NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a piece of the center console (shifter part) and it has carbon fiber on it from one of those overlay kits. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the overlay from this piece of plastics? Ive removed my TOYOTA badge off the rear w/ bumper sticker remover and dental floss. I dont know how these carbon fiber kits stick to the console plastic but I just wanted to know if this method of removal would be harmful to the console piece or if anyone had any better suggestions.

·
Registered
194 Posts
heat it up and put some dental floss under it to losen it up. its basically a stick so it should peel right off.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I took mine off and it is a paint in the @$$. just heat it up with a blow dryer and use a thin piece of rigid plastic that won't scratch the console, or dental floss. It will eventually come off.

·
Registered
19,933 Posts
I've done it before. Heat!!!

Also, sometimes that 3M stuff does not want to come off that well. That's when you need the power of fingernails and some sort of goo-off/rubbing alcohol. It's fun times. :thumbup:

·
Registered
547 Posts
How about remvoing the overlay and applying it to another console- is it possible to get it to stick as well as it once did? (i was considering getting the JDM center console, removing my current carbon fiber overlay and applying it to the jdm console.

·
Buck Futter
1,934 Posts
Originally posted by varghesea
How about remvoing the overlay and applying it to another console- is it possible to get it to stick as well as it once did? (i was considering getting the JDM center console, removing my current carbon fiber overlay and applying it to the jdm console.
unless you got some new tape it won't work.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
so your saying that if I remove part of my IPT dashkit to reposition it then ther will be NO putting it back on right??? Unless I get some kinda new adhesive? I was thinking I might try heating it up the npulling it off, reheating it up and putting it back on but now I am seriously considering not doing this.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Yes I imagine we could buy more adhesive but its getting the old, very thick 3M tape off of the c/f dash pieces that was once already tehe is what is going to bother me. I dont think pulling that tape of the dashkit pieces themselves is going to be any easy task.

Justin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.