NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
You can still bring it down some more. You might encounter some rust issues later on. I'd pay $1200, but then the market here is a bit different than the US.

·
Oh Hai
4,252 Posts
thats a lot of miles. try to bargain the price a bit lower.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am going to shoot for $1500. Looks like they have reposted it a couple of times on CL. I took at look at it, but haven't driven it yet. Just looking to buy a decent running truck for under $3k. Nothing fancy. I'm also looking at a 98 Ram 4x4 for $3k, but the seller seems a little too anxious to get rid of it. Kind of worrying considering what happened a week ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good choice, 1800-2k sounds pretty fair. You will probably be able to sell it in a couple years for what you bought it for.

There is nothing better than a beater truck. I got my 4x4 s10 with 225k on it two years ago for 2g's and it still runs. It stays unlocked everywhere I go, perfect for the beach, taking the dog around, or camping.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I am going to shoot for $1500. Looks like they have reposted it a couple of times on CL. I took at look at it, but haven't driven it yet. Just looking to buy a decent running truck for under $3k. Nothing fancy. I'm also looking at a 98 Ram 4x4 for $3k, but the seller seems a little too anxious to get rid of it. Kind of worrying considering what happened a week ago.

Please dont buy this truck (Ram). I have known 5 different people with this truck and they are plegued with problems. Especially transmission problems. Its no wonder why the owner is anxious to get rid of it!!!

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the miles so much. As long as it runs good and looks decent they usually last forever. As others have said, you can probably sell it in a couple years for what you pay for it. I've done that with a couple hondas.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the truck. Kind of crappy pictures (I didn't take them). I haven't driven it yet, but the sellers will accept $2k for it. Overall, it looks in good condition for a 20 year old truck.

I'll be driving it tonight.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I had an 88 4runner with the v6 and had nothing but problems. Then bought an 86 4runner from the same guy with the 22re (4 cylinder) was the best truck I owned. I would look for one of those. It would pull my boat out better then my brothers 1500 with a towing package, his just liked to go down the road better because it weighed more. I would still have it today if my brother didn’t wreck it.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Have to agree that the 22R-E is a tough engine. The fact that it has a double number should be a give away that the R-engine has been around for quite some time (dates back to the late '50s) and has countless improvements over the years.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have to agree that the 22R-E is a tough engine. The fact that it has a double number should be a give away that the R-engine has been around for quite some time (dates back to the late '50s) and has countless improvements over the years.
I would love to find one in my price range, but they are over priced. Anything with a 22R usually gets $500 more tacked on at least, If it is fuel injected, up that to $1k.

I took it for a test drive last night. The guy has done a ton of work to it (Maintenance), and has owned it for a few years. It is his Daily driver. It does need a tune up and new motor mounts, but otherwise it's still solid. I think I am going to buy it unless something come's up between now and 7PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts