NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Advise on New Car: MR2, 350Z, Supra, or ....

Hi everyone. I have decided that I am going to sell the celica and get a new car. Right now I don't know what to get. I have been looking at the 350Z but always wanted a 93-97 supra tt. I know I want to go turbo and rwd. The supra are hard to come by and usually are expensive. So here is my situiation. I have about 24-25k in cash after I sell the celica and various stuff. Here is what I have looked at so far:

93 MR2 Turbo:

about 9-11K for it, save some money and buy another car down the road. My question is...how fast are the mr2 with stock turbo and the basic upgrade on it? I know the old car still uses distribution cap but that shouldn't matter. Am I going to run into a lot of problems with this car? I need a fast reliable car. I have been browsing through the mr2 forum but don't know where to start. If someone can give me a run down of the Mr2, i would appreciate it.

2004 350Z performanace package:

about 32k or about 34-35 OTD. Finance about 10 or so. I know the 350 are high 13 stock and can be made to go fast and have some fun in the twisties.

2004 G35 Coupe:

its about 35K or 38-39k OTD. I took a look at this car and its way to luxury for me. Its not really for me. I love the look of it though but I just don't know.

2005 STI:

about 34-35 and about 38-39 OTD. I sat in the 2005 and man its a nice car. The inside is nicer than the any subaru that I sat in. The throw of the shift are really short. Overall I like it but its a 4 door and awd.

So yeah if you guys can give me your opinion on this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
if you can find a Supra TT...i'd go with that...the STi is would be a good choice in my opinion...

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
34-35 on the STi?? Are you in Canada and you're using Monopoly money figures?

Anyway.. you need to decide what you want.. the cars you listed have very little in common.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I want a car that is in the 13s and is capable of going faster. It needs to be reliable seeing that its my daily driver. It must be RWD. AWD would be nice seeing that I can take it up to the snow and what not but I drive on the freeway a lot so I kind alike a car that has topend. Supra is a topend monster (everyone knows that) and 350z has good topend. Not sure about the mr2. So yeah thats basically what i am looking for:

1.reliable
2.topend...just in case someone picks on me on the highway, :p
3. RWD
4. turbo would be nice but I can live with N/A I guess.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Get the MR2 Turbo!!! Those 3SGTE motors are awesome. There's a bunch of people on the forums pushing over 300+ rwhp, and a few over 500+ rwhp on stock internals!! With basic bolt ons, you can easily be in the 13's!!! It's also a lot cheaper than a Supra plus i think you can make it look a lot better IMO.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
350Z all the way.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You have a couple of good choices, but the obvious answer here is the supra.
The MR2 is a nice car and has a great engine, but its gonna be hard to find one that has low miles. My friend got his 91 mr2 turbo with 120k miles for like 10,500. His car runs great and takes corners really well. but like all old cars, its gonna have its share of problems.

The sti is a great car as well, however i see them around everywhere. That is why the resale value for those car doesnt seem too great. If your intrested in power, the supra is better.

About the 350z, i personally dont like this car too much. The car looks kinda cheap. I've been in one before and i was like.... meh.
Its somewhat fast but nothing that a celica gt turbo cant handle.

That leaves one choice, the supra. It has a great engine and is made with quality parts so the car is quite reliable, just make sure you take proper care of it. With intake, ehaust, boost controler, a fuel cut controler, and downpipe, it'll put over 400rwhp. lastly, its a turbo. my friend who has a 94 supra, he said once you go turbo, you cant go back. And i can understand why, his car is crazy fast.
So highly consider the supra, but just remember to check how much insurance will cost ya. Can get quite expensive.

·
Registered
767 Posts
IMO...the STI 300hp AWD 6speed and.....a turbo...its great for the snow..:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its hard to find a supra that isn't overpriced with low milage. There is however a lot of supra going on sell lately because people are preparing to buy the new supra that is coming out in 2006. I'm hoping I can snatch one up but we shall see.

Can someone tell me more about the MR2 turbo? I'm kinda interest in that car because of its engine design, mid-rear. I want to start learning how to take corners and what not. What kind of problems can I expect from the MR2 turbo?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Tuppuguy
You have a couple of good choices, but the obvious answer here is the supra.
The MR2 is a nice car and has a great engine, but its gonna be hard to find one that has low miles. My friend got his 91 mr2 turbo with 120k miles for like 10,500. His car runs great and takes corners really well. but like all old cars, its gonna have its share of problems.

The sti is a great car as well, however i see them around everywhere. That is why the resale value for those car doesnt seem too great. If your intrested in power, the supra is better.

About the 350z, i personally dont like this car too much. The car looks kinda cheap. I've been in one before and i was like.... meh.
Its somewhat fast but nothing that a celica gt turbo cant handle.

That leaves one choice, the supra. It has a great engine and is made with quality parts so the car is quite reliable, just make sure you take proper care of it. With intake, ehaust, boost controler, a fuel cut controler, and downpipe, it'll put over 400rwhp. lastly, its a turbo. my friend who has a 94 supra, he said once you go turbo, you cant go back. And i can understand why, his car is crazy fast.
So highly consider the supra, but just remember to check how much insurance will cost ya. Can get quite expensive.
The interior of the Z looks alot more refined than the STI/CELICA so what were you comparing it to when you say its "meh"?

Also, a turbo celica GT is still not a Z. Its like saying since a Turbo celica GT can match a Z'S time then there is no reason to get an S2K, SRT4, G35, Mustang GT etc.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by lowendfrequency
People are buying STi's for $28k new, the prices you listed are outrageous.
:werd:

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
The interior of the Z looks alot more refined than the STI/CELICA so what were you comparing it to when you say its "meh"?
In the STi's defense, the '05 interior is nicer than the '04 interior. No Lexus but it's definitely nice.

john

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
It's really easy to get Subarus at invoice. You might not be able to do it on the '05 yet, but you definitely, definitely don't need to pay MSRP.

Check out the regional forums on www.nasioc.com

john

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Butt Dyno
In the STi's defense, the '05 interior is nicer than the '04 interior. No Lexus but it's definitely nice.

john
Yea, I have noticed that. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:

Also, a turbo celica GT is still not a Z. Its like saying since a Turbo celica GT can match a Z'S time then there is no reason to get an S2K, SRT4, G35, Mustang GT etc.
The interior is ok but i dont like the look of the car too much. It just seems alittle cheap for some reason. I'd rather pay alittle more and take the g35 coupe instead if i had a choice. But hey, thats my personal peference.

as far as the turbo celica, what else could a 350z have that a turboed celica wouldnt have? What else would a s2k have that a turboed celica wouldnt have? The only thing i cant say the same for is the g35coupe b/c this is a luxury car.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts