NewCelica.org Forum banner

92 na mr 2 owner looking to buy a gts

721 views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  143hawaii 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi I own a 92 n/a Mr 2. I am considering purchasing a gts, I was wondering if any one on this board has gone from a 2 to a gts? Thanks for your help!

#6 ·
I bought a celica then decide to go buy a 2. Use the celica as my daily driver now while i build the 2. There both great cars and fun to drive but there also very diff. I love the 6-spd and reving to 8300 but having a 2 seater turbo rwd t-top car is a blast also. Don't know if that helps or not.

#10 ·
I am going through the same thing. I have a 93 MR2 NA and am strongly considering the GT-S. I think the GT-S is a gorgeous car inside and out. However, things like FWD, lack of aftermarket and no removable top at times tend to make me sway away from it. But nonetheless, I need to find a practical car and the MR2 is not that practical of a car. I mean I picked up my gf and her friend from the airport and fit their luggage all in my 2. Don't know how I did it but I managed. I love the MR2. It is a very reliable car with stunning looks. It's up to you. But if you need a practical car and can't afford to have 2 cars then I would opt for the Celica.

#12 · (Edited)
I wish my car was a turbo! Believe me I am "flirting" with the idea of keeping my 2 and getting a gts. However, I currently own . 1. 92 na mr2
2. 95 Tacoma
3. 98 (996) Super Hawk.

So something "has to" go. Thanks for the info oldster . I wouldn't turbo my car! I would sell it and buy a turbo. I figure if Toyota thought the 5sfe was "turbo worthy" , They would have put a turbo on it and not used the 3sgte. Just my 2 cents.

#13 ·
The Game said:
Id rather go from a GT-S to an MR2!!
I concur. I'd much rather have a 92 MR2 (even N/A), than a GTS. FWD sucks. Even with less power, you can still turn the MR2 into a road course runner. It's a much more fun car.

#18 · (Edited)
Wassup Gamb1t, I went from:

FWD NA (Honda Accord) to
FWD NA (Honda Prelude Si) to
AWD Turbo (88 Celica Turbo All-trac) to
RWD Turbo(91 Supra Turbo) to
FWD NA(95 GSR) to
RWD Turbo (91 MR2 Turbo) to finally..
FWD NA (2003 Celica GT-S).

Although I miss my MR2 Turbo sometimes, fun because of RWD but scary too because if its snap oversteer nature, I'm having a blast with my Celica fo sure! Mr2's are pretty hard to work on and the turbo models require a lot of maintenance, I had to change out my clutch and it was one of the more unpleasant experiences of my life. ;) I had one of the cleanest 91's around thats for sure, take a peep.

Me and my Prestine Condition Supra Turbo tossed in ;)

#22 ·
I went from a GT -> MR2 Spyder! I don't know if that counts.

But if you haven't driven a MkII MR2-T then you should. I know how bad the NA's need more power. 5SFE? Ekk.

You may also want to try your hand at a MR2-S. Then again for 95% of the population looking for a practical daily driver, this isn't your car. But if you're willing to put up with the lack of space, it's an excellent car. I'm sure "Tikked" would agree ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.