NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I'm bumping this to add some personal experience with M7 mentioned in the article. I have a 202 Black with pretty bad paint, lots of chips, dings, scratches all over, and horrible acidic water spot rings eaten through the paint. I got it cleaned up really well and had a fantastic shine to the black paint finally but it wasn't a deep black gloss like I knew it should be, sort of a lighter black if that makes sense.

One application of M7 about 2 weeks ago and it's been a nice deep black since. It's not hard to work with, just get a sponge applicator sort of soaked with it (or honestly terry or microfiber, it really doesn't matter as long as there's a texture to the thing) and just rub it back and forth with medium pressure working it into the paint for a minute or two in a foot by foot area. Don't get over zealous and work a big area with it, you don't want it to dry, you want to keep the oils all stirred up for the duration. Rub it one way in a straight line for a bit, then go perpendicular (90 degrees) for the rest of the time. Let it sit for a minute roughly after you're done, then use a clean dry micro fiber and make one wipe in a straight line across the area you've just done. Then one wipe 90 degrees to the first wipe, then fold the towel and buff it off. If you don't do at least one wipe before buffing the towel tends to 'bind up' on the surface and is hard to get going. I like to over lap my sections by an inch to ensure total coverage.

Initially I did a little spot here or there to see if it made any difference in how the paint looked and I couldn't see it, not until I did the whole car. It looks fantastic and turns heads and gets compliments. If you own a Celica with single stage paint like Black or Red then M7 is a must, it probably helps on Yellow too and White to a certain extent but not as dramatically.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Good stuff bro, glad that you managed to bring some life back into the car's exterior.

Any before/after pics?

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Sadly no, I'm not sure my camera would pick up the difference but my eyes sure can. It looks great with a coat of M7 and two coats of M21 on it. I could go park it at a car show right now after dusting it off and get some compliments.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
A few snaps with a semi crappy point and shoot, all auto settings. One with flash and the rest without due to angles.

My fave, rear wing.

Like I said, it's really hard to pick up in pictures but the black is unusually deep for 202 paint code after using the M7 glaze and it retains the wet black gloss much better when topped with M21 sealer. It's kept the deep black tone after the M7 for almost 2 weeks now under one coat of M21, I did a simple wash and added 2 more coats of M21 on Sunday and Monday, then in preparation for those photo's I just dusted the car off since I park on gravel at work and the field next to parking got mowed.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
I like it bro. That first shot is awesome. I was thinking...why is he taking a picture of a wall with fixtures...the I realised it's a reflection :)

Makes me want to go back to having a conventional gloss paint job again :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Forums pretty much dead so who cares if I bump old stuff.

I found a NICE compound for working with 202 paint and when used with a Griots black foam finishing pad on my 7424XP DA polisher it left behind zero swirls. Paint looks amazing after this and it's not terribly abrasive when used with a soft finishing pad.
There's sometimes in stock a 4oz sample and that was enough to do a sedan, so if you're unsure get a sample and try it out.
https://tldproducts.com/collections/compound/products/the-last-cut-16-oz
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LJ3BYJS/ Black Griots finishing pad
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725JT16D/ Dual fiber cutting/polishing pad
The dual fiber pad is good for cutting out heavier defects in less passes or on clear coated finishes, it left a perfect gloss on my clear coated sedan in one pass on almost every panel except for some bad areas that needed 2 passes.

I like to seal with Rejex, but any good modern sealer will do fine. If you want crazy big water beading use some Collonite 476s paste wax, it looks really pretty when it gets wet and protects pretty well too.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I ordered a bunch of stuff from the AutoGeek fall sale, 25% off orders over $125 so I got some things I've been eyeballing lately, 2 product from Optimum. Their spray on Hyper Polish and GPS product, some more of the 2 pads I like, some more UWW+ for waterless washes and clay lube. Not a cheap order but I'll be set on things for the spring. I plan to try out the Optimum products on Erin's 2016 Escape to bring it back to looking new again and get some winter time protection on the exterior as well. I need to do some rust repair on one door bottom edge, but her work schedule never sees weekends off and it's getting too cold to any work on it outside now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts