NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to AAMCO today to get my car diagnosed. I've been hearing clattering at certain points of the clutch especially in reverse and 1st gear. If I keep the clutch at a certain point it clatters. Their mechanic said it was most likely the damper springs on the clutch (ACT has four of those springs on the center of the friction plate) being worn. Does that make sense to you guys? Would it really clatter like that if those springs were worn? I'm not sure whether I should then really for another clutch change or not.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
TRD japan clutch isnt bad. it feels like stock. I've always wondered if its really in there :rofl: 45 K miles and mine is still holdin up. tranny isnt but the clutch is lol

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
The springs are there to help dampen the shock of the clutch grabbing as it is applied. It helps to minimize bucking and grabbiness to some extent. When they go you will hear rattling like you do and the clutch apply process will be less smooth - probably feel a bit stickier and jerkier.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by hjkim483
that's exactly how I feel these days. AAMCO quoted me 475 for clutch install. Do you guys think that's reasonable? I personally think it's too high and I thought AAMCO quotes were valid and same nationwide.

Uhm sounds ok.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
hjkim483 said:
that's exactly how I feel these days. AAMCO quoted me 475 for clutch install. Do you guys think that's reasonable? I personally think it's too high and I thought AAMCO quotes were valid and same nationwide.
thats very reasonable - ask a dealer and the quote will be closer to $700+

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yeah, thats a good price. Here in tulsa, I got quotes as high as $900.00. I about crapped myself when they said that. I ended up getting it done for $375

·
Registered
656 Posts
WOW I think thats a little too much, you should shop around a bit, I got my clutch and flywheel put in for $250

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
hey jdm-style, doesn't aamco have this policy of having a same nationwide quoting system?
yeah they do. i talked to another member on this board that was quoted around the same price range.

·
Registered
656 Posts
hey jdm-style, doesn't aamco have this policy of having a same nationwide quoting system?
I think a lot of it has to do where you live, jdm lives in LA if his info is right, theres so many shops out in cali that they have to make the price low to compete with all the other shops. If I'm right New Jersey doesnt have too many performance shops, kinda like AZ.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts