NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my dadwith his newly bought 2002TL-S and i are driving to best buy. and a guy with a gts pull up along side us, 18in rims apr wing lowered and what looked like the HKS exhaust. as we were about to enter the highway its got quite the gts guy reved his engine i told my dad to race him and its been a long time since hes smoked and body (he used to have a sooped up doge colt:D ) so he said hold on and he reved the engine to 6000rpms and the light went green...boom the gts got and head start well we were there smoken the tires and 2sec later vroom in no less than 6sec we were doin 65 and had cought up to the gts i could tell when the gts hit the lift but when my dad hit his good by gts...yet and the end we were goin 135mhp and too a 12yr old that pretty fast i cant wait to get my GTS and i get to race him
:eek:
:explode

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding your lingo. who won ur dad or the gts?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry if this was unclear but yes my dad did win and the vtech engine in the tl and the same concept and the GTs's VVTLi vareable valve timing with lift inteligece when u hit a a certian rpm i think my dads is 6500rpms the lift kicks in and gives a boost of power (I think):confused:

·
Registered
292 Posts
This kid is only 12 years old i think that's why he's so incoherent!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JaySong said:
This kid is only 12 years old i think that's why he's so incoherent!
thanks for the comment that im supecting that u used that word so that i wouldnt know what it means but ur wrong and i only have so much experence and i dont have a clear understanding of this stuff cause i have no direct contact with anyone that knows more that me about cars besides my dad witch is never around so excuse my incorrect knowledg:mad: :flaming :explode
:bigannoye

·
Registered
560 Posts
Xracer729 said:
sorry if this was unclear but yes my dad did win and the vtech engine in the tl and the same concept and the GTs's VVTLi vareable valve timing with lift inteligece when u hit a a certian rpm i think my dads is 6500rpms the lift kicks in and gives a boost of power (I think):confused:
6500??? Isn't the TL's redline at 6500? My friend has a TL and hers redlines right around there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's VTEC not VTECH, it's not a phone company.

And yes, VTEC and VVTL-i has the same concept of lift, but not entirely, thanks for your quick definition on the differences. Too bad the TL-S don't have i-VTEC, or else it would have been much faster.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The TL-S is supposed to be good for sub 15s times, but I haven't heard of any owners taking them to the track yet. I have seen a TL-S beat a 6-speed GTS pretty handily though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Brett said:
what tiumes are the Acura TL Type S running at the track?
I believe the TL-S is running 14.7's.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
ok sorry bout the VTEC thing but anyways the redline is 7000 on the TL-S he hasnt run the track yet . he hasnt done anything to it cause he leased it and wants to wait till it comes out in 6speed to mod it but as far as i know the TL-S's can run 14.6 at best if he takes it to the track i'll let u know if u want also if i was incorrect could someone please explain the lift thing???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the 3.2 CL type S, which is basically the same exact thing, except the TL is a 4-door. I believe the CL and the TL run high 14's stock, and yes you do feel vtec kick in.......maybe not as agressive as the GTS, but you definitely feel it and hear it.......and the S has a ton more power down low.

Why would they put i-vtec in the S, they do that to give it more low end power and torque...........well the S already has a broad powerband and 233lbs of torque..hmmm.....

The only thing i can't understand from this kid is when he said his dad revved it up to 6000rpms and launched, i couldn't imagine revving that high..

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
That's what I thought too. The TL has a sportronic 5 speed auto, It would be very difficult to rev the car to 6000 rpm and launch it from there. There are some manual cars that don't even do that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
celicuzrule said:
I have the 3.2 CL type S, which is basically the same exact thing, except the TL is a 4-door. I believe the CL and the TL run high 14's stock, and yes you do feel vtec kick in.......maybe not as agressive as the GTS, but you definitely feel it and hear it.......and the S has a ton more power down low.

Why would they put i-vtec in the S, they do that to give it more low end power and torque...........well the S already has a broad powerband and 233lbs of torque..hmmm.....

The only thing i can't understand from this kid is when he said his dad revved it up to 6000rpms and launched, i couldn't imagine revving that high..
oops sorry my bad it was 5000rpms but still i also thought that and had read about that but he turned off the traction control ans didnt hold it there vary long:D

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Xracer729 said:

oops sorry my bad it was 5000rpms but still i also thought that and had read about that but he turned off the traction control ans didnt hold it there vary long:D
Still, it would be very hard to launch an automatic from 5000 rpm. Especially if the car is still very new.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well dont ask me how he did it cause i dont know... i feel i dont belong here... what do u think:confused: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts