NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i read abunch of times people cutting int9 the harness for the factory amp. FYI i have a 2000 celica gts. Im not wanting to add extra amps subs any of that crap, its heavy its bulky and it gets n the way. I simply want a head unit that isnt 20 years old. Im getting this.

So do i still need to chop into my harness or can i just wire it from the existing plug for the factory unit.

2000 gts 6speed

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,201 Posts
If you use the HU's amp, it is more powerful than the factory one & the OEM speakers will probably go eventually - plus there's the crossover/subwoofer issue.

If you use the pre-outs to the factory amp, you're probably going to have to do the Scosche Mod (see sticky). Unfortunately, I couldn't find a spec sheet on that HU that specifies the pre-out voltage level.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you use the HU's amp, it is more powerful than the factory one & the OEM speakers will probably go eventually - plus there's the crossover/subwoofer issue.

If you use the pre-outs to the factory amp, you're probably going to have to do the Scosche Mod (see sticky). Unfortunately, I couldn't find a spec sheet on that HU that specifies the pre-out voltage level.
I was afraid of that. F.... everything has to b difficult on the gts lol...

2000 gts 6speed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would it make more sense to just rewire all the speakers to the headunit then? Or do the mod in the sticky?

2000 gts 6speed

·
15,201 Posts
So would it make more sense to just rewire all the speakers to the headunit then?
Not really...... you'd end up having to replace the speakers. Plus the loss of Bass when you bypass the OEM amp to OEM spkrs.
Or do the mod in the sticky?
Probably the least expensive place to start. ;)

& yes... the OEM external amp/spkr arrangement in the '00-'02 is a pain.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really...... you'd end up having to replace the speakers. Plus the loss of Bass when you bypass the OEM amp to OEM spkrs. Probably the least expensive place to start. ;)

& yes... the OEM external amp/spkr arrangement in the '00-'02 is a pain.
Thanks for the info, how do i know which resistors to add. In his mod he used 60ohms. That a good base line?

2000 gts 6speed

·
15,201 Posts
how do i know which resistors to add
Depends on which harness adapter you use & the pre-out voltage (that I was unable to obtain). So, you're probably going to be doing some trial & error. However, 1V, 2V, & 4V seem to be some of the fairly common pre-out voltages. That Sticky is very lengthy. But, I highly suggest reading it in its entirety.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It- its like 260 posts lol... how would i find the information i need? I can call the manuf

2000 gts 6speed

·
15,201 Posts
how would i find the information i need?
By reading the WHOLE thread.... lol. Really, there are changes etc. beyond the 1st post and you'll gain a much better feel for what's gotta be done & why. ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i understand how and why it needs to have resistors added just not sure the amount

2000 gts 6speed

·
15,201 Posts
They don't seem to be very forthcoming with their specifications. I'd get resistor values for 2V & 4V...... or you can try playing a test tone & measuring w/a DMM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts