NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a good run while it lasted, but after 5 years of having my ANSA Silverline (first mod on my car :wtc:), I finally got pulled over for it :/

It was around 1:30AM last night as I was coming back from my girlfriends house and live close enough to where my engine doesn't even heat up fully before I am home. I was pulling out of the freeway off ramp when I see a cop finishing up pulling someone over. I head down the street to go home and pass the cop and the car that he just finished up. I get no more than a block down letting go of the gas as much as I could without dropping below 30mph, and he ends up right behind me and the lights come on. At this point, I am literally a block away from my house... SO CLOSE!

There were two cops in the new Explorer SUVs and one of them seemed new as he didn't know the fines when it came to fix-it tickets. They were pretty cool cops, though... not assholes like some other ones I've encountered.

Cop: Good evening.
Me: Good evening, sir. How are you doing?
Cop: I'm alright. The reason I pulled you over is because your exhaust is a little loud. It's 1:30 in the morning, man! People are sleeping... (said it in a joking manner).
Me: Sorry about that. It's a little cold so it's not normally this loud.
Cop: I understand, but you still can't have a modified exhaust on your car. I also noticed you have some pretty dark window tint.... you're also pretty low.
(At this point I'm freaking out thinking "NOT MY COILS!" :scared:)
Cop: License, registration, and proof of insurance?
I hand him my stuff...
Cop: You take this car to the track often?
Me: Not really. I'm track-ready, but still have yet to go to the track. Busy with school at the moment.
Cop: Really? Never? You have any other modifications under the hood?
Me: Just an intake...
Cop: Is it legal?
Me: Yes, CARB legal.
Cop: Do you mind popping the hood?
Me: Sure.
(Pop hood and go open it for him)
Cop: Everything looks fine. No headers?
Me: Nope. Just intake. Other than that, completely stock.
Cop: Alright. You can close the hood now. You don't have a baffle for the exhaust?
Me: I did, but I lost it (I really didn't lose it, but I don't want him to know that I don't want to put it on)
Cop: Oh ok.
Cop: So I'm going to have my buddy write you up a fix-it ticket for just your exhaust, the reason being that you seem to be doing everything right unlike some other people with their mods like body kits and stuff, but you just can't have that loud of an exhaust. You have a nice car here.
Me: Thanks :)
Cop: You can get back in your car and keep warm.
(First cop leaves and second cop comes to my window)
Cop2: Alright, so he explained everything to you on what you have to change?
Me: Yes, sir. Exhaust.
Cop: Alright. I'm just going to have you sign here...
Me: Do you happen to know how much this ticket will be? (I already knew, I just wanted to see if I'm getting fined for anything else or if the price went up at all)
Cop: Uhhh... I think it's like $15? $20?
Other cop: $25!
Cop: $25.
Me: Alright.
Cop: This is a nice car, man.
Me: Thank, you :)
Cop: Alright, you have yourself a good night.
Me: You too.

So yeah... that was my experience last night/this morning. Like I said, it was cool that I didn't get some asshole cops, and it was also cool that they liked my car (even though it's dirty as all hell with the recent rain we have been having and my front wheels are pretty black with brake dust from my new Hawk HP+ pads)

But anyways... after 5 years of driving, I have never gotten a fix-it ticket for anything. I did get a speeding ticket before not too long ago, but I went to traffic school and got it signed off and its all done and over with.

But I was wondering... if I pay the fine of $25, is there any way of me being able to keep the exhaust? Or is it a given that I have to remove it and put on the stock one? Like I said in the beginning, it's an ANSA Silverline and I know it's pretty loud, but I don't know for sure if it passes the 95dB level. If I can put a resonator on it, I will look into it. I just don't want to put the stock one back on because it'll look super tiny in the back since I'm so used to the one I have now :/ It gives it a nice look, in my opinion. It can get a little loud at times inside the cabin so that's why I don't mind putting on a resonator if I have to, but I'd also have to see how much they cost to put in if it's worth it...

tl;dr: Got a fix-it ticket for loud exhaust. Is there a way to keep the exhaust?

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One funny moment I should add to the story was that as I was about to get into my car after we checked under the hood, I went to pull the keys out of my pocket and a little plastic container that looked like I was hiding a stash of weed or something fell on the street by my door. The cop pointed the flashlight at it and he just looked at me and I was like "Sorry, it's wax... I have braces..." and he was like "...ok"

I lol'd in my head a little after that.

·
2,644 Posts
what i did for the fix it ticket was just put the stock one on, get it signed off, and put the silverline back on ( have the silverline as well )

i have the "fix it" ticket in my glove box, and i've used it to say i've fixed the problem, so i never get tickets lol

but cali is a bit stricter so.

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
When i got my exhaust ticket. (Kazuma style exhaust :ugh:) I had a choice of fix it or pay a more hefty fine. ($116) I just elected to pay the $116. You should have an option to just pay the fine. In Florida fix it tickets are not binding in the sense that you HAVE to fix it. It's just a way to avoid fines. Personally i felt paying $116 for my exhaust that ive had for 6 years now is well worth it. Plus the cop that pulled me over seemed to be having a bad day. He came at me really sideways for no reason.

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to my world... But Damn, $25 is cheap. Mine cost $125 a piece.
I'm not worried about paying the $25, but I just want to keep the exhaust :/ But yeah... $125 sucks :0

sell the car and get a prius
I am not worthy of being on the Ervino level :hide:

serious though......that sucks
hope you can keep the exhaust gio
I hope I get to keep it too :/ I mean yeah, it's loud sometimes and I can't talk with my girlfriend in my car without yelling sometimes, but I still love that thing :)

what i did for the fix it ticket was just put the stock one on, get it signed off, and put the silverline back on ( have the silverline as well )

i have the "fix it" ticket in my glove box, and i've used it to say i've fixed the problem, so i never get tickets lol

but cali is a bit stricter so.
Do you think there will be a bigger fine if I get caught again with the exhaust? I mean I know it doesn't go on your record... so that's why I ask.

And what do you mean you keep the ticket in your glove box? You mean the ticket that the cop gave you? Doesn't it have a date on it?

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When i got my exhaust ticket. (Kazuma style exhaust :ugh:) I had a choice of fix it or pay a more hefty fine. ($116) I just elected to pay the $116. You should have an option to just pay the fine. In Florida fix it tickets are not binding in the sense that you HAVE to fix it. It's just a way to avoid fines. Personally i felt paying $116 for my exhaust that ive had for 6 years now is well worth it. Plus the cop that pulled me over seemed to be having a bad day. He came at me really sideways for no reason.
So from what I am understanding... you EITHER pay the fine OR fix it? I thought you had to fix it AND pay the fine.... Is that not how it goes?

·
2,644 Posts
I'm not worried about paying the $25, but I just want to keep the exhaust :/ But yeah... $125 sucks :0

I am not worthy of being on the Ervino level :hide:

I hope I get to keep it too :/ I mean yeah, it's loud sometimes and I can't talk with my girlfriend in my car without yelling sometimes, but I still love that thing :)

Do you think there will be a bigger fine if I get caught again with the exhaust? I mean I know it doesn't go on your record... so that's why I ask.

And what do you mean you keep the ticket in your glove box? You mean the ticket that the cop gave you? Doesn't it have a date on it?
no i keep the "fix it" for proof i fixed it lol, so cops think that it used to be even louder ;)

and yeah it has the date when i had the fix it signed off (last april or something)

and i BELIEVE there's a bigger fine, but if you have proof you fixed it, you shouldnt get messed about with it

gotta pay to play tho

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Pigs man, sucks at least you got cool cops (if there's such a thing), i'd just pay the ticket there no way i'd get rid of that exhaust especially since you've had it for so long. Glad i live where i do cops just let us be for the most part.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow that sucks man, I'd never even heard of fix-it tickets till I read this thread lol.
Hell, we have cops here who have their own cars that are straight piped. My town has an annual "ride the strip" night downtown, and on those nights the cops even let the non road-legal drag cars drive around town.

Anyway, hope you can keep it man. If not, Ill buy it ;)

·
(..+
2,523 Posts
So from what I am understanding... you EITHER pay the fine OR fix it? I thought you had to fix it AND pay the fine.... Is that not how it goes?
depends county to county in your state but in my county its fix it OR pay the fine. For example if you get pulled for tint too dark its either fix it and pay like a 10$ processing fee for the paperwork/proof of fix or dont fix it and pay $116. Also the fine doesn't increase it's just fix it or $116 every time. Being that you have gone so many years without incident I wouldn't worry about fixing it. I look at it as the one ticket I've gotten for it over the last 6 years is well worth keeping my exhaust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no i keep the "fix it" for proof i fixed it lol, so cops think that it used to be even louder ;)

and yeah it has the date when i had the fix it signed off (last april or something)

and i BELIEVE there's a bigger fine, but if you have proof you fixed it, you shouldnt get messed about with it

gotta pay to play tho
Oh ok. That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea :) I didn't know they gave you a ticket stating that you fixed it. I thought you just went to get it checked off visually and you were good.

I will check if I either have to pay the fine AND take the exhaust off or if I have to remove the exhaust OR pay the fine. Do I just call CHP for that? Go in person? I'm new to this :hide:

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pigs man, sucks at least you got cool cops (if there's such a thing), i'd just pay the ticket there no way i'd get rid of that exhaust especially since you've had it for so long. Glad i live where i do cops just let us be for the most part.

You're lucky, man. I love California, but for us car guys, it's a tough life...

keep the exhaust

get busted again

and get a ref ticket. those are fun ;)
Haha thanks for the support, hoe-bag ;)

What's a ref ticket? I always see people saying they're horrible, but I've never been able to get a good definition about what they are and why they're so bad :shy:

depends county to county in your state but in my county its fix it OR pay the fine. For example if you get pulled for tint too dark its either fix it and pay like a 10$ processing fee for the paperwork/proof of fix or dont fix it and pay $116. Also the fine doesn't increase it's just fix it or $116 every time. Being that you have gone so many years without incident I wouldn't worry about fixing it. I look at it as the one ticket I've gotten for it over the last 6 years is well worth keeping my exhaust

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
Yeah, they didn't give me an option to pay or fix it at the moment they gave me the ticket. They just said $25, so I didn't know what that was for. I was assuming I had to take off the exhaust, pay $25 for pretty much wasting their time, and realize how much louder the world around me is on my way home...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
How loud are the Harleys ridin around your area?
Use to kill me when cops harassed me about exhaust. But a bike could ride around straight piped.
I'm so old now they don't mess with me. LoL

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
How loud are the Harleys ridin around your area?
Use to kill me when cops harassed me about exhaust. But a bike could ride around straight piped.
I'm so old now they don't mess with me. LoL
Motorcycles are governed by different sound laws than cars, retarded I know.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
lol lilmexicanboy, $25 is like....nothing!

one time i hit lift in 1st gear to 9500rpm right outside a police station. Pops and bangs on the overrun.

I got pulled and basically anally raped by the health inspector! I got the equivalent of a $500 dollar fine and a summons to the court! :wtf:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts