months - financing by mom kicks azs - no interest) and get a sedan since my girlfried has 2 kids, I have been looking around.

I've found several 5th Gen Maximas (2000-2003) in my price range that have equal or less mileage than my Celica (62k), cost less than KBB Trade-In on my car ($8500) and have amenities I like (leather & Bose sound). I don't like the 6th Gen Maxima body-style and don't see much else in my price range that I like. I keep finding Ford Fvcuses, Cavaliers and other pieces of crap. I'm trying to stay import for the reliability factor and I don't want an SUV.

Has anyone had any experience with this generation Maxima that can give a little more insight to any issues it may have? Thanks!

·
Boobze
3,237 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
^x2

put the extra baggage where it belongs, in the hatch!

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
lets start at step 1
Well, you know she puts out. :D

It's a maxima. The interior is cheap, but you knew that before even looking at it. It's like asking what problems are associated with the accord. Well, the front tires used to wear our real fast in the older models due to the flex bar. That didn't make them unreliable. Enjoy your 4DSC. :thumbup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you know she puts out.
I was going to say that...had actually written it, but was trying to stay on topic.

I am aware of the interior being cheap - I guess they have some rattles, but I'm used to that coming out of the Celica.

Well, the front tires used to wear our real fast in the older models due to the flex bar
Older models of the 5th gen or prior generations? And is this something that can be easily remidied?

they're pretty solid cars, especially if you can find an SE manual.
I wasn't sure which trim to look for. I trust your judgement on this, so I'll take your advice and look for an SE - definitely has to be a manual. Unfortunately, Marc, as you probably remember I was looking into the new Civic Si sedan, but I just can't justify spending more money than I am right now. We're moving soon and with the economy being as it is, I'd rather just keep things the status quo with my car payment.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I can't comment much on the cheap interior as our Nissan Maxima was actually what the US got for the Infiniti I30. Had a 2001 for some time, definitely smooth comfortable car and if you hate the Celica's torquelessness you will definitely like the Maxima a lot. It moves decently fast. No need to tell you fuel economy will suck compared to the Celica, but it wasn't too bad with the auto, so if you get a manual you should be ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts