NewCelica.org Forum banner

accelerating in 2nd gear (GTS)

796 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  GTSDOHCVVTLi 
#1 ·
Has any body noticed when U accelerate in 2nd at full throttle it seems like its holding back? I started in 2nd befor and went almost full throttle, then when then when I went full throttle it doesnt pull as hard as in almost full throttle. Does it not adjust the timing and a/f ration to maximize acceleration at full throttle when doing this?

#4 ·
mabey something is wrong because mine was kinda doing that i think but i took it to the dealer and they worked on it and now it pulls real hard in 1 and 2 gear at lift but 3 gear dose not seam as hard.

#5 ·
There are two ideas behind this:

1. Make sure your throttle plate opens fully at WOT. Sometimes, at WOT the throttle plate actually swings past the fully open position and becomes semi-closed, if it's not set correctly.

Have someone sit in the car (with it off), and with the intake taken off, observe where the throttle plate is when the accelerator is a WOT. Adjust if necessary.

2. The problem is at lower rpms an engine needs to ingest air slower than when at higher rpms. As engine speed increases, piston speed increases, and therefore the amount of time that a cylinder has to fill is decreased. At that point you need the air to be moving faster.

Much like an exhaust, where if you go too big (WOT), the air will not flow as efficiently through the intake tract (this includes the intake, manifold, AND throttle body. You effectively change the size of the intake by how far the throttle is depressed. What you're noting is how the throttle position affects intake efficiency.

#8 ·
barefoott4 said:
I would suggest that there might be some bogging involved. Assuming your sig is correct, Injen intakes have a bogging history. Make sure that's not it first (put your stock airbox in and see if it does the same thing).
Did Blue Bomber's mod and about 95% bogging is gone.

And the accelerating part was before lift at a 10-20 mph role. I wanted to see how long it would take the car to get to lift in 2nd. Thats when I noticed the partial and full throttle reactions vs. accelerations. The rate of acceleration in partial throttle is faster than full throttle until, of course, lift kicks in.

#10 ·
will check the tb p late and no theres no divider in the midpipe

#11 ·
GTSDOHCVVTLi said:
The divider in the stock midpipe is used to make the stock header at 4-2-1 design. Without this plate in the midpipe the header effectively becomes a 4-1 design... better for high horsepower if done correctly (but it's not since the exhaust pulses aren't spaced properly) which causes a loss of lower in the low/mid range

#12 ·
GTSDOHCVVTLi said:
At least after the cat. Didnt do anything befor the cat.

#14 ·
Sprayed my o2 sensors and cleaned my MAFS, seems to helped it. Gotta get new o2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.