NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sooooo, two years ago I had oil pressure drops through long turns on the track (sweepers and such) that more or less were irritating if not a bit troublesome. The problem is, I've since invested in a turbocharger setup and a decent suspension setup with some stickier tires and after taking a 3/4 speed practice run through a local track I am significantly more worried about the (now more apparent and much larger) oil pressure drop. Therefore I've begun to look at different options, beginning with a baffled oil pan, but some of the guys I race with have suggested an accusump or dry sump system, and since the latter is prohibitavley expensive I thought I'd ask if anyone had any experience with an accusump on the Celica and if so if they could recommend a good unit.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
Wasn't Ragnorak going to release one until they went under? or maybe it was MWR? If you can find any documentation for their work toward the project maybe it will save you time.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John B: There's a guy with en EF that has that exact same sump system. I wonder if our engines would be considered "high pressure". The other thing I was wondering about is where exactly one would plum the line into, especially since I have a turbo. I have an extra bung on my oil sandwich but I'm not sure if that's appropriate.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Baffled high capacity oil pan > Accusump

We've done both and I would definitely start with the oil pan. I believe oil starvation is responsible for many oil pump explosions and the accusump does not help with that issue, it only feeds the engine side of things. Preventing the starvation in teh first place is the best solution. For track use a baffled high capacity oil pan plus slight overfill with Mobil 1 works great. I don't know anyone who's had pressure issues with one of our pans.

We've done the Accusump systems and they do their job. Definitely an effective product but should be used as a last resort emergency backup safety sort of device.

For track use with a turbo you might also want to consider an oil cooler. Without a cooler it gets awfully hot.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
moroso oil pan or some other company with a baffled pan. of the oil is moving around in the pan you can't be sure that the sump will be able to pick it up, whether stock or aftermarket sump, you want the oil to stay in one place so you can pump it through the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.