NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,
i'm looking into buying a turbo kit from a member on the boards and i have a few questions. keep in mind i'm looking more to keep the budget low than to extract as much power as possible. i just need it to be reliable. i'll be happy with 230 at the wheels, i'm not looking to make a monster or anything here.

1. stock clutch: good enough for a turbo? if i'm only running 230whp i'm assuming that it is but has anyone had any troubles?
2. 65000 miles on the car but i just had to get the head pulled to replace the head gasket, so most of my seals are new. i'm guessing this means i've fine in that respect?
3. ecu: i don't have enough money to buy a pfc right now, i might get an emanage, but the guy is selling his kit with a SplitSecond ECU. what are your thoughts on this? also, is it plug in or do i have to wire it in? with a split second, i don't need to get a wideband o2, correct?
4. i know everyone will get mad at me for saying i don't need a wideband o2, but i'm really trying to keep the budget low. isn't it possible to just get the shop to use a wideband when they're tuning it, and then just use the normal one for daily driving?
5. do eManages need widebands?
6. the kit im looking to buy is an SF kit that comes WITH a fuel pressure regulator but WITHOUT a higher volume fuel pump and injectors. i'm going to be running about 5-6psi of boost on a small turbo (t3/t4) so i've been told that i don't need bigger injectors (although i will if i want to up it any more from there, i.e. i'm pusing the stockers to the limit)
7. can i actually run the car without an extra piggyback ecu and just the fuel pressure regulator? the seller told me this is possible so i just want to get everyones ideas on it.
8. the bare minimum recommended gauges are (correct me if im wrong): A/F ratio, Oil Pressure, and Boost amount, right? is a boost gauge even necassary?

and finally, for everyone who is going to say 'you sound like you're on too tight of a budget, you shouldn't be turbo'ing your car', thank you for the concern (honestly), but it's not that i'm totally strapped for cash, i'd just rather save as much money as possible. i'm just looking to make the car more fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
your only gauge you really need is a boost gauge. you can pick one up for $50 or so, and installation takes half an hour or so...

you don't NEED a wideband, but it is a good thing to have. if something goes wrong you'll want to know as soon as possible.

you don't need an oil pressure gauge.

you can run it on the stock ecu, but i wouldn't push it... it'd get you from A to B. you should really get an aftermarket ECU if your running any kind of turbo kit, and get it tuned by a professional.

lucky thing is your in a good area and there are alot of ppl that can help you out with an install and opinions. Boosted2.0 is one of them if i'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response. why do you say having a wideband will let me know about something early? how will it let me do that?
is it really alright to not have an A/F Gauge? i though those were the most important?
i wish boosted lived in dallas. im pretty sure he's in houston which is actually like 5 hours away so it's kind of a drive lol. i do however go to school near houston (A&M, if you're reading this boosted) so it might be possible for me to get it down to either him or little rocket to get installed and tuned but i'd have to ask them personally to .see i guess.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
say an oil seal broke or something... it would cause the engine to run overly rich, and the gauge would show you this. or if a plug got fouled and wasn't running correctly, it would show up too lean. In either case, you could tell that there's a problem with the system, and you could shut it down before more damage was caused.

However, these are here and there and it's not really necessary to have one permanently installed..

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
You will need larger injectors, stock will not be enough.
You cant run a Fuel pressure regulator unless you convert to a return fuel set up.
You need some sort of ECU for tuning, you cant just run a regulator and hope it will be all ok. When they it will be drivable on stock ecu they mean driving with half throttle and shifting at like 2000rpm.

How much is the kit, coz turbo kits full kit is like $2900.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn j factor i was afraid of someone telling me all this stuff cause that pretty much kills it. are you positive i need larger injectors? even at 5.5 psi on a small-ish turbo?
and why do you say the fuel pressure regulator won't work without a fuel return line? doesn't the regulator only plug into the single inbound fuel line? the kit is an SF kit and he's going to sell it to me for about ~1750, so it's a good deal i think. only downside is the split second ecu instead of an emanage.
what are the boards thoughts on the split second ECU. what are the emanages benefits over it?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
yeh considering people max their injectors NA, they are defiantly not enough for boost.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
want my advise? dont put the turbo kit on untill you have everything you need.

1. WIDEBAND O2
2. good ECU
3. FUEL to support.

you dont have any of these, dont install it until you do! boost and wideband O2 are THE most important gauges.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dang this sucks. lol you guys are really making it sound like i shouldn't go for it right now. so i'm guessing i'll try a new route: getting a pfc and wideband right now to complement the new boosted2.0 headers im adding, have that do for now and putting off the turbo for a year or until the summer. maybe i can even install the headers myself to prep for my own turbo install :eek:
thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
headers? you are getting 2 or more of them? and dont spend money on a HEADER if you are going to turbo.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
headers? you are getting 2 or more of them? and dont spend money on a HEADER if you are going to turbo.
I've had a Boosted ported manifold sitting around in my garage for about 2 years that i still have not gotten around to selling, i was planning on selling it for a 150 bucks if i got the turbo kit. and take some ADVICE, don't be an ******* about correcting people when you can't get things right yourself.

·
Oh Hai
4,252 Posts
if your pockets aren't deep dun go turbo, you can't just slap on a turbo and think that its never going to break down on you. leaving stuff out like a wideband and pfc is just going to cause u more trouble down the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
if your pockets aren't deep dun go turbo, you can't just slap on a turbo and think that its never going to break down on you. leaving stuff out like a wideband and pfc is just going to cause u more trouble down the road.
And that is the truth. First motor i blew, i bent 6 rods. Second motor, i cracked the head and took out a piston due to not big enough enjectors for the boost.

WIDEBAND and BOOST is a MUST have. Don't even think about turbo before gettin those first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.