NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Celica C60 6 speed manual tranny has had a few part number substitutions to fix a problem with grinding when shifting into 3rd and 4th gear. This applies to any vehicle built before January of 2003 The dealer will probably screw up if you let them order the parts for you from the ones that come up in the parts system. Here are the correct part numbers for the new gears, syncros and sleeve for 3rd and 4th gear:

3rd Gear: 33034-20071
3rd Gear Syncro: 33368-20080
4th Gear: 33035-20181
4th Gear Syncro: 33368-12210
3-4 shift Sleeve: 33364-12030

Search Keywords:
grinds when shifting
grinding when shifted into 3rd gear
grinding when shifted into 4th gear
third gear
fourth gear
syncro
sincro
cannot shift into gear

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW feel free to sticky this

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
I was doing some troubleshooting over the weekend and was wondering if you have any input into the situation.

Sometimes while at high RPMs in 2nd, if I shift into 3rd, the shifter will want to "pop out" of gear. At first I though that the problem was a bent shifter fork, but I then figured something out...

While rolling (30 mph) with the car in neutral and the clutch pedal fully pressed to the floor (stock clutch with 30k miles) if I slowly shift the car into 3rd, about half way into gear I can hear and feel grinding. If I fully put the car into gear, it goes away. But if I hold it there, there is definately grinding which increases with the speed of the car. And it only happens in 3rd gear. I tried it in 4th, 5th, 6th, and 2nd (I know it would do it in 1st) and no grinds when slowly putting it into gear.

I believe the reason that the shifter is popping out of gear at high RPMs while shifting into 3rd is because of the grinding, and the fact that at higher speeds the grinding would be worse.

Would the problem be worn 3rd gear synchros, even if the the clutch pedal was fully pressed to the floor?

Could you possibly explain how synchros function in the c60? Or what inertia lock key type synchromesh means?..."forward gears in the C60 transmission are constant mesh, which use an inertia lock key type synchromesh mechanism." Or in other words, the difference between constant mesh and sliding mesh.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blue Bomber said:
Good info! :thumbup: When were these parts updated?
January of 2003

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
slidr said:
I was doing some troubleshooting over the weekend and was wondering if you have any input into the situation.

Sometimes while at high RPMs in 2nd, if I shift into 3rd, the shifter will want to "pop out" of gear. At first I though that the problem was a bent shifter fork, but I then figured something out...

While rolling (30 mph) with the car in neutral and the clutch pedal fully pressed to the floor (stock clutch with 30k miles) if I slowly shift the car into 3rd, about half way into gear I can hear and feel grinding. If I fully put the car into gear, it goes away. But if I hold it there, there is definately grinding which increases with the speed of the car. And it only happens in 3rd gear. I tried it in 4th, 5th, 6th, and 2nd (I know it would do it in 1st) and no grinds when slowly putting it into gear.

I believe the reason that the shifter is popping out of gear at high RPMs while shifting into 3rd is because of the grinding, and the fact that at higher speeds the grinding would be worse.

Would the problem be worn 3rd gear synchros, even if the the clutch pedal was fully pressed to the floor?

Could you possibly explain how synchros function in the c60? Or what inertia lock key type synchromesh means?..."forward gears in the C60 transmission are constant mesh, which use an inertia lock key type synchromesh mechanism." Or in other words, the difference between constant mesh and sliding mesh.
doesn't really sounds like a syncro problem - their function is simply to allow the speeds of the gear and the shaft to syncronize to the same speed so they can be locked together. Sounds more like a bent shift fork, worn teeth on gear and/or sleeve, or possibly a problem with the detents on the sleeve hub.

What they mean by "constant mesh, which use an inertia lock key" is that the gears are always in mesh and the sleeve teeth and gear dogs are cut in such a way that when drive force is applied through the tranny they are actually locked more firmly in place.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I'll take credit for being the cause of this being figured out :chucles:

I'm going to move this to the transmission section and sticky it.

Dave, does this only apply to the 2000-01 transmissions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts