NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a new Celica GT, and plan on using it for autocrossing. Here's the thing, I'd love to get the car w/ out the sunroof option but it comes at a cost, no ABS. That's just the way that they are making them out of Japan. My question is...Is it really an advantage to have ABS on the Celica? Is it worth saving the extra weight of a sunroof? I've read that there is a possible issue with the ABS engaging to early on the Celica and MR2 but have not been able to find any substantial information on it??

Those just a few of the questions that I have, but are the main ones which are holding me back from purchasing. Any help/info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff Hurst

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I own a GT-S without ABS, but co-drive a GT with it. Get ABS. You'll save enough in not flat spotting tires to pay for it 10 times over... - AB

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't have it (ABS) nor did I really want it. My tires stay just as round as anyone elses.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
nxracer said:
Personally I have never seen a GT with ABS
Yes you have.

Generally, I like having ABS and a sunroof. If I were taller than 6', I probably would regret the sunroof, but at just under, it doesn't bother me (and is nice for suction cup camera mounting and daily driving ventilation.).

The ABS has plusses and minuses on course, but I'm very glad I have it for daily driving. I occasionally get that early engagement/ice mode ABS on course, but not often enough to say I'd choose differently.

A sunroof/ABS car can win at the highest level...no doubt about that.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
i flat spotted my stock tires going from 70-0 on the highway trying not to hit these old people that pull in front of me. i locked my front up and flat spotted both of them. i am pretty sure i knew how to drive better i woundn't have lock my tires up, flat spot them and stoped quick(one reason i am going to start autoxing) but i did manage not to hit the car. Now i have better tires too. :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bring a helmet to a test drive to check the clearance. The ABS has been more of a nuisance than anything for me. It's difficult to bleed the ABS system if you get air in the ABS lines. I was having problems with "ice mode" untill I had a dealer bleed the ABS lines by triggering the ABS electronically while pressure feeding brake fluid into the lines. It also never snows in LA and only rarely rains. If I lived in a different climate I'd appreciate ABS more. The sunroof squeaks constantly too although it is nice for ventilation. If I could do it over again and could have waited months for a special order, I might have gone for a stripper GTS w/o ABS, leather and the sunroof.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good points, especially about the helmet. I'm short 5'7, but still had clearance issues with my previous vehicle, an integra with a sunroof. I thought about bringing my helmet with me but was really thinking that the salesman would think I was nuts. :)

Other than Eroks' bad experiences, which I had read about...looks to be 50/50 as to whether ABS is really worth it. It also seems to hold no real performance advantage on an auto-x course. Makes me feel better since it's looking like I don't have a choice anyways. I haven't been able find a black 03 5spd anywhere on LI. All the other colors avail have the roof minus, ABS. I guess I was given false info by one of the dealers. As the season is just about starting I have to move fast!! Thanks again.

Jeff Hurst
*who never worries about real life situations when setting up a car for auto-x

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Unless Toyota has changed things since 02, the sunroof and rear wing are "no cost" stand alone options for the dealer from the factory, so they are an extra profit or negotiating item for them. That's why most Celi's have them. Our dealer found us the only GT in 5 states without the wing and sunroof in the color we wanted. It's a good thing, my helmet rubs the roof in my driving position.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Besides not really wanting ABS, I just plain don't fit in a Celica with a sunroof. That, and its hard enough to see out the back without the silly spoiler, let alone with it.

When I bought my '00 in 2/00, there were about 10 zero option cars coming into the Northeast through Port Newark. I basically had my pick of color. Otherwise they had the power package and the foglights/spoiler. A few had the ABS/roof. Quite an incremental price difference too. It was a $2000 add for the first bunch of stuff, and another $1500 for the next. Made the price go from the high 16's I paid to almost $21k. And those were the best negotiated numbers below sticker at that time.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
preparedcivic said:
That, and its hard enough to see out the back without the silly spoiler, let alone with it.
But the flipside is that it does a good job blocking headlight glare from the rearview. ;)

Not to mention all that downforce. :chuckles:

Bryan

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not to mention all that downforce.
With as fast as Fort Myers was maybe that's why you won...oh wait, GH's car has a spoiler too....

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't miss ABS. My sunroof is the problem. I have to lean way back and tilt my head when wearing a helmet. The rear spoiler is a minor annoyance, but does block SUV headlights pretty well.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yeah, I like the spoiler. Typically it's a good measuring stick. If I can see thier lights below it, then it's time for a brake check, if the lights are obscured or above it, then usually it's OK.

Scott

·
Registered
997 Posts
erok said:
It's difficult to bleed the ABS system if you get air in the ABS lines.
I have never ever had a problem bleeding an ABS equiped car. Even my neighbors Corvette with it's 4-piston calipers (and ABS, of course) was no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts