NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you guys who have read my posts for the past few months, you should know that my car has been at my mechanic's for the past 7 months now. It's finally slated to be ready next week, and I have brought my head to be port and polished. I will post pics when it's finished. Once my hondata heatshield gasket reaches winnipeg (on tues-wed), my mechanic can assemble the engine and re-insert it into the car.

My car will be running the TRD 13:1 compression pistons and my tank has about 1/8 of octane 91 left. I think it won't be a problem if I don't step hard on the gas but slowly drive it to the gas station that has 94 gas available.

I'm planning to put in 1 gallon of 111 racing gas for every full tank of 94. I have not ordered a power FC yet. I know that TRD used the JDM ECU when they used the pistons, and I think they were using Japanese pump gas. My question is, will my USDM ECU be able to benefit from the higher octane gas that I will be using? Or will it simply detonate?

mark

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
If you have a high enough octane fuel you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
If you have a high enough octane fuel you should be fine.
Exactly. I do think it's a little late in the game to be thinking of this now though.....

Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Originally posted by blueTRD My question is, will my USDM ECU be able to benefit from the higher octane gas that I will be using? Or will it simply detonate?

mark
The stock ECU doesn't add timing. It only takes it away when the intake temp goes up or it sees knock. I would get a datalogging device and log the timing. It should build as the revs do under steady wide open throttle. If you see the timing fall off you know you need more octane. If you don't see it fall off then you have enough or too much octane. More octane than you need doesn't help so If the timing is steady I would slowly back off the octane.

BTW. Don't put anything with lead in it in the tank. It will kill your o2's in short order.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
An easy way around this (and produce more power too) would be a new set of cams with some nice overlap built in. This would bleed down some cranking compression....problem is we don't have cams yet......yet.

lilrocketspyder is right though and it's good advice.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Red01GTS said:
An easy way around this (and produce more power too) would be a new set of cams with some nice overlap built in. This would bleed down some cranking compression....problem is we don't have cams yet......yet.

lilrocketspyder is right though and it's good advice.
Rofl - that would sort of negate the whole point of running 13:1 compression. (not saying cams are a bad idea, but bleeding compression isn't the answer to making more power)

Better yet he should just get a Power FC, some good gas and tune appropriately.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Originally posted by Boosted2.0
Rofl - that would sort of negate the whole point of running 13:1 compression. (not saying cams are a bad idea, but bleeding compression isn't the answer to making more power)

Better yet he should just get a Power FC, some good gas and tune appropriately.

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

I'll tell you what, instead of me getting into it with you and taking everything wrong and fighting.....just click here.

This is a known thing when building an engine, I'm surprised you don't know this.

http://www.victorylibrary.com/mopar/cam-tech-c.htm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts