NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what some of you recommended as far as the weight of the oil used for the summer months. Some have said that 5W 30 works good all year-round. Whereas others have said that the summer brings warmer temperaures so the oil needs to be thicker.

Also, I have switched to synthetic Mobil 1 Extended Performance from the regular synthetic Mobil 1 oil for 1 oil change and the Extended Performance has extra additives and I heard that extra additives are harder on the engine. So since I don't wait longer than 4,000 miles to change the oil anyways should I just go back to the regular Mobil 1 synthetic oil to avoid the harmful effects of the additives in the Extended Performance oil?

·
Registered
623 Posts
IMO, I'd stick with regular Mobil 1, not the extended stuff since you change your oil at 4k. If you are in Cali for the summer, you may want to go with 10w30. I'm in Phoenix, and that's what I am doing. It's just a bit of insurance for the bearings. In 115+ heat, 5w is gonna be a lil thin. Just my$0.02.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
You do realize that the 5 and 10 in 5w30 and 10w30 are the COLD oils' characteristics, right?

Under normal operating temps BOTH of these oils will flow like a 30 weight, meaning that the difference between 5w30 and 10w30 is the 10w30's resistance to flow under cold start up (even during the summer months). This resistance to flow PREVENTS the proper lubrication of the bearings during cold start up.

Please disregard what that person said above.

If you're REALLY concerned about your oil thinning out then you should go with a higher operating temperature weight.

5w40 or 10w40, for example... notice the higher second number.

All in all, I have NEVER noticed a decrease in oil pressures (which would indicate a decrease in viscosity) while watching my oil pressure gauge, even during the summer months and 100-degree weather! Although, this is during normal driving and the occasional redline blasts through the gears.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Don't listen to the 5W40 or 10W40 recommendations.

You should stick with either 5W30 or 10W30 and here's why:

In order to get wider viscosity ranges, oil manufacturers need to add viscosity modifiers. The wider the range, the less base oil stock and the more modifiers. You want an oil that is 100% base stock oil with no modifiers. All 10W30 oils are like this. Some 5W30 oils are like this. Mobil 1 5W30 is 100% base stock for instance, but some regular oils may not be.

Also, 5W and 10W30 oils do not behave the same when hot. Those ratings merely give a general description of the slope of the viscosity vs. temperature line of the oil. 10W30 should give you a bit better protection in the summer when very hot.

Also, quality synthetic oils like Mobil 1, AMSOIL and Royal Purple have far superior cold pouring qualities compared with regular oils. So in the winter, a 10W30 AMSOIL or Mobil 1 will flow much better than a 10W30 Pennzoil or similar.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jesse,

So are you recommending using 10W 30 in the summer AND the winter or were you just saying that AMSOIL or Mobil 1 10W 30 are better than other brands of 10W 30 in the winter? cause I always thought that 5W 30 was best for the cold months. . .The oil that I'm putting in shortly will be in there until late Fall probably.

Also as far as Mobil 1's Extended Performance extra additives, are those harmful for the engine? cause if they are I'll just go back to the regular synthetic since I change at no more than 4000 miles.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I'm just saying that Mobil 1 and AMSOIL have better properties when extremely cold. I'd probably still run 5W30 in the dead of winter.

Also, I don't really know anything about Mobil's additives.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I'm probably going to go with Mobil 1 10W 30 for the summer then Mobil 1 5W 30 for the colder months. But I'm not sure about either getting the regular or the Extended Performance.

Is there any sort of general consensus, either positive or negative on additives to oil?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,527 Posts
I'm with Jesse on the weight.. 5W30 cold... 10W30 if you're running into alot of 80+ days...or doing a really long trip & want to avoid any viscosity breakdown.

As for the extended... "Proprietary formulation with 50 percent more SuperSyn helps keep engines running like new." I'd say that means less base oils...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dude just dont worry about it, just use 5w30 mobil 1 all year round, i've been runnin that for 2 or 3 years now and no problems. Mobil 1 is good oil you shouldnt have to worry about anything. I did just switch to royal purple tho becuase i have a friend who swears by it, so i figured i would try it.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can anyone tell me though, is less base of an oil bad?
I've made my mind up to use 10W 30 for the summer, just need to know if I should use Regular or Extended Performance.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,527 Posts
Wish I could give you a definite answer.... I would think you would be fine with either... if the extended perf is more expensive in comparison.... I doubt that you will see any major difference w/your drain interval & would go w/the less expensive.... only my opinion & not based on fact.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
use Regular synthetic during the 3 months or so for summer..then use the extended for the fall, winter, and spring month..that's wat i'm gonna do..since u don't run the car that hard anyway during the colder months..so Regular for summer and extened for winter and such..

·
Registered
521 Posts
I run Redline 10w40

1 - 17 of 17 Posts