NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was out Saturday night enjoying the milder weather here on the east coast (short lived it's cold here again today!). Trolled around for while didn't really find anything interesting to run so I started to head home down a four lane road. Get on it a bit to get through a yellow light and as I'm pulling up to a red light up the road I notice a set of blueish tint lights and fog lights in the lane next to me a few carlengths back that wasn't there just a few seconds ago but he's staying back. Come up to the redlight and there's a car in both lanes already. Guy doesn't pull up so I didn't see what kind of car it was.

So the light goes green and the car in front of me pulls out slower than the car in the right lane and there's a lane merge coming up into one lane when all of a sudden this blue blur blows by me and swerves between both cars. I immediately see it's a WRX, modded with european taillights and an exhaust at least. I downshift to 2nd gear and pull around both cars quickly and I'M NOT REALLY CATCHING HIM!

Quick shift 3rd the clutch holds ok (my stock clutch is ailing) and now I'm creeping up on him, 4th comes and goes and now we're doing like 110-120MPH easy and I'm up closer now but MAN that took a while to catch him! Crest a hill and Mr WRX hits the brakes because there's someone up ahead of him so I'm right in back of him until we are coming up on the next light a ways down the road, he signals right which will put us onto a nice four lane road again (two lanes each direction), we take the right turn and he jets into the left lane, no traffic in front of us for a ways, I straighten out and we wait a second or two, I'm a few carlengths back now and we lay into it at the same time, me in 2nd gear, start to wind out 2nd, not gaining right away quick shift 3rd NOW I'm starting to gain, pass him close to the top of 3rd slowly, he jets in behind me because of a car in his lane, switch into the left lane and I let off since we're passing a few cars now, traffic is clear again, I get into the right lane and a red light is coming up, we decelerate together, I pop the driver's side window down, he's already got his passenger window down. We give each other the thumbs up and once we down to low enough speeds, we chat.

Come to find out he's running catback exhaust, some kind of downpipe, some kind of uppipe and an MBC I think. I also heard a BOV valve but that could be stock?? Didn't ask. Either way, this was a very quick WRX, had the golden BBS type wheels on it. Come to think of it the headlights didn't look normal either, definitely had sharp looking fog lights (blueish hue) and the headlights were blue as well (don't think that's normal?). He said he had a chip waiting in the box at home, not sure what that means exactly when it comes to WRX's. He asked my mods I told him basic intake/exhaust, nothing more. After the light we went again with me behind him and I was able to keep up and actually had to let off the pedal to keep from hitting him from behind. Very nice WRX! Hate to think what he's going to be like when he gets whatever chip he's talking about. I thought these things didn't need a chip with a boost controller?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So what happened in 1999? Did you roll in a fat bonus or something?

·
Registered
395 Posts
i raced one in my 2001 ws6 and easily beat it, but the car we're gonna have to look after are the wrx sti's that will be coming out soon. supposedly all wheel drive turbo with 300hp. that would probably beat my ram air. that would be my next car if i were to get back into imports.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XFactor95SupraT said:
So what happened in 1999? Did you roll in a fat bonus or something?
The SVT I bought new, and I'm selling it if you know anyone who'd be interested! :) Nice one owner car to say the least.

The 99 SS I bought last November used, so no, unfortunately, no big fat bonus that year...just a steady good income stream...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chrisle7220 said:
i raced one in my 2001 ws6 and easily beat it, but the car we're gonna have to look after are the wrx sti's that will be coming out soon. supposedly all wheel drive turbo with 300hp. that would probably beat my ram air. that would be my next car if i were to get back into imports.
Yeah I agree both the WRX STi and the soon to come EVO VIII are going to be fierce competitors to say the least. I've also run a couple of stock WRX's and they weren't nearly as quick as this WRX was, especially on top end.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
wow.. thats amazing how well the wrx kept up with u. esp from a roll? and you have an SS? LS1? damn.. well good story.. esp coming from a domestic owner ;) hehe..

·
Registered
654 Posts
wrx owners have to be carefull with uping the boost with no engine mangement, especialy if they have a CAI which has been proven time and time again to make no power and make the car run worst. high quailty mods go a very long way too. i have a old but proven unichip from vishnu and that with all my mods helped me keep up and pull on some of the big boys...TT3000gt VR-4, 300ZXTT, RX-7TT, CamaroSS, modded mustang 5.0's,

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
lol, a 300Z ain't a "big boy"...Nissan has one true baby, and we all know it ain't the 300Z.

No offense Matt...your ride is still tight.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
In the states the ZX was a big boy and running high 13s at over 100MPH is not bad for its time period

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know it was a fairly respectable car...I used to have a LOT more respect for it. But

One day there was this kid in Santa Barbara with a Stillen Stage 3 turbo upgrade and all kinds of other sh!t on his Z. This thing was WAAY modded. So he calls me out...I turn him down, because all I have is an Intake and a BOV (which doesn't even do anything for me). He's telling everyone how his car has like 400+ wheel horse power, and calling everyone in the parking lot out. He comes up to me a few more times, and I turn him down again and again. So finally we hear about some bored and stroked 454 El Camino that runs 10's is going to run some 9second Nova. So we're all heading out, and of course the punk in the Z pulls next to me first chance he gets at a red light. So I figure, ah what the hell, why not run him...no one's watching. As the light turned green, I spun a little, and he hooked. I didn't get too bad a start, and was hooked soon after. He pulled about a car on me initially, because of my poor start. But as SOON as I got traction, I just pulled him back in, and shot out passed him. I pulled and pulled and pulled...by the time we reached 110mph, I was a good 3 cars ahead of him.

Anyway, when I talked to him later, he told me he would have beat me, but he wasn't ready to race, so he was "only" boosting 18PSI. I then informed him I was only running 9-11PSI, and an intake, and I still beat him. He didn't say too much after that.

This type of thing has happened time and time again...I ran some guy in Lompoc with an NA 300Z with a built motor and lots of NOS (like 150+), and ripped him apart, and raced a few BPU'd ...haven't had ONE loss to a Z yet. I'm losing respect for them...but maybe I just run into sh!tty drivers...who knows?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EuGeNiLe GTS said:
wow.. thats amazing how well the wrx kept up with u. esp from a roll? and you have an SS? LS1? damn.. well good story.. esp coming from a domestic owner ;) hehe..
Yep, pretty much the same thing I was thinking...

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Yeah stock the WRX's aren't bad but you put about 2300 in them and you are pushing close to 300 at the crank...Which would make the car 25k not too bad..

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
Chippin a WRX = Big Boy Status...

I am unchipped right now and about 240 horse... the guys are tell me with some tunning Ill hit the 270-290 area

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
[QUOTEI'm losing respect for them...but maybe I just run into sh!tty drivers...who knows? [/B][/QUOTE]

There were some 11 second 300 zx's at california speedway on sunday march 9th, actually there were 2, 11 secons z's and one 13 second Z,

and some damn fast eclipse, running 11's too, that car was crazy, it took off like a top fuel dragster, had 1.5 60' foot times.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
cream of the crop for the 300Z community...I bet that 11second Z is their poster child...I've got no doubt that they're out there, but for a car so common, you'd think they would have experimented with them so much they'd be taking down Supras left and right...I mean just look at the aftermarket for the Z compared to the Supra...it's like 10times bigger, if not MORE. And even with the turbo upgrade @ 18PSi that Z couldn't hang with my big bad HKS Super Mega Flow Intake and Super Sequential Blow off Valve.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Rich Baur had has had both-Skyline(still has it) and ZX TT-the ZX went 13.79 at 101 stock and the skyline R34 went 13.5 at 101.
If that Z didn't beat you-something is wrong. Your mods suggest at best 2 tenths faster than stock. And that HKS Megaflow intake is junk-get it out of there before it damages your motor.
The ZX TT is harder to work on than the mark 4 TT,has crappy brakes and weak pistons. Don't be fooled-they can really fly and with pistons can put out unreal power. The reason why the really fast ones are not abundant is because only recently did 720ccs come out for them. Judging a car by ones you race on the street is absurd.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts