NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a more than a few people have been dying their entire interior. Many of them say it is still scratchable. I had the same problem when doing my friend's interior. Apparently, the interior panels don't like the dye as much as the center console. After some testing, I've come to the conclusion that you need about 5 coats to make teh dye pretty much unscratchable.

The first coat should be lighter than the rest, and serve as a base coat, just to make sure the plastic will accept the dye. The other coats should be pretty thick, but not to the point of sagging or dripping. They should be just thick enough so they shine before drying. Using a hairdryer helps speed things up exponentially.

You should let the pieces sit for at least an hour in a warm location, so the dye can cure to the point of being able to be handled. Then I'd say wait at least a day before you reinstall them.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jeffery_23 said:
thanks Blue Bomber for the tips ~
by da way ~ can i apply the dye paint
on another coat of paint ?
coz i painted my console b4
In theory, you should be able to. I painted over a prepainted metal computer case, and it came out fine. Does not scratch at all (unless of course if you gouge it with a screwdriver or something :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
9,994 Posts
thanks a lot bluebatmobile....hahaha jk i remember when someone did that sorry i'm amusing myself....its been a long day.....anywho...i'll be doing this in the summer since its raining cats and dogs during my spring break this week =(

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just get some fabric dye. Two cans for the headliner, moonroof cover, and sun visors, one for the rear cargo cover.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nope, primer won't help the dye stick. Might even prevent it from sticking. Haven't used any yet, and the dye stays on perfectly, even when flexed.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
so where do u guys order these dyes from?
i hav to do mine after i saw the other guys interior

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
isn't that just spray paint tho?
i thought dye was kinda diff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts