NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now that it's getting cold again, i'm hearing this noise that i dealt with all last winter. it literally sounds like a small animal is burrowing inside my dash. doesn't matter if a/c controls are on or off. only happens when the car is on and warming up. gets a little louder if i give it a little gas, but eventually quits. any ideas?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I suppose a mouse in the dash sound could be small bubbles in the coolant lines. I had a larger version of this occurring and I explained it as a crinked hose when I started my car up, it goes away after a few seconds. I had the dealership "burp" my coolant lines and the problem went away for about a year or so, now its back.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by ColdFuzion
I suppose a mouse in the dash sound could be small bubbles in the coolant lines. I had a larger version of this occurring and I explained it as a crinked hose when I started my car up, it goes away after a few seconds. I had the dealership "burp" my coolant lines and the problem went away for about a year or so, now its back.
:werd:
Probably just air in your cooling system. Fairly common problem. After you drive the car next time, turn it off, take off the large engine plastic on the left, and you'll see the coolant reservoir in the front middle of the engine bay, right by the hood latch. Remove the white plug, and any excess air should come out. Do this 2-3 times and the noise should be gone.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I bet the sound he's describing is coming from the connector to the instruments. Have you ever had them out before? I had mine out several times and must not have had them back in very well because I was getting a crackling sound from there when the car was very cold.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
:werd:
Probably just air in your cooling system. Fairly common problem. After you drive the car next time, turn it off, take off the large engine plastic on the left, and you'll see the coolant reservoir in the front middle of the engine bay, right by the hood latch. Remove the white plug, and any excess air should come out. Do this 2-3 times and the noise should be gone.
cool. i will try this. i need to flush the system anyways, but i'll do this for now

Originally posted by Jesse IL
I bet the sound he's describing is coming from the connector to the instruments. Have you ever had them out before? I had mine out several times and must not have had them back in very well because I was getting a crackling sound from there when the car was very cold.
never had the instruments out...

Originally posted by slidr
Could it be your belt or belt tensioner?
doubt it. it's not that kind of sound.

thanks for the answers guys. hopefully this stuff will fix the problem

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
could be mice, cuz the guy at mydealership said they have removed mouse nest, in the dash (pass. side)on a couple of celicas, might wanna look into it:confused:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by bluedevil02
could be mice, cuz the guy at mydealership said they have removed mouse nest, in the dash (pass. side)on a couple of celicas, might wanna look into it:confused:
if it was warm when this happens, then i might, but it's only when it's cold outside and the engine is cold

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a similar sound when i start up the car, but also when I turn it off. Next time u turn your car off wait and listen for it. I just thought it was the computer making sound (calculations and stuff), although it's pretty loud for a computer. My mom's bmw does that too, and I know it's the computer on her car.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by mackeywatson
I have a similar sound when i start up the car, but also when I turn it off. Next time u turn your car off wait and listen for it. I just thought it was the computer making sound (calculations and stuff), although it's pretty loud for a computer. My mom's bmw does that too, and I know it's the computer on her car.
how do you know it's the computer? my home computer doesn't even make that much noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts