NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it replace the front O2 sensor or do you need to weld a new bung on the pipe? I'm considering replacing my front o2 for maintenance, but I'd also like one of these. Wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I'm pretty sure you have to have another bung welded in. If you have the PFC and Datalogit then you can get rid of the secondary o2 sensor in place of the AEM UEGO system and datalog the wideband on the Datalogit. Im pretty sure you can't get rid of the primary o2 sensor in place of the AEM system. The PFC actually uses the primary o2 sensor for lean burn cruise mode.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Jesse IL said:
Does it replace the front O2 sensor or do you need to weld a new bung on the pipe? I'm considering replacing my front o2 for maintenance, but I'd also like one of these. Wondering if I can kill two birds with one stone.
You can use it to replace the stock o2 - it has 2 outputs - one is a zero to 5 volt and the other is a 0-1 volt that spoofs a factory sensor.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I loooooooooooooove mine (I got the gauge version)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Will this fit into the factory bung? I know it can emulate the factory sensor, but was wondering if a different type of bung is needed. If I can use the factory bung I might need to get one of these as well. I'd definately like to get an AFR gauge.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: Re: AEM UEGO controller

Boosted2.0 said:
You can use it to replace the stock o2 - it has 2 outputs - one is a zero to 5 volt and the other is a 0-1 volt that spoofs a factory sensor.
OK, now that I look into this thing, its looks like you only get the dual outputs when you purchase the separate controller. The gauge type controller only has the 0-5 output. With the Power FC, can you use the 0-5 output or do you still need the 0-1 output?

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well this is interesting. I've been spending some time this evening reading the AEM forum and it looks like the AEM UEGO is a bad way to go when using a PFC and Datalogit. Apparently the Datalogit is unable to log the signal from the thing. I am gonna go register at the RX-7 board and see if I can find more of what these guys are talking about.

·
Registered
822 Posts
the gauge has both outputs, I know because I got it.
I don't know if it logs into the pfc though, one output is a serial and the other is designed for the EMS

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Jesse IL said:
Well this is interesting. I've been spending some time this evening reading the AEM forum and it looks like the AEM UEGO is a bad way to go when using a PFC and Datalogit. Apparently the Datalogit is unable to log the signal from the thing. I am gonna go register at the RX-7 board and see if I can find more of what these guys are talking about.
Hmm - thats odd - its supposed to be able to log any 0-5V signal via the additional inputs on the datalogit dongle box.

and like Tomcat says the gauge type should have both outputs.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boosted2.0 said:
Hmm - thats odd - its supposed to be able to log any 0-5V signal via the additional inputs on the datalogit dongle box.

and like Tomcat says the gauge type should have both outputs.
The thing has a "0-5V user programmable output". I looked at a wiring schmatic of the thing. There are four or five selectible modes for the output. The few RX-7 guys who were using the AEM UEGO with the Datalogit found that the signal was all over the place, even after spending lots of time chasing power and ground ideas. One guy said he found the same problem when using a Techedge wideband. I have two concerns. One, using the AEM EUGO, will the PFC even be seeing a clean signal? Also, what voltage input is the thing looking for? It would kind of suck to get a nice 0-5V wideband sensor and then have to use the lower resolution 0-1V output.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Here is some info I got from the datalogit forum with Techedge hookup to Datalogit:
steve
you do not need to connect the 0V connection on the datalogit. But instead, i would recommend connecting 0V from the techedge to AN2 of the FC-Box, then selecting "Delta AN1-AN2" on the Setup->Auxilary window. This will help eliminate any "ground loop" errors.
I would also check what raw AN1 voltage you are logging. 14ish AFR should be around 2.5V whereas 9.08AFR you are seeing sounds like ~0V.
Steve
BTW don't ask me how to interpret that info, it was someone who had a question on hooking one up to his SR20DET

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. It sounds like they're bypassing the ground from the Datalogit to the PFC. Delta would indicate that the PFC is looking at the difference in the ground voltage (AN2) and the sensor voltage (AN1). The AN1 voltage would come from the Datalogit since it is logging the sensor voltage.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Jesse IL said:
The thing has a "0-5V user programmable output". I looked at a wiring schmatic of the thing. There are four or five selectible modes for the output. The few RX-7 guys who were using the AEM UEGO with the Datalogit found that the signal was all over the place, even after spending lots of time chasing power and ground ideas. One guy said he found the same problem when using a Techedge wideband. I have two concerns. One, using the AEM EUGO, will the PFC even be seeing a clean signal? Also, what voltage input is the thing looking for? It would kind of suck to get a nice 0-5V wideband sensor and then have to use the lower resolution 0-1V output.
They are probably using the sensor ground on the ECU - I have noticed that widebands are very noisy when you use that ground. I now use the body ground from the factory O2 sensor for both of the wideband ground circuits on all the widebands I wire up, and it works like a charm.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Boosted2.0 said:
They are probably using the sensor ground on the ECU - I have noticed that widebands are very noisy when you use that ground. I now use the body ground from the factory O2 sensor for both of the wideband ground circuits on all the widebands I wire up, and it works like a charm.
Unfortunately, these guys had gone as far as wiring the thing directly to the battery, so I don't think that is the case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts